It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wed 01/12 History Channel airing "10.0 Megaquake" & "Earthquake in the Heartland (New Madrid)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Somebody please tell me that there isn't a hidden agenda or subliminal message behind these programs and this is just a coincidence......I mean with all these animals suddenly dying off, particularly in the midwest US it seems to mean that it's only a matter of time before something much more serious happens.

www.history.com...

10.0 Megaquake (Brand new 2 hour show that is premiering)

Scientists offer insight into how and where a 10.0 megaquake could strike. This two-hour History special explores one of the most deadly and perplexing mysteries that surrounds planet earth: huge megaquakes. The largest quake ever recorded was a 9.5 earthquake off of Chile in 1960, but new research shows how even larger quakes close to 10.0 just might be possible. Through interviews with top earthquake experts and cutting edge scientific experiments, the special reveals that over 3 billion people on earth are in immediate danger from the next big one and how a real 10.0 might actually happen on US soil--in places you might not expect

Followed by:

Mega Disasters: Earthquake in the Heartland. (Not sure if this is a new show but I haven't seen it)

Could a killer earthquake strike America's heartland? If history proves true, the answer is yes. The 1811-1812 New Madrid Earthquakes (centered in southeast Missouri) rank as some of North America's most catastrophic natural disasters. Stretching more than 160 miles, a system of earthquake faults lurks beneath the Mississippi River basin, loaded and ready to erupt. And it's happened before. Pioneer residents of New Madrid, Missouri were thrown from their beds in the early hours of December 16, 1811 when an estimated 8-point earthquake hit. But it wasn't just one event. Multiple shocks were experienced over the next three months--the largest caused the Mississippi to flow backwards. No earthquake sequence has lasted so long, produced so many shocks, nor created such astonishing phenomena on land and water. The New Madrid Fault remains a seismically active area and experts expect a repeat. The only question is when...

edit on 5-1-2011 by Disconnected Sociopath because: info

edit on 5-1-2011 by Disconnected Sociopath because: add info

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Disconnected Sociopath

Thank you for the heads up on this. I will be sure to watch it.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Has anyone else wondered, with all the secret underground bunkers/military bases, underground railways, mining, etc. going on down there why we haven't had the big one yet? It must be like swiss cheese down there.

edit on 5-1-2011 by willie9696 because: misspelling lol

edit on 5-1-2011 by willie9696 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Ya know what, I hate to say it, but this is one that I've been worried about for a while. Of course, the fact that I've worried about it, doesn't mean it's going to happen, but I remember being warned of this one during my freshmen year of high school. That was 20 years ago. Some guy was predicting that there would be a HUGE quake on the New Madrid fault on Dec. 3rd of that year. It didn't happen, but being that I'm in Kentucky, I've often thought about it ever since then. It was said that the quake of 1811 actually rang church bells in Boston! That's scary, considering that Boston is a few hundred miles away from the fault line. We never had earthquake drills in school, here in Kentucky, up until that point, but now it's common.

I really think it's just a matter of time and it would definitely be wise to be prepared. I hope it's not soon, but I can't really say it would surprise me. I'm usually not one to try to spread fear of ANYTHING on here. Quite the opposite really, but considering what we've experienced lately, around the world, it's kind of troubling.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Naa, humans are fascinated with disasters -- that creates ratings.. pure and simple!

I'll be watching.. I'm hoping they show the latest data on the fault zone, show more cut-aways into the earth where the sand blows are.

On google earth, near New Madrid, in the farmers crops, you can clearly see where the sand blows were.
very creepy.

I just hope its not all a "here is what happens if a 10 hit' with low budget CG.. give us some good, current data...

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

Umm - No - From the epic center of the 2 large quakes to Boston, MA - 1,500 miles - give or take a few miles depending on the route. :-)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by gemineye

Ya know what, I hate to say it, but this is one that I've been worried about for a while. Of course, the fact that I've worried about it, doesn't mean it's going to happen, but I remember being warned of this one during my freshmen year of high school. That was 20 years ago. Some guy was predicting that there would be a HUGE quake on the New Madrid fault on Dec. 3rd of that year. It didn't happen, but being that I'm in Kentucky, I've often thought about it ever since then. It was said that the quake of 1811 actually rang church bells in Boston! That's scary, considering that Boston is a few hundred miles away from the fault line. We never had earthquake drills in school, here in Kentucky, up until that point, but now it's common.

