It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should The United Kingdom Become a Republic?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman1

Trust me, I'm calm....if I wasn't you'd know,

Not much nowadays get's me really wound up, too long in the tooth for such nonsense I'm afraid.
But I do like passion!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Why?
What gives them the right to 'try something new'?
If they comre up with a viable alternative form of government which the people of this country agree to then ok, otherwise they have no more right than you of I.

I am as proud an Engldhman and Britain as anyone but I would genuinely rather die than meekly submit to their will just because of some alleged, ancient birthright!

Firstly I have no love for the Royalty, and have no intention of ever bowing to anyone.. and as I have stated on many threads see them as no more than a yoke around our necks (tho preferable to having Maggie, Blair, Brown or Cameron as President *shudders*)

But they (the Royals) currently have the position and power to do good for the peoples of the Isles, but seem to choose not to, so perhaps doing something new that is for the good of the people might be a nice change. The caveat is that I really do not feel they (or Parliament) care enough about the people to bother doing anything anyway.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

RESPECT lol.
No passion is good! Keeps life interesting (sorry john major)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I would tend to agree with the majority of that.

The Royal Family has had more than enough time to try and do what is best for this country and it's people rather than themselves and a select, elite few.

As I'm sure you are aware, I've repeatedly stated my opinion that the party political system has failed us and we need radical electoral and parliamentary reform banning party allegiance.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

And that was the content of my original post on this thread

Take my MP, Norman Baker, a man of principle (so I thought) going after the Gov over the Dr Kelly affair etc... however as soon as he gets a sniff at a minister position we get the rubbish he'll quit rather than vote for the student rises and yet in the end he backed down on his principle to follow the party line.. So much for principles in our Gov..

I am utterly disgusted by them all... and we need a radical reform.. but I draw the line at Republic, as I am deeply concerned it'll turn into a modern version of our last attempt, and we'll end up with another Crowned Republic.

ETA: I was throwing out the idea that perhaps they should do something before they make themselves more redundant than they already are, but I suspect my wording was rather rubbish

edit on 15/1/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Before you think about getting rid of the Royal Family (which by the way is not within your ability), you have to come up with something to replace it.

President Blair - Mandelson - Brown - Millipeed - Cameron - Clegg? I don`t think so!

"First Lady" Cherie? Vomitive!

I have met Charles a few times in the RN and he is an honourable man. Met Anne once in Holyrood Park and she is a decent, down-to-earth woman (who needs a new hairdo but she can`t be bothered). I also met three MPs and, although they were all from different parties, were nothing much.

So who would you LIKE to run the Country? Celebriteeees?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Vince Cable was one of the few politcians I had any respect for and thought he was a man of conviction yet look at his role in the whole, tawdry affair.

It is obvious to me that 'men' of conviction and honour are few and far between nowadays, do we kid ourselves that they were more common yesteyear or is power such a consuming force that it corrupts all but the very best of men?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by exroyalnavy

Me, thoughtsfull, blupblup, mr-lizard and stumason.

Quite a broad spectrum of personalities but all definately capable and thoroughly unscrupulous!

I think between us we'd make a decent go of it!

ETA.
Forgot laurauk, apologies.
edit on 15/1/11 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Get away, you`re just after the expenses!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Yeah righ tIs it because I zz black you left me out???? Let me be prez and let all weep! See the signature and run.

Seriuosuly there is a lot wrong about the UK. I do not see why abolishing the Royaly would solve any problems whatsoever. Can some one explain how abolition would solve anything??? It is not as if the queen involves herself in much of our daily lives.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

Lol.
Apologies, most remiss of me.
I'm sure we could find a suitable role for someone as esteemed and emminent as your good self.

I think that was the point I and one or two other's were trying to make; until we can come up with a more desirable solution for a relatively unimportant problem I think we have far more pressing issues which need addressing as a matter of urgency.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I also had a high regard for Vince Cable.. but I really took it hard when Norman Baker backed down on his threat to quit.. regardless of throwing the system into disarray.. principles matter.. well they do to me.. without making excuses for them, the system they inhabit seems to me to be the main corrupting force.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by stephinrazin
I do not understand how you can support a monarch? Is conditioning that strong? A family manipulates and controls the future of you country?

