It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sundiving Comet Storm 1-12-2011

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Sundiving Comet Storm 1-12-2011

science.nasa.gov

Jan. 12, 2011: The sun has just experienced a storm—not of explosive flares and hot plasma, but of icy comets.

"The storm began on Dec 13th and ended on the 22nd," says Karl Battams of the Naval Research Lab in Washington, DC. "During that time, the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) detected 25 comets diving into the sun. It was crazy!"

Sundiving comets—a.k.a. "sungrazers"—are nothing new. SOHO typically sees one every few days, plunging inward and disintegrating as solar heat sublimes its volatile ices. "But 25 comets in just ten days, that's unprecedented," says
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
It is just a matter of time....There was one seen just last night or early morning hours,that whats been going around here in Arkansas.It was seen here and another state.I think there was something on the web about the one that was seen in Arkansas 1-12-2011.It was a surprise and I think we are overdue for a BIG Surprise.Just think if a very large Comet hit the sun or a planet,astroid was pulled into it.It might be over as we know it.Would we have a warning?Would our _blank_ warn us in time before they hightailed it?

science.nasa.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 13-1-2011 by Highergrounds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Okay everyone breath deeply:

Size matters. a large comet would be 20KM across. the sun is 1391980 + KM. Even if we see a super duper comet on steriods of 40KM acroos the difference would negligable.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Highergrounds

Emerald meteor lights up the Southern USA skies on Tuesday night

January 11, 2011 9:15 pm PT

Licensed to TheWeatherSpace.com , image of 1-11-11
Meteor from viewer in Little Rock, AR looking Southwest

(TheWeatherSpace.com) -- A meteor came crashing into the planet over the Southern Plains late Tuesday night. Witnesses described the color as greenish-blue and like lightning.

The flashing is quite common with a large meteor burning through the planet's atmosphere.

The meteor was seen from Florida through to Oklahoma and zipped across the sky from southeast to northwest.

A couple photos were sent in to TheWeatherSpace.com. One from Southeastern Oklahoma, and a new one surfaced from Little Rock, Arkansas. Both show a bluish-green meteor.

1/12/11 update: One photo was believed to be a false photo, as found elsewhere on the Internet. A new one was uploaded to TWS from the batch received. Our team looked everywhere for an identical one of the current one and did not find it. The new photo is believed to be the emerald meteor.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
You guys do understand that these surprise comments aren't really a surprise. They are small. I've seen very large green comets (and watched them travel for distances not just flash and gone) many times driving down the highway. Meteors the size of cars and enter or atmosphere every year, I doubt we really keep track of comets that small, and they break up in the atmosphere.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
People need to get a grip on what is a comet and what is a meteorite. They are two extremely different things.
What was seen in Arkansas was a meteorite, it is nothing terribly special, meteorites enter Earths atmosphere all the time it's perferctly normal.
As are Sungrazing comets for that matter, it may be higher numbers than usual but it's all good data.
edit on 13-1-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

You are right. Also might want to explain to anyone that doesn't know that meteors only enter the earths atmosphere, meteorites impact earth.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by tiger5
Okay everyone breath deeply:

Size matters. a large comet would be 20KM across. the sun is 1391980 + KM. Even if we see a super duper comet on steriods of 40KM acroos the difference would negligable.

I am not worried about comets or anything else hitting the sun. I just do not want get in the line of fire. A 20KM to 40KM comet may mean nothing to the sun but if we get in the way we are going to have a very bad day.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
ok.

everyone just calm down.

it's going to be alright.

Comets happen, all the time.

I'll give you something to worry about.

Our Massive military with it's ridiculous budget.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by vermonster

Comets happen

Now that would be a good bumper sticker

Sorry carry on

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I always wonder when any scienctific agency claims that something is unprecedented.
What they mean to say is

"Even though the earth and the solar system are much older than any of us can imagine, we have not seen this is the 100 some odd years that we've been watching."

I am sure that even these recent events have happened historically many,many times, it just wasnt noticed.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

You are toooo funny! i was reading and it was all serious and then i saw your comment LOL Yes it would make a good one.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Same thread posted in Fragile Earth
can we join em up?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join