It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medieval UFO.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by wirehead
Remember that the annunciation was when God supposedly tells Mary that she's been divinely impregnated- the "virgin conception." If you were to paint this scene, as a pre-renaissance artist, you would obviously include some concrete depiction of the divine reaching down to earth, especially using the dove which is representative of the Holy Spirit.

Well since "God" is also an ET in the truest sense... perhaps not all thinkers of the day were caught up in 'religious interpretations"

Some might think it went something like this...

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Now this is a painting that actually claims to depict literal areal phenomena that were observed at some point in time. Unlike the religious paintings, this is not supposed to be symbolic, but an actual depiction of UFO phenomena, and therefore I regard it more highly.

EUROPE
Basel, Switzerland 1566

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Well since "God" is also an ET in the truest sense... perhaps not all thinkers of the day were caught up in 'religious interpretations"

It sounds like your argument is that since it is a depiction of religious iconography, and religions are actually secretly about aliens, then it's actually an iconographic depiction of something that is actually an alien. In other words, it represents aliens even if it looks nothing like aliens and is a drawing of little human angels with wings.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

especially using the dove which is representative of the Holy Spirit.

Well the DOVE... that is another symbol that has 'changed' throughout history. To study religious symbols one has to REALLY follow the trail.. Let us follow the trail of the Dove

The 'Winged Disc" Sumeria

The 'Winged Disc" Babylon

The 'Winged Disc" Persia-Assyria Zoroaster

The 'Winged Disc"
Darius I Hystaspes, or Darius the Great, king of Persia [522-486 BCE].

The 'Winged Disc"
Graeco-Roman Fresco
Kom el-Shugafa, Alexandria

The 'Winged Disc"
Rameses III
Luxor, Egypt

The 'Winged Disc"
Christian Church
Chester, England

The 'Winged Disc"
First English Lutheran Church

So you can see the transition of this symbol throughout history... Even the Mayan's had it

Also this symbol that you see behind the head of the Dove on the Lutheran church.

On an Annunaki King as pendant..

Representing Mount Meru in India/Tibet

Celtic Templar Cross

Templar Cross

Another symbol that has changed..

Today we call these Cherubim... So anyone growing up today thinks Cherubim are cute chubby baby angels

But in the days of King Solomon's Temple... THIS is what they really looked like..

They usually come in pairs and are the 'Winged Guardians' of the "Gateway'

Here we see then in Persia

I have many examples but you get the point. 2000 years of religious belief has 'adjusted' the symbols to portray what 'they' want you to believe. I am quite convinced that the artists... the TRUE free thinkers of the day... gave us some clues...

Like the Stargate used to kick Adam and Eve out of the Garden. Notice it even has the ring of symbols around the outer ring

Giovanni di Paolo, 1445,
Creation of the World & Expulsion from Paradise

So you believe your version... I will believe mine

edit on 3-1-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

It sounds like your argument is that since it is a depiction of religious iconography, and religions are actually secretly about aliens, then it's actually an iconographic depiction of something that is actually an alien. In other words, it represents aliens even if it looks nothing like aliens and is a drawing of little human angels with wings.

Yes I believe Religions came about as a result of Ancient wars between different factions of Aliens. I also believe the battle is not over yet, just not being fought in our immediate region at the moment, I also find it likely that certain religions are in fact 'routing for the wrong team' but that is another thread

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Yes I believe Religions came about as a result of Ancient wars between different factions of Aliens. I also believe the battle is not over yet, just not being fought in our immediate region at the moment, I also find it likely that certain religions are in fact 'routing for the wrong team' but that is another thread

Okay, but a painting of winged baby angel cherubim is not in any way evidence of your theory, you are just interpreting a picture of winged baby angel cherubim to mean aliens because of your specific worldview.

edit: the bit about the evolution of winged-disc imagery was more convincing, and more in line with proper argument, and I liked it.
edit on 3-1-2011 by wirehead because: edit to concede point

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by wireheadyou are just interpreting a picture of winged baby angel cherubim to mean aliens because of your specific worldview.

No I am saying that current religious leaders have changed Cherubim to look completely different than they did in biblical times... Perhaps they thought the old version looked to other worldly

And I find it likely that artists of the day might have been showing us a hint or two... like the little guy standing looking up at the UFO

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
in my opinion...the original picture looks just like the.....

Norway Spiral!!!!

even with the "laser light" shooting out a a similar angle...www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 4-1-2011 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Hi

Great thread, and an interesting discussion. You might be interested in a new book by Jacques Vallee and Chris Aubeck. It is called "Wonders in the sky: Unexplained Aerial Objects from Antiquity to Modern times." Published by Jermey P Tarcher. New York. ISBN 978-1-58542-820-5.

It features a chronology of 500 cases, and a section on myths, legends and chariots of the gods.

Directly relevant to this thread pages 470-474 is a discussion of "Aerial phenomena in classical art."

My co-blogger has recently reviewed the book at

ufos-scientificresearch.blogspot.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
OOH a really interesting discussion! Glad my original post generated such an exciting debate. I had not seen the UFO close up which showed angels. Obviously i cant ask the artist what he was thinking but from a distance it does like a UFO. Besides the artist may well have been trying to portray something unusual and the only way he could illustrate this is by drawing a classic saucer shaped UFO as a circular cluster of angels. When i saw this painting i did actually think of the exmaples of the medieval UFOs. My favourite is of course the circular balls seen in Switzerland.
I do beleive we have been visited throughout the ages, why we are the subject of such intense scrutiny i have absolutely no idea why we are, but thats another thread.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The original artwork isn't difficult to explain. The holy spirit or angelic host was often depicted by artists as a golden disc. Later, the disk was placed behind Jesus' head to symbolize his union with God, and his divinity.

In the original pic, it's even easier to see, as if you look close, you see the host of angels. This isn't far off from the myth of how Zeus was rumored to impregnate mortal women in Greek Mythology (a golden rain, or sometimes beam, etc.).

This one though: Madonna col Bambino e San Giovannino, Date. 1400s, still perplexes me. I've had quite a bit of Art History, and to me, I can't think of any symbolism that fits it... Looks like a flying ship to me.

As for the painting with the bowler hat like UFOs, if I recall, the classic consensus (from those looking at the work itself) is that they are covered gondolas out in the water. Most other paintings have similar mistakes for everyday objects then, that are not common today, or symbolic representations that are being taken out of context, but well known to art historians.

This is perhaps my biggest beef with the "Ancient Aliens" series...the actual explanations for the symbolism are out there...they just don't mention it, because they are sensationalizing (while skeptics sit back and laugh at more UFOlogy ineptness)...

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
A Chinese art depicting an odd heavenly event:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/af8add78a0e6.jpg[/atsimg]

In 1890, Wu You Ru, an artist living in the Qing Dynasty, witnessed, with hundreds of passers-bys, a fireball radiating red light in all directions in the sky. He then painted the scene, naming it Red Flames in the Sky. In the painting, he described an egg shaped fireball with red light. It floated in the sky, moving eastward. It lingered for a period of a meals time, fading into the distance little by little.

UFOs in ancient China

top topics

<< 1   >>

join