It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why is it so difficult to admit that we don't know?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
so, why is it so difficult to admit that we just ain't got a clue?
using a message board like this is an easy example.
seems to me that people toss out all kinds of rediculous theories and explanations in order to prolong a good argument/conversation.
personally i enjoy just tossing out the opposing view, especially concerning political topics.
i just don't play into the left/right paradigm.
i find myself consistently doing this in real life also.
is it just a part of human nature to be confrontational to a point?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I completely agree. Its so difficult for anybody *NOT* to be an expert. Humbling yourself and admitting unknown seems to be regarded as some kind of defeat.

What really irritates me as well, is people consistently claiming science, or politics, or government, or religion or whatever has all the answers. This is SO far from true, its almost ridiculous.

Between Quantum theory that creates imaginary particles to explain attraction, to gaping holes in string and brane theory's that are mathematical messes. (In which the physics community adopts as perfect and unflawed)

Or the overtly obvious Wikileaks cables on Iraq that say: "Your government is lying to you" in seemingly big bold letters.
(yet on other political issues, we think the government could never lie)

Or specific religions destroying themselves and their own reputation by being a hypocrites to their own doctrine.

When will we step back and realize that we are just a tiny, little speck in our tiny little speck of a galaxy: peering through our "sophisticated" tubular telescopes and saying "Oh... oh yes. I see. We now know everything. Because A = B, A = C as well. "

End of rant.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Well the fact that your on a conspiracy website should tell you that we dont know . Thats why we are here to share information with others so we get a better picture of the big picture . Its not hard to admit we don't know but you seem to think it is . If we knew there wouldnt be a need for conspiracys now would there ? The basis of this whole premis is that we don't know . Heance why were here trying to know. I think your post is your own personality trait . You probably the type that thought he knew it all till the come to ATS then realize you know very little .

Deny Ignorance

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Doesn't it depend in how you put your point across? I love discussing current events, theories, beliefs etc. The problem comes when someone stops trying to learn from others and thinks they're right all the time. Or just really doesn't have a clue what they're talking about. Maybe we should think first, then listen, then we may have something to share. Most times though ego/pride gets in the way, and it can get messy. Also keep in mind who you're talking to, not everyone has the same desire to know things or at least ask why sometimes. I personally like to listen to different opinions theories and our personal beliefs evolve as we get older. Remember the old proverb, "I didn't know he/she didn't know anything until they opened their mouth and proved it".

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

Your bread with arrogance.

Enough said.

Like how i tell my story here, all true and proven so, and people just want to call me a troll.

Arrogance.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

is it just a part of human nature to be confrontational to a point?

Yes...and that's why these boards are so wonderful as you get a mix of it all: It's therapy, it's fun, and you even get the 411..!

Man can I bust out a rhyme or what..?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AsimpleAbstraction

don't confuse science with abstarct theories like politics. Trial and error works with science.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
so, why is it so difficult to admit that we just ain't got a clue?

I don't know my friend.

I suspect it is because saying I don't know leaves us vulnerable to the fact that the other guy knows.

But, I don't know.

With love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
but admitting you don't know is the most noble and honest thing a human can do. Because in the end, there is no proof of a god, no aliens, only fear. I fear death, but I except it. And I will not wear a tin foil headress in some shamanistic attempt to appease my ego

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

You probably the type that thought he knew it all till the come to ATS then realize you know very little .

i guess my hint of sarcasm wasn't strong enough.
anyhow, like i said, there are times when i absolutely fall into the premise of the o.p.
there are also many times i want to know info and have no problem asking for help etc.....

another example of times i'm particularly confrontational is with the overtly religious crowd. this is all about claiming facts when in my opinion it's few facts mixed in with symbology and fiction.

othertimes i think it's people making an attempt in some way to prove their education.
pay for a masters degree in time and money and some think they do know it all.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Good point.

I might say that it's not about knowing as much as it should be about understanding. It seems that information can split into many paths. It seems some gain knowledge to know, and some simply understand. I tend to think that there are a wide array of variables that determine and separate them quite distinctly.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I take everything with a grain of salt. Some days on some subjects, I know more than any expert. I know all the answer. Other days I can’t even remember the recipe for White Sauce, which I prepared weekly for almost 30 years. The nice things about boards is you don’t have to know anything to reply to a post, but it sure helps if you can make a intelligent counterpoint to the conversation.

I always welcomed different points of view. To say I don’t know, simply means I lack the knowledge and have to do research. Why would you respond to something you don’t know anything about first palace? Except to post a reply. When all you can really do is ask more questions.

new topics

top topics

join