It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks:Locking Up Whistleblower Bradley Manning in Solitary Confinement Puts America's Depravity

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

WikiLeaks: Locking Up Whistleblower Bradley Manning in Solitary Confinement Puts America's Depravity on Full Display

www.alternet.org

As Salon’s Glenn Greenwald and several other courageous journalists have documented, Bradley Manning, the 22-year-old U.S. Army Private accused of leaking classified documents to WikiLeaks, has been detained in solitary confinement for the last seven months, despite not having been convicted of any crime, having been a model detainee, and having evidenced no signs of violence or even disciplinary misdemeanors. Manning has been kept alone in a cell for 23 hours a day, barred from exercising in that cell, deprived of sleep, and denied even a pillow or sheets for his bed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 5-1-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Alright, this story is definitely one that deserves much, MUCH more attention than it has been getting!

This young man, to me is a true hero, but his plight gets virtually no attention, due to him being silenced into isolationary oblivion.

He is purported to be the one who uncovered all of the documents showing unbelievable governmental & military criminality and corruption, and turned them over to wikileaks to expose these criminals.

Due to this heroic act, he has been incarcerated, and locked away in solitary confinement, and treated worse than an animal by our government. He is being psychologically tortured for exposing the truth of these criminals.

This is ONE OF OUR OWN BEING ABUSED people!

We need to rise up against this and start speaking up on his behalf. This insanity and abuse has to stop. Call your gov officials and let your voices be heard. This guy is being held in deplorable conditions with NO CHARGES against him!

*Edit to add in---MSNBC DID run a small piece describing this disgusting, inhumanity being held against this whistle blowing hero for truth! Please take 2 minutes of your time to view this, this story needs to be heard by everyone:

www.alternet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5-1-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: add in news video clip

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Good find. Unfortunately, I bet there are a large number of blind Americans who will agree with this treatment on the basis that it's not them and that the detainee is a "traitor" by helping Wikileaks. I'm not for or against Wikileaks but exposure of governmental crimes, especially Western governments, is a necessity.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Thanks for posting this. I wish more people knew. Unfortunately he gave up his rights when he joined the military. They have their own justice system and I'm not sure there's much anyone outside of the military can doo about it.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
On December 23 many papers and blogs reported, that the UN was going to investigate the case, but I did not hear any news about that yet.

But I think there is little hope, since Guantanamo. Didn't Obama promise to close that torture camp within a year? It's still there. So why should anybody hinder them to torture their own people?

O, world keep silent
O, world keep quiet
This is my soldier
And not your soldier
I can make him jump where and when I want!

(Free after a German children song)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Welcome to futurama folks!
So we criticize China because it condemns pro democratic movements.
Yet we are too, imprisonating people for trying to achieve freedom.
Like if this was a chinese guy that exposed the chinese government americans would be calling it undemocratic to imprison him.
Nonsense, utter nonsense.
All I can think of when I try to picture him in the cell is 1984...
The white room. Hours in solidarity. Strictly monitored.
And they even through him some chemical pills to keep him "sane".

'Back to your seat Smith!'

If I could I would take your place.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Oh, please. Manning is a traitor. In many other countries he would simply be taken out into the prison yard and shot by now. But in "depraved" America he will get lawyered up, get a book contract, and receive sympathy from all over. I'm so sorry Pvt. Manning is so sad being locked up and all. I'm sure being locked up, getting three meals a day, and being confined in solitary is terribly upsetting to him.

After all, his fellow soldiers undergo no such depravity. They are out in the open air, They get to live in tents, wear heavy body armor, and hike around in 120 heat while getting shot at.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

A traitor to whom? The government and military industrial complex? For exposing their LIES?!?

This guy saw absolutely DISGUSTING documentation of outright MURDER of civilians being COVERED UP, and KNEW it was wrong!

If we had more people LIKE him, perhaps we could eventually put a stop to this endless grotesqueries being perpetuated by these institutions who are PROFITEERING off of death and suffering!

Wake up man.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
After all, his fellow soldiers undergo no such depravity. They are out in the open air, They get to live in tents, wear heavy body armor, and hike around in 120 heat while getting shot at.

Yes they do. But why? Because they were told, that there are some bad people over there in the Middle East and they would have to go there and shoot people to protect the USA.

Manning was there, too. But he had not given up his humanity when he put on the uniform.

