It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Man's Loss Is Another Man's Gain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Have you ever been on the brink of despair, broke, and feeling hopeless, when all of a sudden an unforeseen stroke of luck occurs, that is like an answer to your problems?

How about a series of three lucky events in a row, all unexpected, and fortuitous to you?

If this has e ver occured to you, how do you deal with it? Let us say one of the strokes of fortune was say, a store clerk's mistake, that you do not discover until days later, to the tune of maybe twenty dollars. Is it wrong to just accept the stroke of fate, as in one ma's loss is another man's fortune?

Do you think strokes of luck occur in triple?

What if one of the strokes of fate is to find a hundred dollar bill in the bathroom of the mall?

Can you enjoy a stroke of fortune if it is because of someone else's carelessness, beyond your control of course?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I think this new Dragon program that I have is freaking awesome. I don't even have to type in the thing it is basically typing while I'm talking. so freaking cool. it's about 100 bucks but it's totally worth it.As to your question about one man's loss is a man's gain I guess that's just perspective like you said. PS didn't have to type so freaking awesome

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Hell yeah you can,technically its stealing taking something that you know is not yours....
but if the clerk is that stupid not to notice a error you didnt really take it did you you were really given a discount as it was the clerk.
if you loose cash then weve all done that and you dont expect it back, try a coulum found 100 dollars looking for owner then you get real dishonesty, give some to a charity and ease you concious and engoy the rest and may your luck continue

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I say yes. This actually happens a lot my friend was going to his place of worship and when everyone was praying he went to the batathroom (he's forced Togo there) and he finds 200 in a emvolope

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Theonlywoody

did he give it to the church?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by nonetruegod

No no no no no no ha. We spent it on.... Things of our intrest

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Theonlywoody

i would have maybe made a small donation in thanks maybe god would have given him more yay.
couldve at least bought the pope a bunch of pansis im sure he'd appreciate anything with a touch of child in there

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
So what if the situation was reversed? Say you lost your grocery money at the store, or the clerk accidental short changed you and you didn't notice for days? Would you want the clerk or someone at the store to just say ah shucks one mans loss is another mans gain? Or would you rather they be honest and return to you what was yours?

The universe has a way of returning to you what ever you send out, be it good or bad. So as the saying goes do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
The universe has a way of returning to you what ever you send out, be it good or bad. So as the saying goes do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I think there could some truth to this, whether you subconsciously attract things to balance out or what, I don't know. As an example, I was getting 20euro out of an ATM, and for some stupid reason I took my card and forgot the money. I was disgusted with myself when I realised, but 2-3 weeks later I was walking home in the rain and found 20euro on the ground, which made up for it.
I'm open to the idea of karma, although I don't know what form. I think possibly if you believe in it, you'll subconsciously attract yourself to things that balance out good and bad deeds.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
In many cases, there is no reasonable way to discern who did lose the money. I have lost money and property before, due to my own stupidity. My loss was indeed someone else's gain, and I accept it as so. reply to post by hawkiye

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
In many cases, there is no reasonable way to discern who did lose the money. I have lost money and property before, due to my own stupidity. My loss was indeed someone else's gain, and I accept it as so. reply to post by hawkiye

Sometimes that is the case but if you find money at the Mall you can go to lost and found and let them know so if anyone comes looking same with stores etc. The point is you should make every effort to return something to it s rightful owner.. I once found a brand new 200 watt breaker box on the side of the road. It just so happens I needed one for house I was building. Never the less I put ads in the local paper and on craigs list trying to find the owner. Because I know some employee could have been sweating wondering what happened to it or some do it your selfer or even the part delivary guy delivering it to the job.

if you do that and can't find the owner then I don't see a problem in keeping it. I have lost important stuff and had it returned and was very grateful.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MortlitantiFMMJ

