It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gates Tries To Cut Military Health Care

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Gates Tries To Cut Military Health Care

www.huffingtonpost.com

WASHINGTON — Defense Secretary Robert Gates is betting that Americans' frustration with a ballooning deficit will finally allow him to trim one of the government's most politically protected entitlement programs: the military's $50 billion-a-year health care system.

The defense chief has tried to push similar proposals through Congress before and failed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
While I will be the FIRST person to advocate cutting back on military spending and the endless foreign invasions and conflicts, this to me is more 'pissing on the little guy', from the folks at the top of the food chain, instead of focusing at the CRUX of the problem.

From some of the stories I have seen in recent times, the soldiers ALREADY aren't getting the greatest of treatment, not only on the physical level, but also the psychological level as well. Thier suicides have been at record levels in recent times.

If we are going to talk about cutting the M.I.C.'s bloated expenditures, why don't we START with the most obvious detrimental grotesqueries---The failing conflicts and invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan. Stop wasting tens of billions of dollars each month in these endless debacles, bring our men home (like we keep getting emptily promised) and THERE-PRESTO! The budget is shaved down gigantically.

But nope, gotta keep the war industry mega-corps cha-chinging in the cash flow, so we'll just shaft the soldiers and their families instead.

Same old, same old. I am so sick of the absolute RACKET that is 'war'.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8-1-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Absolutely agree - the military budget - for US and the UK too - is over-inflated, but if you're going to insist on putting men in stupid situations, the one thing you don't cut, the very last thing you should even THINK about decreasing the budget for, is health care.

Similar to when we were having hospital closures in the UK, but they were saying how they had just spent a fortune on new nuclear subs "for the defence of the realm."

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
They don't care about those they send in harms way in order to perpetuate the money making potential of the military industrial complex.

The way troops are treated is an absolute disgrace.

I want no truck with economic imperialism, backed up by huge defense spending - it's a completely wrong set of priorities imo, especially when troops are just used and then discarded, like a spent bullet.

Same as always, it comes down to money, and those at the top of the pile making money (any way they can) out of the populace.

It's time the citizens of the US stood up, stopped listening to the lies and started looking after each other, instead of buying into fake wars intended only to enrich the very few - but while there are so many people who believe the bullplop propaganda, it's unlikely to happen.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I'm against this completely. People who enlist essentially commit themselves to unquestioned service with the possibility of loss of life and limb in exchange for training, the possibility of extended education and learning of specific skills and trades, and other benefits among which health care is promised.
So, wouldn't this be in violation of the contract agreed upon between the government and those enlisted in service? If they're going to back out of the contract, the people of the armed forces should likewise be permitted to decide for themselves whether to remain in military service.

Now, to alter this for new recruits may be something I could favor but would need to know the terms and what reciprocity is offered.

edit on 1/8/2011 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Absolutely disgusting. How about cutting congresses health care instead? How about rolling back congresses pay to the federal minimum wage? How about cutting all foreign aid? How about pulling our troops back home? How about closing all these unnecessary bases around the world? How about getting illegals off of welfare and food stamps? There are many ways to cut the budget. This is not one of them.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Read about Bill Gates Hell Foundation here:

______beforeitsnews/story/340/140/The_Bill_Gates_of_Hell_Foundation.html

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
It will never happen.

Whoever votes for this would be commiting career suicide. Gates will be out the door soon for even attempting a serious run at getting this cut.

I have an idea for cutting spending. Stop changing our uniforms every 5 years or so. That would save a lot of money right there.

We have payed private contractors to come up with a new pattern once again. We have approved 4 separete patterns only to ditch it a few months later. We are now on our 5th approved pattern and these companies are making money hand over fist.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Gates is a pinhead. But not to be outdone is the idiot who signs his/her life away with the possibility of having their health care in question. The military seems to draw out of the lower class in society, generally speaking, given the education, age and historical cases as noted here on ATS. For many its a free ride, get that great education and skill set but you might have to put your balls on the line when duty calls. Still one would expect if not demand that service committed to his/her country results in the best care and attention available should the unthinkable happen. How many horror stories have been printed about the eroding Veterans Affairs?

The reality is that US defense spending WILL get trimmed and the dolts at the pentagon will just have to suck it up and like it. America is falling apart with crushing debt levels. Prudence will demand the cuts regardless of whether the US military agrees or not.

brill

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
If my VA benefits get cut one bit, there will be hell to pay. Let these bastards dare breach a contract signed in blood, sweat and tears and they'll get that in return.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
It looks like there has been a change of the guards at the Pentagon and it is now starting to clean up its house www.abovetopsecret.com... . This could be start of the whole lot unravelling boys. Gates is a soon to be PTW (power that was). Just hold the line, keep the pressure up, and don't go too nuts just yet. Once the military is sorted the rest will fall in line real quick.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
They can start cutting benefits for the top brass, those guys make a fortune in pension and benefits. Leave the grunts alone, especially those you are on disability from tours in Iraqistan

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I had a Dream a few Days ago,where the USA is invaded with massive Amounts of Ships and Soldiers...thing is,its the US Military who invades their own Country,hehe. If that gets passed,i can see that happen

top topics

join