I really think it's just a matter of time and it would definitely be wise to be prepared. I hope it's not soon, but I can't really say it would surprise me. I'm usually not one to try to spread fear of ANYTHING on here. Quite the opposite really, but considering what we've experienced lately, around the world, it's kind of troubling.

Any EQ that would be mag 7.0 or greater on the NM fault would be a disaster of epic proportions for this country. And it radius would also be very large since there are no major mountains in the midwest to absorb the shockwaves. This is also why the one that happened 200 years ago reached Boston and other place far away. In fact if you recal the 5.5 EQ that happened in Eastern Canada earlier this year, it was felt as far away as PA and OH for this same reason.

Add to the fact that most homes and buildings aren't built like they are in California - and you have death and destruction that would be unheard of. And speaking of the 'big one' on the west coast, IMO the big one is the New Madrid considering how much more serious a mag 7.0+ EQ would be in the midwest compared to the west coast.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Well I can tell you that the 10.0 'mega-thrust' quake could happen right here in Washington State.

I assure you, it would have a bigger impact than a 7.0 in the midwest.

Seattle and surrounding cities might have newer construction built to eartquake 'code', but I guarantee you, no structure could withstand a 10.0 mega thrust earthquake.

Seattle would be flattened, multiple other towns would be destroyed, mega tsunamis would be created and most likely multiple volcanos would errupt, including Rainier. It WILL be catastrophic WHEN it happens.

It is not a matter of if, but when.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pharyax
Naa, humans are fascinated with disasters -- that creates ratings.. pure and simple!

I'll be watching.. I'm hoping they show the latest data on the fault zone, show more cut-aways into the earth where the sand blows are.

On google earth, near New Madrid, in the farmers crops, you can clearly see where the sand blows were.
very creepy.

I just hope its not all a "here is what happens if a 10 hit' with low budget CG.. give us some good, current data...

I'm sure this show's effects will be pretty good like the rest of History channels DOOM related programs (i.e. life after people). Because like you said, they do want ratings too.

For the record I do believe there is some kind of conspiracy with the History channel - not sure if TPTB are controlling the content in order to prepare us for something serious in the near future - but just everything they show nowadays has to do with doom, aliens, nostradamas, religious upheaval, end of the world, etc. In fact right now as I type this they are showing another brand new 2 hour special - "Prophets of Doom" and guess what the subject matter is? The demise of the United States and how they think it will happen.

Bottom line - History Channel's doom related content has been ramping up the last 3 years. Might be time to rename it the Doom Channel....

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I believe it is hidden agenda and there has been a lot more conversation over all about the New Madri lately. Will definitely watch it - thanks for letting us know date and time. 2 hours of fright!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

My god.. They're airing it to ease the 'karma' like they do with putting hidden messages of sorts into other TV programs.

This thread has a prediction that there'll be a LARGE quake around Jan. 20 www.abovetopsecret.com... then there's this thread discussing the New Madrid www.abovetopsecret.com... and this video www.youtube.com... showing that they ARE going to do it at some point. Perhaps they're airing it on the History channel so they can have a chuckle at the 'irony' if you can even call it that. Unsure of how this is going to affect my city (Victoria, BC) but god damn..

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
Well I can tell you that the 10.0 'mega-thrust' quake could happen right here in Washington State.

I assure you, it would have a bigger impact than a 7.0 in the midwest.

Seattle and surrounding cities might have newer construction built to eartquake 'code', but I guarantee you, no structure could withstand a 10.0 mega thrust earthquake.

Seattle would be flattened, multiple other towns would be destroyed, mega tsunamis would be created and most likely multiple volcanos would errupt, including Rainier. It WILL be catastrophic WHEN it happens.

It is not a matter of if, but when.

No question about that my friend.

