It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Federal Judge John Roll the real target?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
While reading the tragic events of today relating to shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, and others, in Tuscan, AZ, I couldn't help but wonder if the real target was the federal judge, John Roll.

John Roll

In 2009, Judge Roll faced death threats after presiding over a $32 million civil-rights lawsuit. The lawsuit was filed by illegal immigrants against an Arizona rancher. After Judge Roll ruled that the case would be certified, threats came from talk-radio shows which fueled controversy and spurred audiences into making threats against the judge[3].

After one radio talk show, Judge Roll's name logged more than 200 phone calls as some callers threatened the judge and his family[3]. This resulted in the judge and his wife being placed under a full-time protective detail for one month. A US Attorney's investigation identified four men as the makers of the threats, but no charges were filed[3].

In a July 9, 2009 interview with the Arizona Republic, Judge Roll described the time under high security as "unnerving and invasive. . . . By its nature it has to be," Roll said. Roll also said, "It (the security) was handled very professionally by the Marshals Service."[3]

Makes you wonder if Gliffords' shooting was a crime of coincidence. I'd say this thought is worth additional consideration.
edit on 8-1-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Terrible set of events. However interesting thought. Star, Flag.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I wondered this myself, but I don't know.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I intend to dig to see what cases were pending on the bench.

Any help would be appreciated.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

This was an interesting comment

Roll, a Pennsylvania native, has served as the chief U.S. District Judge in Arizona since 2006. He is a former Arizona state appeals court judge and a former assistant U.S. attorney in Arizona, focusing on prosecuting drug cases, according to his judicial biography on Judgepedia.

Link

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The news said he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time , but who knows.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Here is someone else speculating on something similar:

Napolitano 'Committed Criminal Conspiracy' With Judge John Roll Who Was Slain Today

Janet Napolitano was alleged as "aiding and abetting" John Roll in a criminal conspiracy to "make an example" out of those who try to skirt federal regulations. An IRS audit case in the nineties makes a passionate plea against federal dictatorship and makes shocking allegations of constitutional infringements.

It wasn't the FBI, it was Napolitano who announced that Federal Judge John Roll was among those assassinated in today's shooting. She just received an explosive package herself. In a very cursory statement she condemned the shooting as "senseless violence."

It could make sense that Roll was the target of today's shooting, because he received death threats. When he ruled that federal illegal immigrant lawsuits against ranch owners could proceed, "talk-radio shows cranked up the controversy and spurred audiences into making threats." Is this the conservative violence that Napolitano warned us all about? But that was 11 months ago, so why the wait? Just 3 days ago he complained that Arizona's recently adopted streamlined method of dealing with illegal immigration is overburdening the judicial system, causing a "judicial emergency.' He sought "permission to delay bringing felons to trial" His crusade against state involvement in illegal immigration continued right until his murder. So maybe some extremist conservative saw this, decided it's the final straw and wanted him gone? Not so fast! Consider that Napolitano was state governor until recently, when she left to become Obama's Big Sister. She famously slammed Arizona's new immigration law and falsely claimed Arizona's border "is more secure than it has ever been." Many conservatives complained that she turned on state and state's rights and now is a proponent of federal rights. But a court case reveals she teamed up with John Roll before to diminish states rights.

More...

See also:

Slain federal judge John Roll was at the center of Arizona's immigration debate
edit on 8-1-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I think World net daily is a right wing rag that often distorts and lies.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Saw on the news here in Arizona where they had eyewitness information that said the shooter walked right up to Gifford and shot her in the head. You would think if this Roll guy was the primary target, he would have walked up to him and shot him first. But, who knows, the guy was mentally unstable so anything is possible.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal
reply to post by loam

I think World net daily is a right wing rag that often distorts and lies.

One of the few facts we have is that he's mental, he indicated the Communist Manifesto, Mein Kampf, and Brave New World were among his favorites, and that he was liberal leaning in 2007. We know he was atheist and had a particular dislike for Christians. I'm not saying he's liberal - I think he's just mentally challenged - but to argue he's a right winger or that he was probably following Sarah Palin when there is no evidence at all for that is misguided.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

By the way, he apparently asked for Giffords by name and then pushed his way up to see her. I don't think the judge was the target unless there was a second shooter that used the chaos to take advantage.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

Except WND isn't the only source reporting Caitie Parker's tweets:

A woman named Caitie Parker has been tweeting that she went to school with Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' alleged shooter Jared Loughner and that he had met Giffords previously.

Also," he was a pot head & into rock like Hendrix,The Doors, Anti-Flag. I haven't seen him in person since '07 in a sign language class" and "As I knew him he was left wing, quite liberal. & oddly obsessed with the 2012 prophecy."

Source.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Judge wasn't the target.

This is what I heard on the news.

He got up. like he did every Saturday morning and attended Mass.

Then, as Giffords was a good friend of his, he went by the shopping center to see her.

Unfortunately, this move got him killed. He just should have stayed in bed.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
FWIW, According to Sheriff:

The congresswoman was the clear focus of the gunman's assault, Dupnik said.

link

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Nice find, but that's hardly compelling. It's a mere assertion- and not even an actual quote. I'd like to know where Judge Roll was standing. Moreover, I think it even more suspicious a second 50 yr old accomplice is at large.

This story is obviously not the lone crazy gunman first portrayed in the reports.

edit on 9-1-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

With respect Loam, but you posted a link to a WND with tweets. Just sayin.

It was just mentioned on CNN the shooter asked for her specifically by name before shooting her at point blank range. (No credible print / web source yet.)

edit on 9-1-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   

I'm confused by what you are saying. WND was not the only source: Example.

Are you saying the tweets aren't real?

Moreover, the WND article is not the original source, as evidenced by the time stamp of my example source:

www.businessinsider.com

WND

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

OK, multiple sources to same tweets. I'm not registered on Twitter so I honestly don't know, but can't ANYONE tweet and say ANYTHING? (Do tweeters get banned for posting false info?) Just seems unreliable as source.

I suppose your theory is plausible, who knows what may develop. No need to defend your stance with me. I have Hero worship for you.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Likewise, even if I don't always agree with you.

The twitter thing is just one girl's dated opinion. I wasn't really ever asserting she had to be believed. But it's interesting to consider. Besides, this thread isn't really about her or her opinion.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join