Only a stranger could say this. Anyone in the UK knows they have very little power. They are (imo) a quaint anachronism. A bit like the ancient beams and other features in my old house. You wouldn't find many new houses built in this way. And I like it.
The Royal family brings in tourists. And believe it or not, they do a fair bit for charity and trade.
I do think they will get less relevant as years go by. But it will be a natural process - which is as it should be.
There are a few 'royalists' around. And a few 'anti'. But seriously most of us can't be bothered. It's just NOT THAT IMPORTANT.

edit on 15-1-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
To me it just seems so strange that a very average family can get away living in such pomp and privilege,, owning swathes of the country and expecting us to pay towards their up keep. Does anyone deserve to live like

I grow weary of repeating this, but here we go again..

The only Royals to receive any money from the State are the Queen and her consort. They recieve around £30 million a year, mostly for upkeep and expenses incurred being Head of State, hosting State visits, that sort of thing.

Now, it is currently derived from the civil list, which the monrachy exchanged with the State in return for handing over the vast majority of Crown property. The State owns and derives an income from the Crown Estate to the tune of around £250 million a year.

In 2013, this will change so the Monarch will receive around 15% of the income of the Crown estate, capped at around 30 million.

So whatever way you look at it, not even counting the tourist income to the country, they don;t take a penny and contribute alot of cash to the treasury.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Haha, now that would be a Government to reckon with!

Who would be PM? I would like the Defence portfolio..

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I have been argueing the same point about the Crown estate for ages, people are not interested im afraid. But of course your right, the shame of it is if we ever get a president they will either make a law so they can keep the estate, at which point they will sell it or it will return to the rightfull owners, and the taxpayer will pick up the bill in the long run for whatever tripe they replace it with.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I suppose this is something that is going to looked into in more detail in the future, as money is getting tighter and the big spectacle of the Royal Wedding has the possibility of not actually being that popular, especially in these financial times.

Although when you look across the world countries with a Constitutional Monarchy are some of the most peaceful in the world like Norway, Japan, Sweden, Denmark, Grenada and Canada. In these countries it is embedded in the history and culture, and is generally accepted and liked.

Arguments against usually start with the question why should this person be there by heredity and not by popular choice? Also a counter argument to the issue of stability is what additional role does monarchy play in a democracy that is not already covered by the roles of existing institutions?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoneyRain
I suppose this is something that is going to looked into in more detail in the future, as money is getting tighter and the big spectacle of the Royal Wedding has the possibility of not actually being that popular, especially in these financial times.

The impression I get from talking to people is that many are looking forward to it. It's a day off work, for starters, an excuse for a piss up (always popular with Brits) and will bring communities together for street parties and the like. Of course, there will be some who bemoan the cost, but as I understand it they are paying for the bulk of it themselves, apart from security.

Although when you look across the world countries with a Constitutional Monarchy are some of the most peaceful in the world like Norway, Japan, Sweden, Denmark, Grenada and Canada. In these countries it is embedded in the history and culture, and is generally accepted and liked.

Indeed and that is very much the case here in the UK. It is generally well liked by the people and any opinion poll going back as far as you like shows a majority support for the status quo and the monarchy.

Arguments against usually start with the question why should this person be there by heredity and not by popular choice?

If you look at the countries with presidents, although they might be elected they also tend to come from a selct few families or social cirles and are often pre-selected by parties or interest groups before going to the polls.

Also a counter argument to the issue of stability is what additional role does monarchy play in a democracy that is not already covered by the roles of existing institutions?

The Monarchy is central to our constitunional way of doing things, even if they no longer exercise their power to any great length. Also, for alot of people, it's a link to our past and represents an embodyment of our culture and Heritage. Naturally, there will be some who do not like the Monarchy, but that is their right. For me, as an Englishman and British citizen/subject, it makes me proud that we have developed this system over centuries, the history of it is fascinating and, like it or not, it has influenced almost all democracies around the world.

I do not envy the Royals either. They may, from the outside, appear rich, powerful and enjoy priveledged lives, but if your in lione to the throne, your life is not yours and is run by the State. They are prisoners, effectively, albeit very well taken care of prisoners.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

To Rocketman1

Should The United Kingdom Become a Republic?

My answer ' NO'......

Next question please !!!!!

To all those who say 'Yes' then good, but remember it is that situation which has enabled you to say 'Yes' and if you do not like it then May I suggest you go and live in France or something and Stop Fecking complaining about it...

Best Regards

PDUK

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I personally believe the current system of monarchy brings in a lot of tourists and investment
In these times we need all the money we can get

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join