I hesitate to call him intelligent, because he outed himself to a stranger who took him in. But obviously he has a high moral and responsibility, that accounts for more than just his country.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Personal view aside, he is a member of the US military and is subject to the UCMJ and not civilian criminal law. As such he can be detained pending investigations, and as far as we know because of media, manning is the only person involved in the leak. We do not know if that is accurate as the investigation is still on going, meaning it could involve others.

Solitary confinement is for his protection as well as other people, but not for the reaons you might expect. He is an intelligence analyst and accessed classified information he did not have authroity to access. Place him into a position where is is around other people in jail and you run the risk of him talking to these people.

Again it goes back to disclosing classified information to people not authorized to have it. It also can place anyone he tells into the position of receiving classified information they are not authorized to have, which means the possibility of more charges.

Also, manning is accused of crimes, and if I am not mistaekn the JAG / CID investigation is ongoing. Since it deals with a breach in national security and classified systems, I would say its gonna take time to sort the mess out.

He made his own bed.. If he did not want to sit in jail while under investigation, he should not have comitted an act of treason. Before people throw a fit over that word, look up treason for the military and what it entails, paying particular attention to the areas that talk about times of war.

Last but not least, wikileaks has no room to criticise anything anymore for their own behavior in all of this mess. Assange, who has stated his sole purpose of releasing this information is for revenge against the US Government, is no journalist, nor is he a hero.

He is a washed up self absored jackass whose only concern is his own and no one elses.
edit on 5-1-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Again it goes back to disclosing classified information to people not authorized to have it. It also can place anyone he tells into the position of receiving classified information they are not authorized to have, which means the possibility of more charges.

Also, manning is accused of crimes, and if I am not mistaekn the JAG / CID investigation is ongoing. Since it deals with a breach in national security and classified systems, I would say its gonna take time to sort the mess out.

He made his own bed.. If he did not want to sit in jail while under investigation, he should not have comitted an act of treason.

Thank God for clear-thinking people on this board. I wanted to post along these lines, but you laid it out so well already.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Riiiight...It's for 'his safety'.

And where has Assange ever said he is doing this as REVENGE against the U.S. governernment? Do you have actual proof of him making such a statement? Because in all the interviews I have seen of him, I have never seen him make this claim. That sounds more like a Fox News sound bit to me.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Umm sorry but Pvt. Manning did what he did as part of the collapse of his personal life not to any perceived injustice. Considering his position he committed treason. All the guy did was self-destruct. Stop trying to make a hero out of a fool.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Manning was aware of the risks:

i wouldn't mind going to prison for the rest of my life, or being executed so much

I think, this is why many see him as a hero.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I was going to go into the whole treason bit, but several others here who understand there are consequences in the real world beat me to it. He's a traitor, lucky he's lasted this long, and of course wikileaks is upset, they gotta find a new sucker.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
reply to post by Xcathdra

Riiiight...It's for 'his safety'.

And where has Assange ever said he is doing this as REVENGE against the U.S. governernment? Do you have actual proof of him making such a statement? Because in all the interviews I have seen of him, I have never seen him make this claim. That sounds more like a Fox News sound bit to me.

Got to love the invocation of Fox News. I wish people would do research into the people they want to worship.. here is the info you wanted, sadly though its not from FoxNews, but the Economic Times of India. Control the urge to label the article as the hoax that was going around because the title is WikiLeaks to publish files on aliens, UFOs. This is where Assange makes fun of those people wanting UFO info.

if you are going to quote the for his safety part, quote it all or proper context, as I said it was not for the reasons people will think. Placing him in a cell with others allows him the ability to cointinue releasing classified information to people who are not authorized to have it, which places the people who hear it in danger of additional charges, which contionues as that person is moved from area to area.

So yeah, its for mannings safety as well as anyone who could be charged by being in a cell with manning.

DailyMail
Economic Times

Assange said his decision to dump top secret US documents on its website was revenge against "abusive elements of the United States government".

Does this work or do I need to reference some other sites before you will beleive Assange has been misleading all his worshipers to support his revenge campaign against the US Government because he wants to feel superior to everyone and can do no wrong?

Also, you seem to speak as an insider on this topic with your claims about his actions and exposing lies of the Government. How do you know what is a lie and what is not?

To me the simple fact he went on his moral crusade in an effort to hold the US responsible for supposed criminal activity, then turning around and chucking his moral ethics out the window by ignoring legitimate claims against him that are of a criminal nature should have opened some eyes...

I guess blindess occurs during worship envy...

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
reply to post by schuyler

A traitor to whom? The government and military industrial complex? For exposing their LIES?!?

This guy saw absolutely DISGUSTING documentation of outright MURDER of civilians being COVERED UP, and KNEW it was wrong!

