It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satellites or Alien Craft?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Okay so every night about 8 p.m. I go outside and look at the stairs for an hour or two at a time. Last night in particular I saw 6 of these lights over the hour. I always think satellites in the back of my mind, but then again I have my doubts. They are very faint most of the time almost as if a star however they are moving. Incredibly difficult to see sometimes and keep up with, but I manage with a very careful eye. I am 100% the 6th one I saw last night was not a satellite beacause they do not blink. It was more of a fade in fade out type deal but it was consistent. I always thought satellites were brightly lit up, but only when lit up by the sun or moon correct? I would like to record these objects but they are way too high in the sky to capture with my equipment. Whatever altitude satellites orbit in I would wager that is where these are if not even higher. Also I am in a mountain town so it the altitude is a lot higher than normal such as back home in the states.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Who knows? But they do sound like satellites.. Maybe they are shimmering where the light hits from a different angle whilst moving..

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by d00d557

I watch these satellites almost every night of the summer with my boys. There have been a few that did not fit the pattern, character of the satellites, so I wouldn't doubt that from time to time you have or will see something else.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

The thing that bothers me is the others keep a steady light while this one was STEADILY fading in and out. No light refractions here. Also some move slow, some move very fast. I have seen the ISS cross into the moons shadow before an that looked slightly bigger as well as incredibly bright compared to these. How quickly would you reckon a satellite would cross over the sky? I watched three more this morning. One seemed to be booking it. The moon was not out. Still possible that it was refracting light?
edit on 11-1-2011 by d00d557 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by d00d557

Best thing for you to do is check out what satelites and/or planets/stars where over your location at the date/time you saw it.

Planets/Stars: Stellarium
Satelites: Human Space Flight and Heavens Above

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
the blinking satellite of fading in and fading out could be caused by rotation and every time it fades out is do to a less reflective side im guessing. i notice them all the time and see alot of them that i believe are ufo due to there unusual brightness and different flight path.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Stellarium als has a built in satellite tracker.
It can be very useful.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by d00d557

I'm an avid satellite watcher and some satellites do blink. Some appear to flash, as they turn and catch the reflection of the sun. Google "iridium flares." Some start out faint, then grow brighter, and then back to faint again. Other times, you'll just see what appears to be a "camera flash" in the sky... all satellites... or all characteristic of satellites anyway.

Without seeing exactly what you're seeing, I can't say with 100% certainty that you are seeing satellites, but I'm almost positive.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by d00d557

Just as you do, I also watch the stars for atleast an hour on a clear night. Winter here is always overcast, so not so much lately.
In the summer I can tell you I have seen exactly what you have seen. I have looked up the satellite flyovers and none matched the area I was in and how many I saw. To me, common sense rules out satellites when you see 6 of them in a period of an hour. You didn't say, but I bet they all were not going in the same direction but rather seemed to come from random spots.
I have lost count on how many nights I saw these "moving stars" as I call them. I have seen more than 5 within a period of 2 minutes. I think something is up and they are NOT satellites. BUT, I wouldn't go as far as to call them "Alien Craft." I also wouldn't rule that out though.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by d00d557

!!I I live in Vancouver, Canada. and everynight between 11pm to 1am. I see a few lights in the sky that blink different colours inconsistently. And it looked like it was moving but in a certain small space.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by dplum517

For this I am trying to keep myself from getting overexcited seeing as how humans have so many of those buggers in orbit these days. I really need some 3rd generation nightscope or something. No way to capture that with my camera I have currently. They do all come from random directions. I will watch again tonight and try as best I can to discern any changes in course. Also to check the heavens above. They are so hard to keep track of though with the naked eye. Anyone know how to use heavensabove properly? I entered in my coordinates however it only gives me certain viewing options for the satellites. Is it under amateur radio satellites? It only lists three others besides the ISS.
edit on 11-1-2011 by d00d557 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
If you have an iPhone or Droid, there is an app available called "satellite flybys" by spaceweather.com. Uses your GPS setting to show scheduled flybys for your area...may help you see what you're looking at. And it's free.

From my experience, some rocket bodies do tend to phase in and out as they tumble. Sats tend to remain lit as they are stable. I doubt if you'll ever see a sat blink as in blinking lights attached to it. You're only seeing the reflected sunlight off the surface of the craft/panels which may change due to aforementioned flares.
edit on 11-1-2011 by Cole DeSteele because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
They are space "tugs".

en.wikipedia.org...

Came about after Von Braun at Nasa went nutz over this demonstration:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQCrPNEsQaY

This is how those "satellites" you see in space can do a 90* turn at high speed. They tow things around...harvest things for us from the asteroid belt.

I PRAY they are using them to send chunks of ice from space from those comets into our planet..clean water is what we need hitting our planet right now.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by d00d557
Okay so every night about 8 p.m. I go outside and look at the stairs for an hour or two at a time. Last night in particular I saw 6 of these lights over the hour. I always think satellites in the back of my mind, but then again I have my doubts. They are very faint most of the time almost as if a star however they are moving. Incredibly difficult to see sometimes and keep up with, but I manage with a very careful eye. I am 100% the 6th one I saw last night was not a satellite beacause they do not blink. It was more of a fade in fade out type deal but it was consistent. I always thought satellites were brightly lit up, but only when lit up by the sun or moon correct? I would like to record these objects but they are way too high in the sky to capture with my equipment. Whatever altitude satellites orbit in I would wager that is where these are if not even higher. Also I am in a mountain town so it the altitude is a lot higher than normal such as back home in the states.

If you see something in the sky and all it does is moving in a straight line you can bet your life it's a satellite.
Satellites do seem to start from random points ( visit the heavenabove website, it shows satellites trajectory in the sky ). Also sometimes they do blink or pulse. That's because there aren't just satellites out there, but also pieces of rockets ( the second stage usually ) these are white tubes and most of them costantly rotate but not around their main axis, reflecting light in different directions ( so they look pulsating from a fixed point of view ) and they also have non equatorial orbits ( usually polar orbits ). As an example tonight 12 objects will be clearly visible in the sky from my town, of those 8 will be rocket bodies.
If you live in a lucky place without much light pollution you could see dozen of them in an hour. A year ago, in the alps, i was able to see 3 of them at the same time, and almost 15 of them in an hour.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by d00d557

possibly a stairway to heaven?

top topics

join