It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Decreposity ... [WRAP]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
" Growing old is compulsory ,
Growing up is optional " ?

Yes .... and no .
When I was young , I could leap out of bed at 3am
with enthusiasm for the day ahead .
Now i have to struggle to the bathroom , with that bladder thing.
I used to work only when I needed to ..
Now I have to work , and can only just keep up .
When I was young , I could eat and drink anything , or nothing .
Now , I have to watch my weight , go easy on fried food , and
have to eat three meals a day !
When I was young , nothing was too much trouble ,
... now everything's a pain in the ass. !.
Being old is annoying .
I became a stereotype ,one I didn't like ,
and it really sneaked up on me .
No longer can I party all night , and surf or ski all day .
I had to get a longboard , and go to bed at 8:30 !
And my week long ski trips are now down to three ,
painful days .
No more windsurfing , I just watch from the beach
No more outrunning the dog , a brisk walk is strenuous !

A hangover lasts a week , and only half an hour for sleeping
gives me palpitations .

One look in the mirror has me reaching for the moisturiser .
.... and the tweezers !
And GREY hair !
It's just not fair .
I'm not sure when it really all changed , it was gradual I guess .
First the prescription glasses , then all the prescriptions .
The bathroom cabinet is now full of essentials , drops,cremes,pills.
My sneakers now last 5 years , and jeans are getting uncomfortable .
Modern music , ( anything beyond the eighties ) is intolerable !
I guess I still have my own teeth , and hair .
But I never got over losing my youth , I guess I took it for granted .
When I was five , ten was old. At twenty , thirty was ancient.
Now I'm fifty , and decreposity is really here .
No wonder old farts get grumpy !

edit on 10-1-2011 by radarloveguy because: um... can't remember how to spell !

edit on 10-1-2011 by radarloveguy because: now i remember!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by radarloveguy

Gee thanks...this is what I got to look forward to? On the edge of forty, here, please let me die young and beautiful. God, PLEASE!!!!!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I felt that, I just crossed the midpoint of my 30s and I feel the slowdown... and I refuse to admit it! I will keep going and get stronger and faster, regardless!

i also set my personal goal to live 110 years, just to see if I can do it.
edit on 10/1/11 by MagoSA because: stupid second line

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

as someone age 35, i am sure what i say will carry little weight.. I know you still have things unfinished, dreams to realize, disappointments to cope with. At least i have, my mortality has entered my thoughts this year more than any. we are all on the same journey, abeit different paths.

can we "trade" wisdom? mine came from being mostly raised by my grandmother who gave and gave and gave, never asking for A thing in return. she was born in 1918 and saw it all.. she told me, someday i too would be old. my life to flash before me as a photo album. and to remember those who shared life and love regardless of their stature..

my concerns are to not grow old full of regrets, never allow things to haunt me wishing I would have "done something different".. it is never to late to follow your heart. never too late to make a difference.. making a positive difference in someones life will give you rewards FAR greater than chasing money stepping on or over anyone who gets in your way.

my wish is that you spend the next 50 years making a positive difference in someone's life. as already i see she was right in this aspect.. you have things you can still do, people who will appreciate what you do for them long after you are gone..

young people (20 and younger) may look scary, rude, crude, etc.. but wow, when you take time to understand their fears, reflect upon your youth, you may find a wonderful thing happen.. YOUNG PEOPLE THINKING YOU ARE "COOL".. they will appreciate the elder who DOES take time to share with them..

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

You got me by 8 years.

Yeah. Hair in places that really isn't necessary. Ear lobes? Really? Nostrils? WTF?

My knee I messed up when I was 17 is playing tricks on me...My knee is a constant reminder of what hot young girls do to a testosterone engorged male lifting weights.

Girls + weight room = bad juju.

Off campus lunch. 10 minute trip to the house. 1hr lunch break with your girl friend. = 40 minutes

I got back to school from "lunch". Phys Ed/ Weight Lifting. A sophmore guy (my gf's little brother) asked me what I did for lunch....I told him "Your sister"

My eagle eyes ain't quite to snuff either. I realized it a couple of years ago at the rifle range. I couldn't see the 8X at 100 yds anymore with iron sites.

Got ALL my hair. Thankfully, blonde doesn't show gray
gotta love the German blood!

chili gives you a weeks worth of gas.

You look at 60+ people and say "Well, they look pretty good for that age. Hope I make it also
"

You reconsider comments you made about people having sex at 50+. Its not so gross anymore.

You have a weird issue of thinking that 20 years ago was the 60's and are amazed to find out that people you listened to in the eighties are in their 60's.

Pat benetar is pushing 58 FYI.

You remember everything tasted better then. Coca Cola BEFORE it had been molested.

when you were a kid and EVERYONE watched the same shows on TV. "Hey, wanna play "Starsky and Hutch" or "Rat Patrol"? You picked up a rock and it was the latest pistol in the latest show you watched...in your mind anyway.

Yeah. Getting old sucks.
edit on 10/1/11 by felonius because: add

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

LOL awesome! S&F! And now I am off, to the bathroom, to pluck gray hairs, shave off the almost totally silver razor stubble which coats my face, and then to squint really hard at the mirror until I see a 26 year old staring back at me again!

God I miss that guy sometimes. He took a LOT less aspirin.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Should this be renamed the

Old Fart Forum?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by felonius

Forty-four here and I suggest we name it the "Old enough to know better but young enough not to really care yet" forum!

~Heff

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

LOL awesome! S&F! And now I am off, to the bathroom, to pluck gray hairs, shave off the almost totally silver razor stubble which coats my face, and then to squint really hard at the mirror until I see a 26 year old staring back at me again!

God I miss that guy sometimes. He took a LOT less aspirin.

~Heff

I disagree, men look better with age.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

Regardless of whatever your gender may be, I'll star that just simply for the ego boost LOL!

My wife ,who has stood beside me for 20+ years, says she gets mad (in a funny way) because I look so much younger than she does. I have her beat by 5 years!

In my eyes, she looks just as good as when we met as young teens.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I loved this story what a good job i showed it to my parents they both smiled and said (its true) star and flag to you!!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
You never see it coming - that age when you're still too young to die, but too old to die young...

I'm 61, BTW.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Now that's what I call hitting the nail squarely on the head. In seven short weeks I'll be 58, it doesn't seem like it's been 40 years since I graduated from high school. Now my youngest is nearly 22 - yikes!

top topics

join