It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaming can make a Better World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This Was a Great Insight On Online GAming

"Games like World of Warcraft give players the means to save worlds, and incentive to learn the habits of heroes. What if we could harness this gamer power to solve real-world problems?"- Jane Mcgongal

Gaming Can Give you a better at life.
edit on 16-1-2011 by Gom3z because: Editing

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
conversely, in most RPG's and mmorpg's you have the option to be evil and destroy worlds!!!!

they are still great, just depends how you want to play

be good

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gom3z
This Was a Great Insight On Online GAming

"Games like World of Warcraft give players the means to save worlds, and incentive to learn the habits of heroes. What if we could harness this gamer power to solve real-world problems?"- Jane Mcgongal

Gaming Can Give you a better at life.
edit on 16-1-2011 by Gom3z because: Editing

I see your point. But its one thing to pretend, and another to actually do. Video games are man made creations and naturally man enjoys violence. Or else, you wouldn't have violent games. Video games teach how to save the world with violence. Violence is what is destroying the world. But there is a real-world problem saver. It's called unconditional love. And the angel that visited me last night before I went to sleep emanated that perfect love. It felt pretty awesome. Video games only leave me feeling drained and cut off from society and love. I know from experience what can be said as truely valuable. And video games and such forms of entertainment are exactly what we don't need.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
So, Gamer, we have a problem, we need to get all this food over to a poorer country, how do we do it?

Gamer:Lets see, press A and B to do super drop kick, that might work.
Or you could spawn an Eagle Dragon to drop care packages from the sky.
Or you could hire government officials to do the jobs there paid to do???

If 3 billion hours spent playing a week doesn't solve world crisis' I don't know what would.

I can't watch 20mins of that nonsense.
edit on 24-1-2011 by Chukkles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

Don't knock it until you try it...

Besides playing games doesn't require you to sit on your arse anymore.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

I play games with no violence, so you must be playing the wrong games. You can play games without violence.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I've spent months of my life playing video games of all genres. In any case, they distract you from reality and turn you into a zombie. One thing the world needs is less zombies. I really don't use electronic entertainment anymore except for the occasional movie with my girlfriend. I don't really watch T.V. because such forms of entertainment distract me from reality and drain my energy. I only use the computer for practical purposes like information and informing.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Gaming stimulates your mind at least... regardless of what kind of game you're playing at least your solving things, socializing, conquering or what have you.. (aside from your typical shooting game...god i hate those)

TV is the real problem, sit and stare while the media fills your head with bullsh!t and brainwashes you into buying more and more...

and in this day and age its 100X worse then ever, TV's are beautiful and vivid now compared to a few years back.

1 Mcbrainwash please with a side of lazyness

they even deliver

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I believe gaming is great for the world, and anyone who says else wise is a fool.

So you could not allow your kid to play games, so instead sure, they might do physical activity, or they might just sit on their ass all day.

While gaming, you are constantly thinking, constantly problem solving, learning new skills, working your hand eye coordination, working your fine motor skills, learning to be more sociable in online games, learning how an economy works. Kids can get our their pent up rage by blowing heads off fake AI, instead of going to their school and blowing the head off the teacher they hate the most.

Whats wrong with that? I think all these anti-videogame nuts, are either, pissy parents who are mad they didn't get the fun toys kids get, or just believe anything they hear.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by doom27
I believe gaming is great for the world, and anyone who says else wise is a fool.

So you could not allow your kid to play games, so instead sure, they might do physical activity, or they might just sit on their ass all day.

While gaming, you are constantly thinking, constantly problem solving, learning new skills, working your hand eye coordination, working your fine motor skills, learning to be more sociable in online games, learning how an economy works. Kids can get our their pent up rage by blowing heads off fake AI, instead of going to their school and blowing the head off the teacher they hate the most.

Whats wrong with that? I think all these anti-videogame nuts, are either, pissy parents who are mad they didn't get the fun toys kids get, or just believe anything they hear.

I'm a 21 year old college student. I've grown up with the evolution of the game systems starting with nintendo to xbox 360. I've been playing games all my life. Then I woke up.

Maybe it is good for all those things you said. But getting a job can have all those benefits too, and more, and you ACTUALLY contribute to society, instead of just pretending to.

And the thing about video games is, they are so "fun" that you get addicted to playing them, and all those skills you learn just get used for more gaming. So what good is a skill if you only use it in pretend-land?

And what pent up rage? Video games cut you off from the world around you and you focus all you attention on the screen and only the screen and only things that have to do with the screen. After a while, everything around you ceases to matter because you only truly care about the screen. You begin having conflicts with the people around you, and become intolerant of people and eventually your real-life situation. So, in this way, you are causing all your pent up anger by your attraction to the screen. So yeah, you get rid of it by shooting fake people, but you also caused it from playing mario and neglecting reality. I know this because this describes my life for years. When I left video games and television behind, I began to enjoy the simple things in life again.

top topics

join