It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should The United Kingdom Become a Republic?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
So far im really happy to see the majority, if not in favour at least pragmatically, supporting our monarchy and i think it's a good sign for the future of our Kingdon.

I say God save the Queen, and come may make sure you stock up on ibuprofen its gonna be the best excuse for a public lash up since 1966 or 1982 (falklands) and i wasnt alive ( in this incarnation ) for them.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
The impression I get from talking to people is that many are looking forward to it. It's a day off work, for starters, an excuse for a piss up (always popular with Brits) and will bring communities together for street parties and the like. Of course, there will be some who bemoan the cost, but as I understand it they are paying for the bulk of it themselves, apart from security.

True but I was just suggesting it may not be as popular as previous ones, I'm quite excited at the prospect of a three day working week to be honest!

Indeed and that is very much the case here in the UK. It is generally well liked by the people and any opinion poll going back as far as you like shows a majority support for the status quo and the monarchy.

Ye, I read something a little while ago which said it cost 61p per person in the UK to have the Monarchy, and I think that is pretty good value.

If you look at the countries with presidents, although they might be elected they also tend to come from a selct few families or social cirles and are often pre-selected by parties or interest groups before going to the polls.

Well at least we get to choose which rich, corrupt politician we want in power, always a joy @: but yes, generally it seems an education at Eton is essential if you want to get far in British Politics, which is a shame.

The Monarchy is central to our constitunional way of doing things, even if they no longer exercise their power to any great length. Also, for alot of people, it's a link to our past and represents an embodyment of our culture and Heritage. Naturally, there will be some who do not like the Monarchy, but that is their right. For me, as an Englishman and British citizen/subject, it makes me proud that we have developed this system over centuries, the history of it is fascinating and, like it or not, it has influenced almost all democracies around the world.

I do not envy the Royals either. They may, from the outside, appear rich, powerful and enjoy priveledged lives, but if your in lione to the throne, your life is not yours and is run by the State. They are prisoners, effectively, albeit very well taken care of prisoners.

Again completely agree, just trying to present a fully rounded argument

p.s: I am getting used to ATS, but posting this took a bloody lot longer than I thought it would lol

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MoneyRain

I remember as a kid how the nation was gripped with the fervour of the Queens Silver Jubilee in 1977.
Street parties everywhere and a genuine feelgood factor.
I was nearly 12 and just started listening to The Sex Pistols and The Clash.
Of course the day was all fuelled by alcohol; my Dad and all the other dad's had spent the afternoon in the local and the mother's had all been drinking sherry whilst getting everything ready.
And of course there was plenty of can's knocking about for us young 'un's to take a few and them not to be missed.

And then the public got completely wrapped up in the Charles and Di wedding in 1981.
By that time I was nearly 16 years old and didn't really buy into it but the nation as a whole certainly did.
I think I spent the day with my mates drinking snakebite, persuing a girl of alleged loose moral fibre and generally being a nuisance around town.
All the dad's were in the pubs and the women drinking sherry washed down with Concord.

William and Kate seem like ok sort of people but I can't really see the nation being gripped anywhere near to the level they were in those two instances.
No-one I know really cares apart from it being another day off work, those that do work that is. Everyone is far too worried about their jobs and future's and can't really afford an extra day in the pub now because it's that frigging exprensive!

I'll raise a glass to them and wish them all the very best for the future and then hope they keep out of my life

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

i agree with you m8ty could not have put it better or said it better myself

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join