It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This forum has become a hub of disinformation.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SG-17
There are two examples of well thought out and well written threads, things you don't really see anymore.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

You can pick almost any thread on the front page of this forum (or most in this section) as an example of what my OP describes.

Thanks, SG-17, for the link to the excellent Alien gods thread. Just added it. Already subscribe to the Rome thread.

SeaWind

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by spearhead
Members with minimal contribution and post 2008 membership should be immedately dismissed.... although ATS has almost become a corporation and hits is what the sponsors want to see...
edit on 9/1/11 by spearhead because: (no reason given)

How do YOU define "minimal contribution?"

SeaWind

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
This goes in cycles. Every year a poster posts a thread claiming the same things as here. Either learn how to sift out all the diamonds in the ruff or go to a MSM type of news outlet. ATS is the sifting point for all the news out on the net...it's why we hear about stuff sooner than anywhere else.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I love this site. I believe that this is the place or another like it will reveal the next great truth. I am, however saddened that people grab to a half answer and swear by it. We are a great people and i believe eventually we will begin to live to are potential.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beyond Creation
I've said this before, and no offence OP, but 'disinformation' is a silly, gratuitous word. Information is information whether its valid or not. Disinformation suggests the opposite of information which I calculate to be no information.

'Misinformation' works fine.

I have to disagree with you, Beyond Creation. Misinformation does NOT have the same meaning as Disinformation. Disinformation connotes INTENTIONAL deception.

Merriam-Webster: "false info DELIBERATELY and often covertly spread (as by the planting of rumors) in order to influence public opinion or to obscure the truth."

Disinformation is sometimes called "black propaganda" -- as it is designed to MANIPULATE mass opinion.

Misinformation is simply bad info and may be used innocently or without malicious intent by someone who is ignorant of the true info or is "misinformed."

It wouldn't surprise me at all if genuine disinfo agents are on ATS. Perfect place for them.

SeaWind

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBaskettIV

The diamonds on this site used to be the size of a man's head and were easy to spot. Now you are lucky to find one as big as your eye. If that analogy makes any sense to anyone else.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
At least im not the only one thinking that way.
I hope ats gets back to its tracks

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I think he is right. I spent last few days checking out old threads, and the content, and how the content these days is lacking, and very distorted with nonsense bickering.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

There are two examples of well thought out and well written threads, things you don't really see anymore.

You can pick almost any thread on the front page of this forum (or most in this section) as an example of what my OP describes.

The first one is the worst distortion or misinterpretation of historical facts I ever seen, not to mention greatly uninformed. Is the real problem that people still relly on accurate facts and the general consensus has not yet succumbed in a NWO brainwash that most conspiracy material nowadays is trying to push down our collective throats? I believe the "shootings" threads inspired you to make this one. It's not uncommon to see threads in ATS that try to condition the unsuspected readers thought process, especially after some eye catching news generate a lot of threads.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacebot

The first one is the worst distortion or misinterpretation of historical facts I ever seen, not to mention greatly uninformed. Is the real problem that people still relly on accurate facts and the general consensus has not yet succumbed in a NWO brainwash that most conspiracy material nowadays is trying to push down our collective throats? I believe the "shootings" threads inspired you to make this one. It's not uncommon to see threads in ATS that try to condition the unsuspected readers thought process, especially after some eye catching news generate a lot of threads.

Spacebot, I can't speak for SG-17 as to why he chose that thread, but I found the responses worth reading.

Even though the info used in the OP by ProtoplasmicTraveler in the "All Roads Lead to Rome" thread is highly questionable -- it sparked very interesting posts. It's really imaginative -- so even if you don't agree with most of the OP (or even all of it) -- the responses were worth reading. Some of the responders were very scholarly and did their research to refute the weird "history" in the OP.

SeaWind
edit on 9-1-2011 by SeaWind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeaWind

Originally posted by spacebot

Spacebot, I can't speak for SG-17 as to why he chose that thread, but I found the responses worth reading.

Even though the info used in the OP by ProtoplasmicTraveler in the "All Roads Lead to Rome" thread is highly questionable -- it sparked very interesting posts. It's really imaginative -- so even if you don't agree with most of the OP (or even all of it) -- the responses were worth reading. Some of the responders were very scholarly and did their research to refute the weird "history" in the OP.

SeaWind
edit on 9-1-2011 by SeaWind because: (no reason given)

The main point is the way he backed up his thread with 'facts' that he did research on himself and organized them into a well-written thread. Rather than the 3 lined-pasted link threads that are common now.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SG-17

I still think the remedy for that is to create threads that lead by example.

I attempt to do that. Plenty of others do too.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by spearhead
Members with minimal contribution and post 2008 membership should be immedately dismissed.... although ATS has almost become a corporation and hits is what the sponsors want to see...
edit on 9/1/11 by spearhead because: (no reason given)

It seems counter-active to dismiss someone just because they joined this site after you. If someone makes a valid point or argument on a subject then it should be listened to. Plain and simple.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
ATS isnt the problem.
Its the people believing that the poster is more important than the post.

'' and we've all been guilty of that ''

Id' still come to ATS for breaking news, interesting topics, cool people and deep discussion before I went anywhere else.

.. but I'd like to say, its no where near as bad as it was during the 2010 elections for Obama and Mccain.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
This, and other formerly "cutting edge" alternative news sources have been corrupted by the black hoodie wearing, pimple-faced game players who simply don't have the intellectual capital to engage in serious discourse.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
This site like our world - some places are good, some are bad. What you can do? Just choose place you like.

Or here should be very strict moderation. But for such big amount of messages I think it is almost impossible.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeaWind

Originally posted by Beyond Creation
I've said this before, and no offence OP, but 'disinformation' is a silly, gratuitous word. Information is information whether its valid or not. Disinformation suggests the opposite of information which I calculate to be no information.

'Misinformation' works fine.

I have to disagree with you, Beyond Creation. Misinformation does NOT have the same meaning as Disinformation. Disinformation connotes INTENTIONAL deception.

Merriam-Webster: "false info DELIBERATELY and often covertly spread (as by the planting of rumors) in order to influence public opinion or to obscure the truth."

Disinformation is sometimes called "black propaganda" -- as it is designed to MANIPULATE mass opinion.

Misinformation is simply bad info and may be used innocently or without malicious intent by someone who is ignorant of the true info or is "misinformed."

It wouldn't surprise me at all if genuine disinfo agents are on ATS. Perfect place for them.

SeaWind

I understand. Thanks. I guess it's still a word whether I agree with it or not.

I'm going to ignore the issue.*

* Dismisinformation

Peace
edit on 10-1-2011 by Beyond Creation because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join