It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Confirms Lightning Storms Create **ANTIMATTER**

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Designed to scan the heavens thousands to billions of light-years beyond the solar system, the Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope has now recorded some more down-to-Earth signals. During its first 14 months of operation, the flying observatory has detected 17 gamma-ray flashes associated with terrestrial lightning storms.

NASA's story here: NASA detects ANTIMATTER above thunderstorms

For well over a decade, scientists were baffled by strange lightning phenomena in the upper atmosphere. Jets of plasma were observed shooting cones of electrified particles into the upper atmosphere above thunderstorm systems; these were called blue jets. Other phenomena were recorded, including unexplained flashes of light that seemed to have no origin.

NASA's Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope found a source for the unexplained flashes of light: positrons ---ANTIMATTER particles. Yes, the same ANTIMATTER used in many science fiction stories, including the ever-popular Star Trek franchise.

Several thoughts come to mind... Can we harness this energy, and if so... HOW can we harness this energy? Did ancient man harness this energy, somehow? How does having ANTIMATTER in our atmosphere affect our day-to-day life on the surface? Could this be connected to Tesla's claims about harnessing an atmospheric energy to power his infamous "death rays?" Is this affecting our magnetic field, and could ANTIMATTER explain why the magnetic North Pole is shifting? Also, have TPTB (The Powers That Be, a.k.a. World Elite) known about this for decades, for the theory of antimatter was postulated waaaay back in the 1930s (during Tesla's time)? There are so many possibilities here. Your opinions and insights and thoughts are highly welcome...!

Many, many questions. Let's see where this take us...

edit on 14-1-2011 by GhostLancer because: Typo

edit on 14-1-2011 by GhostLancer because: Typo

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
The antimatter they're discovering is probably so minute that it you can't really notice it at all.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by GhostLancer

Big stuff here, real big stuff. Now the question is how do we safely collect/contain this anti-matter.
edit on 14-1-2011 by DevilDog0311 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ledzeppelin489

Well its an entire beam of antimatter hitting FERMI, which then collides with FERMI's electrons turning FERMI into a giant Gamma ray source. So I'm guessing its a decent amount of antimatter.

link   

Originally posted by ledzeppelin489
The antimatter they're discovering is probably so minute that it you can't really notice it at all.

Look it up, read some articles, look at the pics.. its a significant amount. There is a vid in this link that will show you the size of the burst.

www.nasa.gov...

"The GBM has detected gamma rays with energies of 511,000 electron volts, a signal indicating an electron has met its antimatter counterpart, a positron."

some more info for you since I gave the same link the OP did!
scienceblogs.com...
news.nationalgeographic.com...

edit on 14-1-2011 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by DevilDog0311

Not even necessarily contain or collect, but just manipulating it would be great/terrible.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Dear GhostLancer

A really good find.

So here we are with the Michio Kaku idea of graduating to a class 1 civilisation.

On the good side star trek here we come.

On the bad side armageddon here we come.

Which wins????

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by drkylefletcher

Before we can manipulate it, it needs to be collected in order to study it.

I was thinking the same thing, this could be a very good thing or a very bad thing depending on how we decide to use it. IE: A new type of a weapon that would make an atom bomb look like a firecracker. Or an alternative means of energy. This could destroy our planet or save it from imminent destruction from pollution.

Either way, this is the first step in what I can only hope is a series of many ground breaking scientific discoveries.
edit on 14-1-2011 by DevilDog0311 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MAC269

Dear GhostLancer
A really good find. So here we are with the Michio Kaku idea of graduating to a class 1 civilisation. On the good side star trek here we come. On the bad side armageddon here we come. Which wins????

Which wins... indeed.
On one hand, we harness this potential energy source and expand into the stars, ala Star Trek and the Federation-styled exploration, learning even more about our Universe(s). On the other hand, we harness this potential energy source and use it to wage warfare with each other, fighting over our petty resources which ends in the ultimate destruction of our race.

PERHAPS THIS IS THE INTRODUCTION TO A GREAT TEST.

