It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Saddam's Lawyers want him freed.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Apparently an American lawyer for Saddam Hussein wants the supreme court to use the Constitution of the United States in an attempt to free the former Iraqi president. On grounds that even a dictator like Hussein has the right to a fair trial, this lawyer is asking the US Supreme court to declare Saddam's detention unconstitutional.

www.cnn.com
Doebbler, the lone American on Saddam's legal team, wants the high court to declare the detention of the ousted Iraqi president unconstitutional.

The long-shot legal maneuver comes as Saddam's lawyers await the chance to meet with their client and find out what charges he will face in a war crimes trial by Iraq's new government. He could face the death penalty.

In paperwork at the high court, Doebbler said the detention of the 67-year-old violates multiple international laws and his constitutional Fifth Amendment right not to be deprived of "life, liberty or property without due process." He also said the war crimes tribunal planned in Iraq was neither independent nor impartial.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well the one glaring problem with this lawyer's request that I can see is that SADDAM IS NOT A US CITIZEN. Our Constitution does not protect war criminals and murderous dictators, it protects the citizens of our country. I think this guy is really low, not to mention the fact that in the article he calls US soldiers cowards. Yes, let's free this man and let him escape so that the entire war effort will have been in vain, good call.

[edit on 9-7-2004 by Faisca]

[edit on 9-7-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Saddam Hussein running free wouldn't mean the trivialization of the war effort, unless you are telling me the sole reason for the war was to catch Saddam Hussein. Letting Saddam go free until trial wouldn't necessarily even mean that he wouldn't be tried, though of course no one would be too surprised if he tried running.

[edit on 9-7-2004 by spngsambigpants]

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Well maybe it wouldn't trivialize the war effort in general, but wouldn't it be a bitch? It'd be almost like it was for nothing, because a big part of our winning the war came with capturing Saddam.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
kewl, then lets voice test, dna and pic test.

oh, and just when do ya think obl is gonna rise/fall?

got it here

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
What is your logic behind your opinion that the constitution should only apply to American citizens?

Not attacking, just wondering.

[edit on 9-7-2004 by Cutwolf]

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faisca
Well the one glaring problem with this lawyer's request that I can see is that SADDAM IS NOT A US CITIZEN. Our Constitution does not protect war criminals and murderous dictators, it protects the citizens of our country.

Who says they are referring to the US constitution? Remember that the trial is being held in Iraq, so most likely the Iraqi constitution is being applied here.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Why in hell would Saddam deserve a trial?

You americans have all the evidence of his crimes.

And plus, probably the biggest thing in the war in Iraq,was to bring this bitch to justice.

Id like to know why that blood sucking lawyer wants saddam to have a trial...

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   
If they want to be leagal about this, still under our laws he shouldnt be allowed free, as I would think hes definately a flight risk to take off. Hell he dissapeared when we rolled into Iraq, so what would compell him to not take off if we turn him free? nothing.

that answer to that is simple, publicity. how much bigger a carrer case can you get than the former and probably soon-to-be-again dictator of Iraq?

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven how much bigger a carrer case can you get than the former and probably soon-to-be-again dictator of Iraq?

I think I'd sooner see flying monkeys with fully blown gonorrhea wacking off while flying over my house, than I would see Saddam back in charge of Iraq!!

I don't get it with these Saddam conspiracy theories...Iraq has political custody and more than the majority want to see him dead...America has physical custody and we want to see him dead, and then have his head passed around every city in America for a chance to punch the SOB in the face...

Why do people actually think that some lacky attorny who has made his entire meaningless career out of defending worthless criminals is going to have the politcal sway to get Saddam a "Get out of jail free card"? Even if he was released from custody, which isn't gonna happen, he'll have 24 hour survelliance, will still be required to make his appearences in court, and will be found guilty and sentenced to life in prison or death - end of story - the gov't may have its little secrets, but it's not going to let a war criminal that it finally got its hands on just waltz around the streets of Iraq after the billions of dollars we spent and the thousands of troops we've lost fighting and hunting him down...get real!

His capture may not have been justified, but his fair trial is - and the outcome is not going to be anything short of what I've said above or the American people will revolt, and I think even dimwit Bush knows that...cuz after all, he's no doubt the man with the last call...

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   

i'll give you a more obvious answer...because he'll get paid more.

plain and simple. you pay a certain kind of person enough money and he'll argue in court you're the queen of spain. i dont know why some people's actions are motivated by peices of paper with numbers and faces on them. but thats the motivation. the more he works the more he charges and he has to appear to be working for his client or he'll lose a lot of money and get dropped.

that and a lack of conscience is what allows him to do this. i understand everyone should be defended but i couldnt do it. i find it hard to excuse what i do, i doubt i could find excuses for someone else's behavior.

yeah i cant wait for this trial to get under way. saddam has already tried justifying invading kuqait by claiming they were turning iraqi women into prostitutes. now as much as some think bush's claim over WMD was flimsy you have to admit that is an even worse excuse to declare wr on another country.

top topics

join