It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is meditating harming our world?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I was listening to a guided meditation when something disturbing occurred to me.
To begin, I was lead to relax, breath deeply, form a protective white light and ground myself.
Now all of this was familiar as I have been meditating daily for some time, but when it came to the point of imagining roots coming from my feet and going down, deep into mother earth, something didn't sound or feel right.
The instructions were to let all of my negative thoughts and/or emotions leave my body and go down into the ground. Discard all of this negativity deep within our earth!
Well, it kind of shook me up a bit as I imagined millions of people meditating and sending all of their negativity into the ground. In fact I had to stop that meditation and perform a different one, where instead of sending negative fodder into the earth, I was sending light and healing.
Has this occurred to anyone else, or am i being overly sensitive.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I don't think you're being overly sensitive. For one thing, IMO, a meditation shouldn't concentrate on negatives at all. And sending them into the earth? Yikes! I would have stopped, too.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Wow, thats an interesting thought.. It would have to be experimented on to see if thats what really happens.. I personally think the negativity doesnt really release from your body. Meditation is just a way to relax and sooth your mind and body.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ashflash

I would be far more likely to trust my own intuition on such matters if the revelation came to me while meditating, if you catch my drift

If the visualization that you were doing felt unnatural to you I would say go with the one that does feel natural.

As far as our collective negative emotions having some kind of a harming effect on the Earth, it would be hard to say for certain. I've heard many "gurus" state that the earth can easily recycle our "negative waste" so-to-speak. But in matters of the metaphysical it is hard to be exact about such things, and it is indeed a personal journey.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Hi.
Mine was a chakra cleansing meditation, so I wasn't really focused on negativity, though I guess we all have a bit we could do without. What worries me though is, this is not the first time I have heard that we should let any negativity flow downwards, into the earth.... That can't be right.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Yes but was it part of a particular meditation or was it another free-style new age mix and match. I would suggest that the alchemists had better techniques of transformation of base metals into gold. The new age is just so much bunk.
edit on 14-1-2011 by tiger5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Positive thinking brings about negative effects, lol.

Postive thinking gave the world america, one of the most violent places on earth, with a gov to match.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Try an experiment

Purchase a crappy houseplant..something you really dont care for.

Now, for a few months, wish it death, pour every ounce of negative energy onto the plant. Yell at it, hang every single problem on it, etc.

Make sure to also give it some sunlight, water, etc..the mechanical necessities it requires to be alive and thrive..

After a few months with all your most vicious negative hate centered on it...check its progress...is it wilted and dead, or thriving and green regardless of what you were wishing and thinking about it.

That should tell you how much mother earth gives a rats arse about your feelings and energy...or 6 billion strong. If you cant mindkill a single plant, what do you think your puny size can do to a entire globe?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
my good man were earths cancer . Almost everything we do is negative towards the earth.

we # on the earth

we piss on the earth

we steal resources from the earth

we mess with earths protective layers

we sluaghter animals in the billions ofr our consumtion

we pollute the rivers oceans rainforests

we ccreate towns villiages citys regardless of what other species might be there

do you really think a little bit of your "negative energy" will even compare to what we already do on a daily basis?

have you ever thought earth is trying to get rid of its cancer (humans) with all these natural disasters ?

MOTHER NATURE IS SICK OF YOUR NEGATIVITY AND ALL THE OTHER HUMANS
Im sure if earth could talk it would tell you to GTFO lool

but of course this is based on a philisohpical view of an darwinian evolutionary path ....

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

Hi Tiger5
I don't think it matters what type of meditation it was, though I won't be listening to it again, what I find disturbing is the fact that I have heard these guided instructions before.
My point is that surely, discarding negativity into our earth cannot be right.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I have always had that theory too. Is it possible?

Look at it this way, I don't do any meditation or any of that but due to the current climate, whats been happening all over the World it's hard... very hard, not to feel positive about anything!

So that leaves me with this... Regardless if you meditate or not, can thoughts and feelings have an adverse effect on the World as a whole?

Interestingly enough I have just finished a screenplay about something like this!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

Well, a little bit of my negativity will ad to your negativity will add to Joe Blogs negativity anon.
So maybe we should all try and be less negative and try sowing some seeds of positive thought and in doing, perhaps heal the earth.
By the way, I am a woman.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

saw this on Mythbusters, It doesnt matter how you talk to your plant, yelling and screaming while playing deathmetal, or talking sweet to it it playing classical music, they both did the same. As for the plants that were ignored and not talked to, they didnt do as well.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

So what do you think about my experiment?
That could give you proof one way or another verses just speculation...

unless you are just wanting speculation over substance of course, but then why even ask verses state.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Hypothetical question. Could your negativity connect up with any local negativity? I don't know. The type of meditation does matter because behind the simple exercise would be a complete philosophy to explain why you do such an exercise and what are the weaknesses therein. THis philosophy would have been tried and tested over several different people and over several years.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by alittleironic

saw this on Mythbusters, It doesnt matter how you talk to your plant, yelling and screaming while playing deathmetal, or talking sweet to it it playing classical music, they both did the same. As for the plants that were ignored and not talked to, they didnt do as well.

Yes, now, there are two conclusions to draw from that.

the obvious...yelling and screaming = carbon ignored = not carbon. Simple mechanics

If you want to go into some philosophical angle, then you can state..to a plant, energy is energy, it cares not how humans label energy, it isn't thinking and accepting what we deem is good or bad, it accepts it all...

So, hugging a tree, or choking a tree and calling it the most vile names is equal to the tree...it simply looks at it as energy.

Its sort of egotistical for a human to think that their judgement on energy somehow is a universal truth and that they hold sway on the earth based on their perceptions.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I had to smile at your reply. I am happy to say that I do not possess all of the negativity required for your experiment, and I care very much for plants.
But, you seem so sure that my puny size makes no difference and that is the point I thought I had made.
If millions of people are meditating negativity into the ground, will it damage our earth.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashflash
If millions of people are meditating negativity into the ground, will it damage our earth.

No

Read the former reply from me for reasons why not...

Humans really need to get over themselves as the moral judgement of the universe.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
More about anthropomorphic principles regarding nature.

A very old native tale:

There was once two mighty mountains, one to the east and one to the west. These two giant mountains were seen from all over and were leaders of all other mountains.

One day, a fire fell from the sky and killed one of these mountains, the mountan queen. She crumbled. The loss was so great that the king mountain became enraged, blowing up and creating land

The rest of the mountains, seeing their rulers die in such a way, became eternally saddened and cried. Their sparkling water tears rolled down from them to create the streams and oceans
forever they mourn the loss of their mountain king and queen. From their sadness, they allowed the life of all things to live.

Balance

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashflash
reply to post by seedofchucky

Well, a little bit of my negativity will ad to your negativity will add to Joe Blogs negativity anon.
So maybe we should all try and be less negative and try sowing some seeds of positive thought and in doing, perhaps heal the earth.
By the way, I am a woman.

oh yea ? seeds of postive thoughts you say ? how will that destroy earths cancer? (humans) ?

just because my conclusions seem negative it doesnt take away from reality .

Be less negative stick our heads in the sand and sing lala in our heads to clear our minds and be selfish and get inner peace while the rest of the world suffers and the criminial politicians in power still...

i have a better idea how abotu we get off the meditation and start the mass education ? just an idea .......

top topics

<<   2 >>

join