How we handle ***POWER*** might determine whether we are here several years from now or not. Elements of our race are, indeed, barbaric. Can we control this potential new power? Do we have the WISDOM in which to wield it? Only time will tell.... For some strange reason, I believe that each of our *individual* actions can determine the FATE of our planet, can chart our DESTINY. It's like that butterfly flapping in the wind, --in that Chaos Theory example.

Each of us is that BUTTERFLY. So, the question is... "How will you flap your wings...?"

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

I'm no physicist, but from what I've read, anti-matter (positrons, as one type) cannot coexist peacefully amidst 'regular' matter such as electrons in the same space. The energy created by such an explosive event is off the charts apparently.

I'm curious as to how nature copes with this anomaly without an explosion so massive we'd all of known about it! I recall being taught that anti-matter can exist naturally but must be kept away from it's alter-ego for precisely this reason -- thus some form of safe containment device is necessary if such particles are to be captured and stored for research or future use; a device which will prevent the matter and anti-matter particles from making contact with each other in the same physical space.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by tstfortruth

I suspect rather than an electron/positron interaction - these gamma rays might be coming fromthe collapse of an electron on tothe surface of a proton to create a neutron.

www.lnhatom.com...

Possibly the biggest development in atomic and nuclear theory in over 200 years, the Lattice Nested Hydreno model takes science to the next level of fundamental understanding, explaining many of the greatest mysteries of the Universe in truly astounding detail. Contrary to the assertions of Bohr and Rutherford, it is intuitively obvious that the structure and geometry of the nucleus must have a direct bearing on the properties of the atom as clearly evident in this radically new atomic model.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

+

+

=

?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I guess that is why ufos are attracted to lighting storms . Quite often when ever there was an electrical storm this last summer, when I was doing night shift for highway construction. I would see self luminous balls of light flying in and around the clouds. When I would see them the majority of the time was before or after storm cell was passing over . 3 times these self luminous things where stationed for 10 to 15 minutes over the oil refineries.

I am kinda of shocked nasa has come out with their new findings on this and arsenic microbes. Tesla had the knowledge of how to tap into free energy. And the elite gain nothing from it so it was discarded. Just as I am sure anything from tapping into this energy source will be withheld from the public and i am sure some people would rather wait until every last natural resource is used up. Still none the less very impressive and good find , I didn't hear anything about this till just now .

Anti gravity has been developed and for decades on small scales www.youtube.com...
here is guy who has figured out how to it from Canada.
If we could harness the power from matter and anti matter with anti gravity I am sure that it is enough power needed to travel beyond the speed of light. A little while ago scientist where able to briefly break the speed of light.
edit on 17/1/11 by freedomSlave because: after thought

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by tstfortruth

I'm no physicist, but from what I've read, anti-matter (positrons, as one type) cannot coexist peacefully amidst 'regular' matter such as electrons in the same space. The energy created by such an explosive event is off the charts apparently.

I'm curious as to how nature copes with this anomaly without an explosion so massive we'd all of known about it! I recall being taught that anti-matter can exist naturally but must be kept away from it's alter-ego for precisely this reason -- thus some form of safe containment device is necessary if such particles are to be captured and stored for research or future use; a device which will prevent the matter and anti-matter particles from making contact with each other in the same physical space.

You are right. When matter and antimatter meet, the result is supposed to be HUGE. Very good observation. Apparently, either our ideas about such things are off, OR... (as you suggested) Nature might be coping with this in some way. There had been a documentary on PBS several years ago about LIGHTNING and how lightning strikes are responsible for the REGENERATION OF OUR MAGNETIC FIELD, ---the very same magnetic field that deflects dangerous rays from the sun.

Hmmmmmm...

Perhaps our upper atmosphere is an antimatter generator that replinishes and strengthens our magnetic field, thereby saving us from the solar radiation that moon conspiracy theorists state would have killed the astronauts.

A STAR FOR THAT OBSERVATION!

new topics

top topics

join