It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Man's Loss Is Another Man's Gain

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
"every action has an equal and opposite reaction"

this doesn't just apply to physics

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I don't know about good luck... my memory gets hazy thinking that far back. But if this OP is your way of saying you won the lottery, I am single, only a few states away, and very low maintenance. Well except that I want a Ferrari.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Lol at talking the banks money. In a round'a bout way, that money is just fiat that only has "worth" applied to it buy the reciever of said fiat.....it's backed by nothing in reality!

I should say I don't feel responsable at all for that kids death either. But it did make me think. If I had stole his cash(have no use for credit cards), it may have prolonged his life to the point where he could have died in a drug binge closer to his family maybe...I only ponder such things though because I DID contemplate stealing the cash. I wouldn't go back in time and change anything that I did though, years later I have yet to starve and the universe seems to constantly lay various kindness' in my lap.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Oh, Heff, how I wish it were so. To have a man of your calibre for only the price of a hot rod! *swoons

But back to reality, the OP is fairly hypothetical, to discuss the title topic, and what people believe it means. So far some interesting discourse on the topic!reply to post by Hefficide

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
My daughter and I had a small business, she was going to the bank to get change for the register. She ask me to write down how many 20's 10's 5's and 1's She was getting change for a hundred dollar bill. So she goes to the bank, gives the teller the paper and the hundred dollar bill. She returns to the store and hands me the envelope - this is the good part, lol. I was OMG and what is this and money was flowing out on to my desk and I knew it was way more than $100. It was $1,000. We talked about what to do, (we were both in need of money at the time). After a long talk about it we came to the conclusion that if this had come from a personal party we would return it but since it was a big Bank - you would know which one if I named it - yep we kept it. We put the $100 change in the register and we split the $900. I really hope this never happens to me again because I felt guilty, I guess I should have. What do you think?

I think it's a good thing you felt guilty. You made a bad decision and are hoping you don't find yourself in the situation again. That tells me you would probably do the right thing if facing it again.

I'm surprised the bank wasn't able to track the $900.00 dollar mistake. The bank teller most likely was the one who had to pay a price for her mistake though. If she didn't lose her job I would be surprised to say the least.
Sadly, the teller will have to live with this and the real possibility of finding a new career due to either being fired or the teller choosing not to be labeled a suspected thief.
Big banks never take a loss, they find a way to stick it to the employees or the customers.

SL

ETA: This is not directed to crazydaisy.
Excuses for theft is called a lie.
One can't steal without also being a lier. Either they lie to themselves or they lie to others.
If someone knows who or where found money or property belongs to, they should return it as soon as they can.
This should have nothing to do with karma or any other reason except knowing "I can trust me". What is there to ponder?

edit on 19-1-2011 by sweetliberty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
so you are saying bad things happen, but then good things happen, but how does that have anything to do with one man's loss is another man's gain?

If I were to grow a tomato garden, does that mean my neighbor has to lose tomatoes in order for me to gain some?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
so you are saying bad things happen, but then good things happen, but how does that have anything to do with one man's loss is another man's gain?

If I were to grow a tomato garden, does that mean my neighbor has to lose tomatoes in order for me to gain some?

In a situation where I see someone made a monetary mistake or something similar, I speak up.
One man's loss isn't necessarly another one's gain.
The one who chooses to lie to themselves are the biggest looser in this type of situation.
The one who lost the money or property lost too but not as much as the other man did.

Thanks
SL

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

And yes, I am saying bad things happen but good can come out of it. It's called listening to your gut. If it feels wrong, most likely it is.

If I found money that I could not trace to the owner or the one responsible for it, then I keep it without carrying the weight of guilt and without losing control of myself, my actions, thoughts, ... who I am.

Peace
SL

eta: Surviving on excuses only causes bitterness and unnecessary guilt. We try to complicate things when it's not complicated. Another example of "loss", it's a loss of our time. The time wasted in contemplating on "what should I do?" Wasting time focusing on which excuse is the best one to cover theft instead of focusing on our responsibilities, our children, or how we can make our OWN money, is a loss.
The biggest loser is the lier, the thief. It's sad actually.

edit on 19-1-2011 by sweetliberty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Over my forty some odd years, I have found plenty of change in the streets. Pennies nickles dimes and quarters, should I have taken an ad out in the paper to try and return them?

I have found money, never once did my gut say it was wrong to go spend it on myself. I think the most I have stumbled across was a twenty dollar bill. My gut told me it was my lucky day and I never lost sleep over it.

I lost nothing by picking up that money and spending it on myself.

Not everyone has the same set of morals they live by.

Thus, why there is a lot to ponder on this topic.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Over my forty some odd years, I have found plenty of change in the streets. Pennies nickles dimes and quarters, should I have taken an ad out in the paper to try and return them?

I have found money, never once did my gut say it was wrong to go spend it on myself. I think the most I have stumbled across was a twenty dollar bill. My gut told me it was my lucky day and I never lost sleep over it.

I lost nothing by picking up that money and spending it on myself.

Not everyone has the same set of morals they live by.

Thus, why there is a lot to ponder on this topic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join