It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LAPD Financial Disclosure Laws Lead Dozens To Quit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

LAPD Financial Disclosure Laws Lead Dozens To Quit

www.huffingtonpost.com

Dozens of anti-gang police officers across the city are quitting their assignments over a requirement to reveal personal financial information under strict anti-corruption rules, The Associated Press has learned.

Gang units in some of the city's most violent neighborhoods are being left with multiple vacancies, with officers choosing instead to work regular patrol shifts, Assistant Chief Earl Paysinger said Monday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Well well well. Quitting because a bunch of you cops were taking drug money uh?

Ain't that nice. Of course under regular patrols, their financial records are not scrutinized...

Eh cops, you always say to us : ``what do you have to hide?``... ain't payback a bitch when it comes back to bite ya?

Time to pass something like that for congress.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 11-1-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-1-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Bad Pig Bad Pig, whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they expose you...Bad Pig Bad Pig, whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they expose you...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

They will find a way around it..
I'd rather see our politicians cop the same scrutiny, while in office and at least for 10 years after..
Harsh, but it seems they make a lot of money once they leave politics for some reason.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
This should be mandatory for all government officials and law enforcement personnel, just like the average Joe if you aren't doing anything wrong then there should be no problem in showing where their money is coming from.

When an average person is spending WELL above what they are earning on their tax papers then that is a problem and it is looked in to, same should go for law enforcement and government.

Cops driving around in $100k don't equal out THEY DON'T MAKE THAT MUCH MONEY!!!

Get rid of the lobbyists that corrupt the government officials, crack down on law enforcement corruption, when you cannot trust the people who hold your life in their hands to be honest then what is the point in having them around.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
So all of you would disclose all your financial records publicly? I wouldn't and I don't do things wrong.

pretty sad.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
So all of you would disclose all your financial records publicly? I wouldn't and I don't do things wrong.

pretty sad.

Who said anything about publicly??
We need a reputable agency that could monitor this stuff..

Wonder what's the chances of finding a reputable agency?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR

pretty sad.

You already do what do you mean? if you deposit more then $10k at any time in a bank you better have a good reason where it came from and be paying taxes on it... if you are spending a few hundred grand a year through your credit but only pay taxes on $50k a year you better be able to explain it.....

If the government things you are spending more then you are making on paper you better have a good answer....

Same thing here with the Law enforcement, obviously these guys can't explain why they are able to afford things they should not be able to and someone is finally doing something about it... Now if they had nothing to worry about they would all still be working their normal jobs instead of quitting and changing over to the normal police details where they can't take bribes, and make money on the side stealing and reselling drugs and guns from criminals.

Also no one said that it was publicly like they are going to post it on a forum for anyone to read they have to sign a form that is an internal thing that only the Agency they work for has access to and the only reason they are doing it is the MANY MANY years of corruption that has occurred so they are doing something to keep it from happening... Anything can be worked around but does that mean we shouldn't make it harder for them to do illegal activities they are after all suppose to be the ones that keep people from doing illegal activities and catch criminals. Do we want criminals watching after the criminals that would be like letting felons work at prisons and be police what would be the point.
edit on 11-1-2011 by belowabovetopsecret because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Pfft.

I just wonder how much crime will sky-rocket in those neighborhoods...

What better way to complicate the situation?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by loveguy
Pfft.

I just wonder how much crime will sky-rocket in those neighborhoods...

What better way to complicate the situation?

So your answer is we should let the cops break the law to uphold the law??
Hmmm, why does that sound off to me??

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I must admit I'm confused. If they are corrupt and the reporting of personal finances would reveal anything at all then this is something an audit from the IRS would clear up and eventually will catch regardless. Nobody is immune from the IRS, not even law enforcement.

I suspect the good ones are leaving out of offence while the bad ones are now having an easier time because it only takes a little sleight of hand to clear them when they are really putting away cash in a non traceable offshore account or blowing it all on fantastic cash only parties. While all the most honest guys aren't around to bug them anymore...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Personally, I don't find anything wrong with this financial disclosure requirement. Lots of companies have similar rules. A previous neighbor of mine worked for a Wall Street bank, and he had to take a 2-week vacation each year while his departments finances were audited. Besides, the financial audit trail each of us leaves is readily available anyway. The Feds or a decent forensic accountant would probably be able to tell your true income to within a few thousand dollars by looking through your house, gauging your standard of living and reviewing transactions obtainable with a warrant. Like a previous poster said though, some honest cops will transfer for what they feel are moral or privacy reasons and I'm sure a few bad ones will continue being bad, just being more careful though.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Like the article states, these same cops will be patrolling the SAME neighbourhoods!
Any fool can see that they will still have ample opportunity to maintain their corrupt contacts......
They who opt out should come before an irs audit immediately and those who stay should get the same treatment.
Too many crooked cops in America now! Lte the IRS sort them out!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I agree, and we are talking about the LAPD here folks, is there a more corrupt police force in america?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

Possibly Jinglelord, but I'm thinking its more like they don't think what they get paid "legally" actually justifies the job the have to do as anit-gang units. So they're returning to the job that they feel is worthy of they're "regular" pay.

Who really knows, but one thing we do know....LAPD has some issues no doubt. Actually LA for that matter.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyR

I think there is a very good chance that they just moved back to the job that is equivalent to the pay. Or just don't want any extra hassle from already doing what is in reality a very difficult and dangerous job.

I was just trying to say in a round-a-bout way that just because many are jumping ship doesn't indicate they are doing so because they are corrupt. I think if I were in a similar situation and doing nothing wrong I would leave if I had an option on principal.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Crooked cops will always find a way to hide their ill-gotton gain. That goes for anyone else whether they are cops or not.

Just remember that what goes around comes around. You will be next.

This is another psych-ops. The general atmosphere toward law authority is negative at this time. So the game plan will be to use that negativity to target this particular group of people, knowing the masses will be in favor of them receiving some sort of "punishment" and "retribution" in the way of demeaning demands on their personal affairs. People, if you are in agreement with this then you are being played!

Once something like this can be made official...what's to stop the expansion to the common folk?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

Well, in America, we have this thing caled the IRS. They don't really care if you feel it's private info. They will get it from you, in full detail, or you will be brought up on charges.

I find nothing wrong with scrutinizing a government officials financial records, be they police, army, politician, even the damn janitors in the court houses. They deserve it simply for being actively involved in the government. Very few people can be trusted with the power to tell people what to do. Most cops can't, that's for sure.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
So...this sounds like these officers were committing a crime. And they were allowed to resign with impunity? Well, they are ordinary citizens now. Let's hope they experience police scrutiny, Of course, they could always say they were framed......

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Being a police officer is a position of public trust – preparation and submission of a financial statement is required during the process to gain access to classified information I see no reason police or any other public official should feel they are above such disclosure.

Poor credit, late payments and other issues are indicators of irresponsible behavior along with others – I am sure they run a credit check when they are hired. Many civilian companies even do that now; though admittedly I would not work for one. Positions of public trust are different.

If you are an independently wealthy cop who has an inheritance or something which explains your undue affluence what’s to hide?

Same with you being a smart investor or anything – just prove you make your living legitimately and you are fine.

Corrupt, thug police make the job of legitimate law enforcement that much harder – any way to further screen and evaluate them the better.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join