It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks:Locking Up Whistleblower Bradley Manning in Solitary Confinement Puts America's Depravity

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
S&F!! Manning did something commendable by reporting injustice.

History Channel (central time zone) has a show about Assange and his actions on right now.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Yes, I would like to see some further corroboration before I fully accept that he has said that. The only reason I say this is I have seen a number of interviews with him, as well as Constitutional lawyer Glenn Greenwald (who is in contact with Assange) which do not indicate that this is some sort of vendetta, but more so a recognition that there is some serious problems which are plaguing this planet right now, and a large part of them are related to our foreign policy and world policing nonsense, as well as the endless lies in relation TO these policies which tend to keep us locked in these endless conflicts.

Now, that being said, I have actually said on more than one occasion that I am still on the fence with what exactly may be the purpose in its entirety behind these leaks and Assange himself, so I am not ruling anything out. I am keeping an open mind to ALL possibilities. But at this stage I have not seen enough data to convince me he or Manning are the 'bad guys' here, and I HAVE seen a lot of data to indicate that the pathological liars and thugs whose corrupt and criminal behavior being exposed by the release of these documants ARE.

Just sayin.

edit on 5-1-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
thats the american model

america is worse than islamic countries in the matter of freedom

lets be realistic

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Points taken.. I tend to be on the non beleiving side of the fence due to the manner the info is handeled and released. To me, if a person has information of criminal actions, and in this case since it deals with a Government, the implications will be larger than an individual action, then its critical and should be brought to someones attention with the goal of stopping / correcting / holding people accountible.

To date, Assange has made claims of massive criminal actions, but has not done anything to single that out. Instead he piece meals it out, through his site or media outlets, and again not all of the information is provided. The release is usually done in large numbers, which further call his actions into question.

Its like telling the public that he has found evidence the US Government has poisoned a Salmon and releases the document with the info, along with 3 thousand other reports talking about salmon.

When his court battle in london was going on, his info release slowed to a trickle. Only when the media attention around that dies down, did he start giving mroe tidbits about a US bank and potential wrong doing, yet again it was a teaser. Since that is slowly out of the news I give him a few days before he ends up back in the headlines with more tidbits.

The drive behind a whistle blower to to stop criminal activites that are being hidden. When a whistle blower takes that info to a news outlet, the expectation is to research it and broadcast it since its in the intrest of the people to know (The media in my opinion is charged with minding the peoples business by constantly nagging the Government, then we the people take back over on election day).

Assange has failed at this, on a massive level, and has done nothing but murky the entire pool instead of clearing it out.

This is why I have issues with them. Their stated intentions are not supported by their actions.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol
thats the american model

lets be realistic

Lol ok.. Do me a favor and move to Saudi Arabia, Iran or China, and go onto one of their websites and make that exact same comment about their governments, and we will compare the aftermath of that action.

That is if you can find a website in anyone of those countries that would even have forums in the manner we do here.

If he did this in an Muslim country he would be ded already. As an example Iran just executed a few people for supposedly, not definitely, but supposedly, spying for Israel. No trial, no appeal, just dead.
edit on 5-1-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
What he did in very recent times would have gotten him shot.

And, it may be called for yet, as his releases have likely gotten agents lives put at risk.

And if any one of them died, I'd be for executing him.

You don't steal confidential records from a nation, and not get charged with treason.

If guilty, it should be death.

I know some retards think he's some kind of hero, but if that information had gotten one of your loved ones killed or put at risk, then I would imagine you'd be singing a different tune.

On the other hand, the best thing the US can do is turn him loose. He's pissed off so many nations that their agents can make quick work of him, and his blood be on his own head.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by FarArcher

Which is quite possibly another reason he is in solitary confinement. I failed to look at it from that point of view of being under threat from other nations. If he is placed into general population then any type of hit would be easier to do.

Also, again I overlooked, is that people he served with did not like him, and chances are everyone in the military knows who he is and what he did, including those military personnel who are in jail. People who would not take to kindly to his actions, and wouldnt mind carrying out their ownt trial and punishment on manning.

Also, reports are he is gay, which could be another reason he is in solitary (several reports have talked about thi, but I dont think its been 100 percent confirmed aside from info that he was on his way out of the military for reasons before the release of classified info).

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Oh, please. Manning is a traitor. In many other countries he would simply be taken out into the prison yard and shot by now. But in "depraved" America he will get lawyered up, get a book contract, and receive sympathy from all over. I'm so sorry Pvt. Manning is so sad being locked up and all. I'm sure being locked up, getting three meals a day, and being confined in solitary is terribly upsetting to him.

After all, his fellow soldiers undergo no such depravity. They are out in the open air, They get to live in tents, wear heavy body armor, and hike around in 120 heat while getting shot at.

My friend,

Manning disclosed documents which revealed the atrocities being covered up by our political leaders which would sway the peoples opinion in support of the war effort. These documents detailed numerous unreported civilian deaths as well as outright torture under US jurisdiction by Iraqi Military. So I ask you, when is his actions NOT treason?

Would he be a traitor if details of how Your family was annihilated while innocently walking down the street by US forces were part of his cache?

If it was your children being tortured by Iraqi forces, would you still be rejoicing at his treatment?

Lastly, if Manning was your son, would YOU want to see him treated this way?

War is Hell, there is no doubt about that. If you can't see the good in exposing it truthfully to the American people that they too can see what is really going on, what exactly it is they are supporting, well that's your choice comrade.

He is a traitor because he broke the rules. Rules which were being used to keep the American people in the dark as to what is really going on in Iraq and Afghanistan. For this you would have him shot?

