It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One more reason to laugh at New Jersery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Illegal to pump you're own gas, hollow point bullets specifically banned for whatever reason, blow-out haircuts and guidos.

Now this:

The bill, introduced by Democratic New Jersey assemblywoman Cleopatra Tucker of Essex, requires owners to register bikes with the Motor Vehicle Commission for $10 dollars a piece or face fines up to $100. A license plate would be issued and will have to be displayed when riding on public roads. Plates would be valid for two years.

Bike Reg

What happened to the new era of sense that Christie was supposed to be spearheading?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
As a kid I had a license plate on my bike with my name on it. I guess that will cost extra now.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Reply to post by stonergeek

Hahaha

Vanity plate fee.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Man that is ridiculous. A license plate for a bicycle??? Next you will need a license plate on your a$$ to walk on the sidewalks..
edit on 13-1-2011 by SKinLaB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I thought the use of bicycles was supposed to be encouraged. That's crazy.
Give it a couple more years, to walk anywhere will require a license plate across one's butt.

Looked up after posting this, seems the above poster and I, picked the same thought out of the air.
edit on 13-1-2011 by snowspirit because: like minds are noticed

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I will say this, I lived for years in NY, and NJ had the least expensive gas in the entire northeast, and you never had to get out of your car (something very nice during the middle of winter). Seemed like a silly law, sure, but the price and convenience were both right.

Now, I have to go get my license plate for my new Huffy! Peace...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Im thinking they'll go with mando helmets for anyone who wishes to go outside and those helmets will be registered, tagged and have a GPS tracking device on them.

New Jersey is insane, I know why my dad left that state when he turned 18.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Reply to post by robinmorningstar

Policy would be one thing. Making it illegal is outrageous.

Around here if a gas station is closed you can still fill up at the pump with a credit card.

Try that in Jersey and they haul you away. You have to drive around until you find an open station where some employee can smile at you like you're incapable of performing this highly skilled task.

What's the reason for it? How many gas stations blow up because of people pumping gas the wrong way?

It's like there's some great gas attendant lobby who wanted their job to be regarded as a skilled trade and lobbied for the law or something.

ETA: hahaha I was close:

Proponents of the ban argue that it creates jobs and customers like full service.

One of 2 states with such a law. Enacted in 1949.

edit on 13-1-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
So do you have to have a license? For instance would children have to obtain a bike license?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Will there be separate speed limits for bikes?
Will people be ticketed for not obeying the rules of the road on a bike?
What reason is there for bike licenses other than income?

Any day now meteors... any day now.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
On cold winter days when I have to pump my own gas I yearn to be back in NJ
Plus it provides more jobs.

License plates on bikes seems a little extreme...this probably won't pass.

edit on 1/13/2011 by ~Lucidity because: i forgot to comment on the actual topic!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
On one level, I don't have a problem with this. The bike lanes, bike trails and special traffic crossings for bikes are payed for with gas tax money and registration fees. Its about time our 2 wheeled friends help pay for the cost of their 'special needs'. I don't know what it is like now, but I grew up in Denver and back in the 50/60's if you did not have a license on your bike the leo's could and would take your bike.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Why single out NJ for this? A lot of cities and municipalities require owners to register bikes. Most of California already does this.

License, register and tax every bike in Oregon? Not likely
Kansas Bicycle Registration and Licensing
and so on...

I suspect this bill in NJ will also go down in flames. Seriously, google "bike license" and you'll see it's already in place in many cities.

There are plenty of other, more valid reasons than this to laugh at NJ, of course most of them are "snookie" related.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

She's not even from NJ. None of them are.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Is there a test I wonder....I can imagine the officer running alongside the biker, with clip-board in hand giving instructions.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Seems time to study New Jersey executive powers. If the governor has the power of veto, this would be a fine time to use it if ever came to his desk.

The ONLY positive I see is that they are actually using the processes set forth in their state constitution to bring about the law, rather than some back room bureaucratic pencil pusher making a new 'rule'.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
That nuclear missile that burned up in it's silo in Jersey seems to have leached into their drinkin' water and made them all mad.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Here's a reason to laugh at New Hampshire:

If you love music, you may be interested to know that it is illegal in New Hampshire to in any way keep time to music you are listening to through any means, including nodding your head, or tapping your feet, in a restaurant or tavern, and that is only one stupid law in the state. Are there any music lovers among legislators in the state?

Stupid Laws in New Hampshire

new topics

top topics

join