It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medieval UFO.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I found this picture and thought i would share. I know it is a religious painting but i cant help but think what else could the object be in the sky other than a UFO and i dont think laser beams had even been contemplated back then, so what are your thoughts on this? I think this another sign that UFOs have been visiting for centuries.

I am afraid i dont know when this painting back dates to or who painted it, but i wanted to let you all have a look and share your thoughts

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Beautiful image, incredible detail... I noticed upon the pillars, bottom right... there is writing, perhaps indicating the artist / date

I read something to the affect of:

"OPVSLARO LICRIVELLF"

"VENETI"

"1486"
edit on 3-1-2011 by MavRck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Oh yes!! I can see that now! Thanks for pointing that out, i had not noticed that before!!
But i agree it is a very detailed painting!

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

It's the Annunciation by Carlo Crivelli. Link

I first saw it in a Joseph Campbell book called The Power of Myth and think it's pretty damn impressive. Good book also. There's a better example at wiki...here.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

A possible theory.

Is this painting possibly the artist's depiction of the future? Just in the same way that some artists today draw or paint pictures of what they think the future will look like.
Note that people are aware of the UFO but they don't seem to care. I think if this had of been a real event and not just some idea; the painter would have drawn the people as is, with quite a few people pointing and taking interest in the flying object in the sky. Lots of birds and wings in the picture. A apparent wish to fly.
I have a question. What do you think the beam is doing? I see that it is coming through a room and touching the reading girls head but why? Also what is that white thing that the beam passes through? It looks like a knife.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Admittedly. I'm not into the ET and ancient alien thing. Although I don't deny the possibility exists. But even I can see these vids don't debunk anything. They do however, offer alternative theories, and theres nothing wrong with that, as long as they say that's what they are doing.

edit on 3-1-2011 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
yes, very interesting painting indeed... i watched an episode of "Ancient Aliens" in which brought up ufos in paintings.. heres a link to many more paintings, including dates and artists..

lithiumdreamer.tripod.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The painting (as mentioned above) is called The Annunciation, with Saint Emidius painted by Carlo Crivelli in 1486

Any posters in London can go see it for themselves in the National Gallery

Edit to add
Here is a close up of the UFO which is a group of angels

edit on 3-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Well it could be interpreted as follows.

God- in the form of a lenticular cloud
bestowing the Holy spirit which I take to be the small white dove. On a particular pious or holy person (shown here with a Halo.

I certain do not see a UFO.

But Hey. I wasn't the artist.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I think it does a pretty good job at showing that these are not UFO's or Spacecraft but are symbols and artistic styles that are COMMON throughout religious artwork of that period.

Of course, without asking all of the artists personally we will never know for sure, but using a bit of common sense we can surely agree they aren't UFO's or aliens?

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
reply to post by Klassified

I think it does a pretty good job at showing that these are not UFO's or Spacecraft but are symbols and artistic styles that are COMMON throughout religious artwork of that period.

Of course, without asking all of the artists personally we will never know for sure, but using a bit of common sense we can surely agree they aren't UFO's or aliens?

I do not want to start a 'fight' here over the internet... but I just want to comment that I find your 'tone' and language offensive, arrogant and condescending with little base to stand on.

UFO = unidentified FLYING object. This is displayed throughout many works and continues to be. Depictions differ between artists and perceptions. There is a huge difference between believing everything you see or hear and being skeptical and logical.

I really just wanted to confront you right here, because i have seen your posts before (similar) ... and wanted to just let you know...

AMAZING close-shot of that painting, DAVESPANNERS... thank you. I have seen that picture many times, however never so close with such precision. I'm blown away that there are clear 'angels' forming that 'burning bush' or whatever it is flying up there in the sky... (unidentified)

Yep... I guess the Vatican, Michio Kaku, Steven Hawking, Buzz Aldrin, Verner Von Braun... etc... I guess none of those people had any "Common sense"

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
It is angelic hosts, the only way they knew how to paint them. Look at the close up, its not a craft.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Some seem to think, that is the virgin mary the light is touching..giving her jesus's baby somehow. thats with UFO conspiracists. I sa it recently saw it ona historay channel documentary about UFO's. They talked about other paintings done in the midevil times as well.Neuremburg germnay.i forget the date wa like 14 something it hink. as the sun rose, the villagers wtinessed many crosses, lights, balls, cigar shaped objects bouncing off eachother, fighting with eachother, and one of them suposedly crashed! youde think one of the town villagers would have taken it, some of it back home or something, investigated...but thiers no reports that was ever done,.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Thats not an ufo, thats clouds and the sky being forced aside by the god ray. Not saying there might not be depictions out there for what people thought they saw that looks similiar to our sightings, but that aint it.

I find it far more interesting, that there are ruins of citys, which show signs of the use of nuclear weapons thousands of years ago, along with corresponding contemporary tales describing with eerily accuracy the detonation and subsequent fallout.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
It is angelic hosts,

Angelic hosts are not of this Earth hence they are true ET's

Couple of my favorites...

Madonna col Bambino e San Giovannino, Date. 1400s

Detail

"Adoration of the Child with St. Benedict and Angels" (c 1480)
Vincenzo Foppa
(ca.1430-1515)

Detail

"Battesimo di Cristo" 1710
Aert De Gelder
(1645-1727)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
"Tenture de la Vie de la Vierge"
Unknown Artist
(1330)
Notre-Dame

Detail

"Glorification of the Eucharist"
Bonaventura Salimbeni
17th century Italian Baroque Church of San Lorenzo in San Pietro

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
So, if you think this is a depiction of a UFO, then what is the theory exactly? That the artist was handed down some sort of oral history that described the appearance of a UFO, which was connected in some way with the annunciation of Mary? Or maybe he saw a UFO himself and decided to work it into his painting? Notice how the whole scene depicts Mary as if she were a medieval european woman... this is not a literal photograph of a moment in history.

Maybe if you had some interest or background in art history, you would develop an understanding of the iconography and religious imagery and traditions that surrounds religious art in europe...

Remember that the annunciation was when God supposedly tells Mary that she's been divinely impregnated- the "virgin conception." If you were to paint this scene, as a pre-renaissance artist, you would obviously include some concrete depiction of the divine reaching down to earth, especially using the dove which is representative of the Holy Spirit.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
They talked about other paintings done in the midevil times as well.Neuremburg germnay.i forget the date wa like 14 something it hink. as the sun rose, the villagers wtinessed many crosses, lights, balls, cigar shaped objects bouncing off each other, fighting with each other, and one of them suposedly crashed!

That would be this one...

EUROPE
Nuremberg, Germany 1561

A very good case considering many eyewitnesses also gave a description of these objects. They were probably to afraid to go investigate back then

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
That would be this one...

EUROPE
Nuremberg, Germany 1561

A very good case considering many eyewitnesses also gave a description of these objects. They were probably to afraid to go investigate back then

Now this is a painting that actually claims to depict literal areal phenomena that were observed at some point in time. Unlike the religious paintings, this is not supposed to be symbolic, but an actual depiction of UFO phenomena, and therefore I regard it more highly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join