Just think about it my friend,

With Love,

Your Brother

edit on 5-1-2011 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

This is the flaw in the argument for manning though. He did nothing with the info that would correct the problem. Instead of releasing just the information that documented the criminal behavior, he went beyond that and included info that is neither illegal or even remotely related to criminal activities.

The manner in which manning released the info, and the behavior of assange and wikileaks, also do not support the claim of whistle blowing in an effort to stop illegal behavior. To date, again, the info is being released with non related matrial, which essentuially covers up the criminal activity.

Burying that info in massive dumps, and using assanges own argument, will continue to cost lives since its not being dealt with because it cant be found.

The reason and the actions of these people are incompatible.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by Faiol
thats the american model

lets be realistic

Lol ok.. Do me a favor and move to Saudi Arabia, Iran or China, and go onto one of their websites and make that exact same comment about their governments, and we will compare the aftermath of that action.

That is if you can find a website in anyone of those countries that would even have forums in the manner we do here.

If he did this in an Muslim country he would be ded already. As an example Iran just executed a few people for supposedly, not definitely, but supposedly, spying for Israel. No trial, no appeal, just dead.
edit on 5-1-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

you are being profiled right now as you speak ... so, dont expect to not suffer some retaliation in the future

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Given that WL publicly came out with info that puts the Arabic world in a bad light, and they're still alive, I disagree with you. Also, you are talking about the Internet as a centralized structure...which just isn't the case. There's dozens of mirrors worldwide, not all in the US...
edit on 6-1-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

This is the flaw in the argument for manning though. He did nothing with the info that would correct the problem. Instead of releasing just the information that documented the criminal behavior, he went beyond that and included info that is neither illegal or even remotely related to criminal activities.

The manner in which manning released the info, and the behavior of assange and wikileaks, also do not support the claim of whistle blowing in an effort to stop illegal behavior. To date, again, the info is being released with non related matrial, which essentuially covers up the criminal activity.

Burying that info in massive dumps, and using assanges own argument, will continue to cost lives since its not being dealt with because it cant be found.

^^^ messed up logic
edit on 6-1-2011 by Ellen15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
This whole discussion is pointless anyway, you can't stop leaked information from ending up on the Internet...it's something no one can stop. The whole situation is comparable to the RIAA's hunt for illegal media downloads. They've been trying for years to "control the Internet"...yet it's still super easy to find pretty much every software, movie, series, music on the net for free. Not even draconian punishments have helped to stop all this...and it's the same for WL and how information ends up on the Internet.

Instead of focusing on trying to stop all this, which is a futile battle, they should focus on making sure the bad stuff that's being reported can't happen again. THAT would make this a better world.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Given that WL publicly came out with info that puts the Arabic world in a bad light, and they're still alive, I disagree with you. Also, you are talking about the Internet as a centralized structure...which just isn't the case. There's dozens of mirrors worldwide, not all in the US...
edit on 6-1-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

And again Assanges stated intentions for these releases was to expose illegal / criminal activity on the Part of the US Government in an effort to end 2 wars and bring the people responsbile to accountibility. To date none of this has happened. To date, assange has buried information in thousands of other documents that have nothing to do with any illegal activity.

Care to explain how the Ambassador to France descrbing Sarkozy as having control issues is illegal?

All of Assanges actions to date are inconsistent with his stated goals.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

Being I am not paranoid I could care less if I am being profiled or not.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Ellen15

I am assuming you are stating wikileaks actions are messed up logic. If not please explain how my logic is messed up?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

reply to post by IAMIAM

The problem here my friend, is that I do not know the "why" of things and how the "why" has impacted the method. Without knowing the "why", I cannot say I would have done it differently. Also, if I did know the why, and I did come up with a way to do it differently, this does not mean either man could arrive at the same conclusion. What's done is done how it was meant to be done. What we as a society now have to do is to decide how to move forward. Is keeping the person who disclosed the information alive in deplorable conditions going to undo what has been done? No. Is it going to prevent others from doing the same? No.
What is the purpose other than to exact punishment out of revenge?

War is Hell. I cannot say this enough. We as a species need to learn to move past creating Hell to protect our share of earths bounty and learn to share it, that we may create the Heaven we all dream about. What we are doing to this Man, this human being, is not conducive to achieving this goal.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

This whole discussion is pointless anyway, you can't stop leaked information from ending up on the Internet...it's something no one can stop. The whole situation is comparable to the RIAA's hunt for illegal media downloads. They've been trying for years to "control the Internet"...yet it's still super easy to find pretty much every software, movie, series, music on the net for free. Not even draconian punishments have helped to stop all this...and it's the same for WL and how information ends up on the Internet.

Instead of focusing on trying to stop all this, which is a futile battle, they should focus on making sure the bad stuff that's being reported can't happen again. THAT would make this a better world.

Completely agree.. and again since that info is being buried in thousands of other documents that have nothing to do with anything other than it being embarassing to the US or other governments makes that task almost impossible.

Which again shows Assanges actions are not that of a concerned individual, but a person who seeks revenge on the US because they do not share the morals of julian Assange.

revenge.. which assange has stated is his goal...

When Assange heads over the cliff I am curious how many worshippers will go over with him...
edit on 6-1-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

And again Assanges stated intentions for these releases was to expose illegal / criminal activity on the Part of the US Government in an effort to end 2 wars and bring the people responsbile to accountibility. To date none of this has happened. To date, assange has buried information in thousands of other documents that have nothing to do with any illegal activity.

All of Assanges actions to date are inconsistent with his stated goals.

Your beef should be with the newspapers not wikileaks lolol

You obviously support the war and trust your government when it comes to the 2 wars

The Afghan and Iraq War Logs were released by the newspapers late last year and around the same time "Obamas War" was also released (but not by wikileaks or newspapers)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Please provide the actual quote where Assange said "revenge"

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join