If we had more people LIKE him, perhaps we could eventually put a stop to this endless grotesqueries being perpetuated by these institutions who are PROFITEERING off of death and suffering!

Wake up man.

We have had people like him throughout history..

Benedict Arnold
Herbert Hans Haupt
Martin James Monti
Aldrich Ames
The Rosenbergs
Johnathon Pollard
Jane Fonda
Robert Hanssen

Yup.. He will take his place among those honored names from History if convicted. Quite an impressive list to be on.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
...here is the info you wanted, sadly though its not from FoxNews, but the Economic Times of India. Control the urge to label the article as the hoax that was going around because the title is WikiLeaks to publish files on aliens, UFOs. This is where Assange makes fun of those people wanting UFO info.

And it's wrong again. Why don't you look at the original:

Julian Assange: Many weirdos email us about UFOs or how they discovered that they were the anti-christ whilst talking with their ex-wife at a garden party over a pot-plant. However, as yet they have not satisfied two of our publishing rules. 1) that the documents not be self-authored; 2) that they be original. However, it is worth noting that in yet-to-be-published parts of the cablegate archive there are indeed references to UFOs.

He never said, he is going to publish files "on aliens, UFO". He said, that their are indeed references to UFOs in some cables.

And even your quote is taken from a third party including their interpretation:

Assange said his decision to dump top secret US documents on its website was revenge against "abusive elements of the United States government".

If you had read the original about "UFOs" then you also could have seen this original:

Many of these are still available at mirror.wikileaks.info and the rest will be returning as soon as we can find a moment to do address the engineering complexities. Since April of this year our timetable has not been our own, rather it has been one that has centred on the moves of abusive elements of the United States government against us. But rest assured I am deeply unhappy that the three-and-a-half years of my work and others is not easily available or searchable by the general public.

The whole revenge part is pure fiction. You could have checked both at the same site, namely where Assange answered questions of readers:

www.guardian.co.uk...

Does this work or do I need to reference some other sites before you will beleive Assange has been misleading all his worshipers to support his revenge campaign against the US Government because he wants to feel superior to everyone and can do no wrong?

No, this does not work. We don't want to read your interpretations of other's interpretations of what Assange said, while we can read the original.

And to come back to the topic: I can imagine that many US Americans see Manning as a traitor. Here in my country many streets and schools are named after people, who were executed as traitors. History can change the views.

Your list of traitors to the USA was very interesting. So Jane Fonda is one of the most important enemies of the US? Who would have thought that? I wonder, why you did not mention Charley Chaplin.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Siddharta

The quote is from an interview Assange gave, which is where he said the motive was revenge against the US. I could care less about the UFO crap, and dismissed that portion since there was a hoax going around about wikileaks and UFO information.

The Economic Times of India and the Dailymail carried it. So when these 2 sources carry stories that are favorable, you are ok with it. When the story is not favorable, you attack it.

I put a spread in there in terms of traitors, and picking out Jane Fonda in an effort to shift the conversation is humerous.

Manning is a US citizen
Manning joined the Army
Manning became an intelligence analyst
Manning made the decision to steal classified military information and give it to people who are not authorized to have it.
Manning bragged about it, and got caught
Manning is not a hero by any stretch of the imagination.
Mannings actions are treasonous, and qualify for the death penalty since your hero did this during a time of armed conflict where the info he relaesed provides aid to our enemies.

Like Jane Fonda did during the Vietnam Conflict, who is just as much of a hero as Manning is, which is to say not.

The other hero, Assange, cares so much about ethics and exposing corruption that he will commit crimes of his own to prove how morally and ethically superior he is to the US Government. He is so ethically and morally superior that he himself is above the law, because any claims made against him are bogus and nothing but a smear campaign by his enemies.

I would give you a list of his enemies, but he seems to change that on a daily basis, depending on his mood and who donates what amount of money.

If a business does not agree with Assange, they are attacked by his supporters. If a newspaper does not carry a positive story on him, its dismissed as unreliable, propoganda, etc etc.

The paranoia that Assange, and some of the people have on this site, was easier to accept during the cold war. Now it appears the paranoia is crossing over into the realm of Stockholm syndrome for followers of Assange.

You guys want justice so bad, that you ignore the fact Assange is doing the exact same thing the US government is accused of doing. Most of Assanges supporters do not think for themsleves in the manner of taking an objective view to what he is doing. They take whatever he says as absolute fact, and swallow it hook line and sinker.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
S&F!! Manning did something commendable by reporting injustice.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join