The New Madrid or San Andreas is nothing compared to the sleeping giant known as Cascadia. I've only been studying EQ's for a few years now, but when I found about this ancient beast lurking in the pacific NW it was enough for me to decide against moving there when I had the opportunity last year. I'd much rather take my chances down here in southern cali even though certain EQ megadoom is not a matter of if, but when in these parts as well.

Sadly I'm probably screwed either way because a mega 10+ mag EQ up there would certainly be felt down here and likely trigger the entire San Andreas, Long Valley and possibly even Yellowstone so I guess the entire west coast would be screwed. A true catastrophe like you said.

Also important to note - and I don't mean to fear monger. But there is a well known psychic (Joseph Tittell) that just a few days ago predicted that the largest EQ ever recorded (which would have to be at least a 9.5+ mag) is going to happen somewhere on the west coast in 2011. I don't give much credence to psychics, but this same dude predicted Michael Jackson's death and also has a very good hit rate especially with natural disasters. He claims he sees newspaper headlines in his sleep and that's the root of his predictions.

Here's his website if anybody is interested:

spiritmanjoseph.blogspot.com...

He doesn't have the full list of 2011 predictions in written form on his blog yet, but if you listen to the radio broadcast from new years day he talks about the west coast mega quake and large CA earthquake, and many other doom related predictions for this year.
edit on 5-1-2011 by Disconnected Sociopath because: add more info

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

There is a lot of talking about the NM because this is the bicentennial year for the event. It's perfectly normal to observe such anniversities, we do it all the time for other things. Do you think the US is never going to not remember the date 9/11? Think back to 1976......the bicenntenial year was a big year.
There is no agenda just an important observation. People who didn't know about the quake will learn what can happen, and what to do if it should ever happen again. Earthquakes do not come on schedule, they never have.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by stars15k
reply to post by crazydaisy

There is a lot of talking about the NM because this is the bicentennial year for the event. It's perfectly normal to observe such anniversities, we do it all the time for other things. Do you think the US is never going to not remember the date 9/11? Think back to 1976......the bicenntenial year was a big year.
There is no agenda just an important observation. People who didn't know about the quake will learn what can happen, and what to do if it should ever happen again. Earthquakes do not come on schedule, they never have.

If I didn't believe in conspiracys, I certainly wouldn't be on this site.

With that said - how do we know the government and their scientists haven't discovered a way to predict major EQ's right down to the day and hour despite what the MSM feeds the general public. No way would they tell millions of people that a massive EQ is going to destory their homes and kill their families and friends even if they could minimize the impact by warning us. But at the very least they can subliminal warn us, which I believe is what is going on with all these history channel shows the last few years.

But even if science isn't lying to us regarding the inability to predict major EQ's - it is scientific fact that certain Doom is inevitable and desitined to happen again, likely within in our lifetimes. And the longer Cascadia, New Madrid, San Andreas, Yellowstone, etc go without activity, the greater the chance one of the unleashes their fury tomorrow. And both science and religion aren't arguing otherwise. It's not a question of if, but when.

Also not to get off topic - but if 2012 is nothing but another Y2K type of hysteria - why have governments worldwide been building massive underground bunkers the last 10 years? At the very least they are taking precautions so they must know there is at least a 1% chance of something dire happening...sooner than later.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Sorry, but there are few countries or eras or civilizations who haven't dug in for protections against something. And underground bunkers have been dug in the US by the government for ages. There are and have been lots of them all along, so making more (if the reports are true, which I take with a large grain of salt) isn't that big a deal.
Being in an underground bunker is not exactly prime planning for an earthquake. The closer to the epicenter the worse off you would be; as earthquakes take place underground, you would be very close.
If there was a way to predict earthquakes, don't you think someone would have leaked that by now? There are seismologists all over the world, and they would not all be able to have their information controlled by the USGov, or anyone else. It would be counter-productive.
There are enough real things to worry about in the world to be fretting over the possibility someone is going to trigger an earthquake for the sheer joy of doing it.
As to my purpose on this site? It's motto is "Deny Ignorance". When you learn about the processes and details involved in most conspiracy theories you are denying ignorance. When you believe them without research you are not.

new topics

top topics

join