I have definitely seen karma at work in my life. And I believe it goes beyond the current life also. Some folks who seem to have everything bad happen to them even though they are good people and wonder why they are paying off karma from previous lives when they weren't so nice. Some folks say look at some crooks today that have it all and karma doesn't effect them, I say it will catch up to them in this life or the next few.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Here is an ironic story to ponder.
In my early twentys, I worked as a security quard at a hotel in popular spring break destination. One night while patroling my area of the hotel(an outdoor bungaloo type area) I came across a wallet. Curious as I was I checked the contents and inside was 734$ and several credit cards. At the time I was dirt poor and my wages basicly paid for little more than housing and food. I was VERY temped to take the cash and turn it in(finders keepers right?). But after making a few more rounds I decided it would be better to bite the bullet and just turn the whole thing in, even though I was poor and couldn't afford to take such lavish vacations I didn't actually work for that money even though I needed it. I rembered the name and face of kid on the license in the wallet just in case I might seem him later that week, basicly to tell him to be more careful, even if he was partying so much that he lost track of it.
Two days later while on shift, we recived a call from a room near the area that I found the wallet. The occupants were hysterical screaming for an ambulace and send help. When myself and several others made it to the room we were greeted by a very disturbing scene of a man laying face down in a pool of vomit. He was already dead when we got there. When the police and EMS got there they turned the man over and it was the same person who had lost their wallet several days before...the one that I found and turned in. Apparently, according to the EMS guys he died of a overdose after doing a huge amount coke, and meth(or at least more than he could handle). If I had took the cash, there is chance this guy would have lived instead of spending all his cash on the drugs that killed him on his last night of spring break. I quit 3 weeks later after the busy season died down(and to give 2 weeks notice).

So the question remains, did fate drive me to give that money back so he would die, or is luck just that...random luck?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBaskettIV

The mans death had nothing to do with you doing the right thing and turning the wallet in and had everything to do with his life choices and addiction.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
My daughter and I had a small business, she was going to the bank to get change for the register. She ask me to write down how many 20's 10's 5's and 1's She was getting change for a hundred dollar bill. So she goes to the bank, gives the teller the paper and the hundred dollar bill. She returns to the store and hands me the envelope - this is the good part, lol. I was OMG and what is this and money was flowing out on to my desk and I knew it was way more than $100. It was $1,000. We talked about what to do, (we were both in need of money at the time). After a long talk about it we came to the conclusion that if this had come from a personal party we would return it but since it was a big Bank - you would know which one if I named it - yep we kept it. We put the $100 change in the register and we split the $900. I really hope this never happens to me again because I felt guilty, I guess I should have. What do you think?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
It is just a coincidence to me but sometimes bad things do occur in three's but mostly it is just the mind putting separate incidents together. It is true however that one man's gain is another man's loss. Example when I gave up drinking, I threw out Irish people cover your eye's, a thirty year old scotch in the trash bag. Probably made a homeless man very happy. Probably not a coincidence that very night I was woken up by someone screaming quite profusely by the dumpster.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Yes and no.

I would have returned the store's money even if it was late. One reason being, the clerk may be in the same SOL boat as me and may have been made to make up the difference in her register out of her own pocket. Legal or not (not sure) I havd been employed by places that do tequire you to pay up. The other reason is that I was aware that is where I wound up with the extra dough.

The $100 bucks in a deserted bathroom I see differently (yes I know). The reason I feel differently about this scenario is the fact of you don't know who dropped it. Turning it in can result in that person pocketing it. Second to that is that I know people call stores every evening to claim money they did not lose. I have worked a lot of retail. The odds the original "loser" would get their money back is slim to none.

I always feel that if I do something like that I will wind up in a horrific car crash and die on the way home.

It is like s phobia with me.

If it's your luck we are speaking off, I hope it continues getting better.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

A star for this because I just had one installed and it is a long way from cheap!

I have lost things too that I was surpised people turned in instead of selling. It gives you an ooey gooey feeling about humanity.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Why feel guilty? Yall did nothing wrong.

In fact, I think in todays world, and maybe its just me and my suspicious nature, but sometimes yoy hear of people being honest and returning something to the store only to get accused of theft or worse, arrested.

Mistakes happen, it is not stealing to find and keep another man's loss. Maybe it was lost for a reason, you never know.

reply to post by crazydaisy

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I went shopping a couple of years back and dropped my wallet in a parking lot. When I got home I immediately canceled my cards, and figured I have to get new I.D. 3 days later I get a call from a man that found my wallet and was looking for the closest store I could have lost it at, and when he couldn't find me he looked through the yellow pages and found my number to let me know I can pick it up.

Since that day I looked at people in a new way. I know this might not happen to everyone, but I think that was a very kind thing to do. IMHO the person that came up with the motto "one mans lost is another mans gain", was the man who gained.

Peace, NRE.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join