It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recording program?'s

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

Well thanks for listening, sorry it scared you. I'm always trying to get darker and heavier with every new song =D.

No, I am not a satanist.

I grew up with a string instrument backround since I was a little guy, and have always had a penchant for the "heavier stuff" in minor keys. None of that happy crap for me. Give me Paganini, or Liszt.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

What is BBE?

I don't use a keyboard to control bass, but I do program it on a midi track. I use a virtual bass instrument called "4 front".

I find it easier (read less time consuming) to play the actual instrument, but if I don't have an instrument, I'm more than willing to program.

edit on 11-1-2011 by sixswornsermon because: ..

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sixswornsermon

Oh just razz'n ya I grew up with some heavy stuff, played in many metal bands. Did a lot of early Scorps, Maiden, Priest, Crue, early Metallica, Sabbath, UFO, Etc.....

The BBE sonic maximizer is a somewhat of a mystery effect. It basicly realigns EQ frequencies and can gives you a more open sound. It's kinda like turning a eq on and off. It works well to also rejuvinate loss signal, when I ran two JCM 800's in stereo and a large rack I put it last in line and the difference was HUGE. It's also great for mix down and livening up tracks once you learn how to use, you won't do without it, I guarantee. Anyway, I have used the rack version and now I bought the plug in but I haven't used it yet, this %#$& Cubase is killing me.

There is a demo of the plug in, bottom of page on first link
2nd link will explain how it works a lot better than I can. It has a lot of different applications, the people that don't like them are not using them correctly usually, the people that figure them out( it's not rocket science) don't go with out it. Are you micing an amp or running Guitar Rig or Amplitude or?

www.bbesound.com...
www.bbesound.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Lol I don't take it personally. It's kewl to see some of your earlier influences.

Honestly, my setup is not that neato.

I run a cheap Ibanez guitar through a Digitech ValveFx rack unit , which is stereo, directly into the sound card. I run distortion, eq, reverb, noise gate, and a little compression on the rack unit, and then only eq on the individual tracks. No effects or eq on master bus. I keep the master output at -10.00, and shoot for peaks or the entire mix at -5.00. I add soft knee compression and a little eq for the low end. Then finally gain to get that "loud" sound, but within reason.

I have used amplitube for other projects, and it's fun to play with, but eats too many resources for my tastes. Also, I really love the Valve's sound, although it is an ancient piece of hardware.

Are you having problems utilising the plugin you bought? Or just dialing it in? Seems like from what you described, it would be perfect to make a group for the guitars, then add it to the master for that group. Or , if you want to conserve resources, use off line processing just on the individual guitar tracks.

At what step are you having the problem?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

"At what step are you having the problem"
All of them! I thought I had some of it figured out. I'm running guitar direct into RP500 using the amp modeling and prossesing in the pedal usb into cubase. When I first got it I was showing singnal levels but could not get monitor sound thru comp speakers, tried a few different driver configs and in and output configs but could get no monitor but I do get monitor running head phones into the RP. So........after trying to figure that out for few days I put it away for a couple weeks. Tried it again and was still having driver issues, updated drivers but.....nothing. My comp's fairly decent and quick so I don't think it's the problem. Put it away again for a few days but now it's not recognizing the RP properly so yeah arrgh. I registered all the cubase stuff (there's a process) and I'm pretty sure I downloaded the latest updates for the LE4. I think I may reinstall and start a new, there was some point in the manual that seemed to leave out a step in the directions for set up with XP.and I couldn't get past that. I've been to the Steinberg forum and I think I can find the answer there but I just got frustrated with it, but I'm not a quiter so I'll give her another shot. I'm sure it's something very simple but it has not been a plug and play nor did I expect it to be but geeeeeeez. I'm also not seeing the BBE in the VST list and Addictive Drums I found once but I can't find it now. Would AD and the BBE be listed in the VST window? Also how do I config drivers, because my comp already had a basic recording program with it's drivers and the RP has it's own drivers...does Cubase also have it's own drivers and should I have to be changing the driver config to hear monitor and playback? And would the BUS and chnl assignment need to change for record monitor and playback? It could also be in my output config of my RP too. I'm going#$%& nuts with this thing and I know it can't be that hard. So........how much is Alberton lol? I wish I had a MAC I've heard their programs are much more user friendly than a PC. Sorry for the long winded post but that's whats up, I'm going nuts with it.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Just a thought the way your running your eq parameters, and slight comp and bummping the bass and gain on record. You may like the BBE cause it allows you to dial in certain harmonics and liven and open up your low, mid or hi freq's for the punch you want but without squashing your compression to tight.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

"I'm running guitar direct into RP500 using the amp modeling and prossesing in the pedal usb into cubase. When I first got it I was showing singnal levels but could not get monitor sound thru comp speakers"

I had the same problem running signal through a usb mixer into the comp. I gave up, and ran mono cable directly to the sound card. What sound card are your using?

"I'm also not seeing the BBE in the VST list and Addictive Drums I found once but I can't find it now. Would AD and the BBE be listed in the VST window?"

Hit f 11 to bring up the vst window. Then select the vst you want to load. Addictive drums probably had an installation program, so it would put the vst in the right place when you installed it. For zipped vst files, extract the file to c:\program files\steinberg\vstplugins. Then they will appear in the f11 window.

" Also how do I config drivers, because my comp already had a basic recording program with it's drivers and the RP has it's own drivers...does Cubase also have it's own drivers and should I have to be changing the driver config to hear monitor and playback?"

Hmmm. Again, I need to know what sound card you are using. Did you buy a sound card / Cubase bundle? Or are you just trying to use the default sound card in your computer? This link shows the area you would change out or configure drivers for recording and playback:

linky

Of course the specifics are different, but that is where those settings are within Cubase.

" And would the BUS and chnl assignment need to change for record monitor and playback? It could also be in my output config of my RP too. I'm going#$%& nuts with this thing and I know it can't be that hard"

The last part of you statement is on the money. It's not that hard. It could be that an onboard sound card does not support simultaneous playback and recording.

I feel your pain brother!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Im definitely going to play with it!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Thnx for the info and help six!
Driver is creative SB X-Fi also Legacy was listed..I can't axcess RP drivers without pedal connected(not sure why?) will get pedal tomorrow and check drivers.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

This page indicates that your model is compatible with Cubase.

BTW, you are not the only person w/ this problem - FUN!!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by sixswornsermon
BTW, you are not the only person w/ this problem - FUN!!

Yeah, so I've read and finding out, may hit it again this weekend. I know it's compatible as the RP came with the LE4, but they sure don't make it easy. 20+ yrs ago I used to run a lrg rack w/programmable effects and a RFC-1 programmable midi pedal, it was fairly easy to learn. I got out of the music biz for a number of yrs and assumed things had got more user friendly...NOT. I'm thinking the learning curve is steeper with some DAW's more so than others but from what I've read they all have their nuances. I wish I still had my Allen & Heath analog board.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I've seen some of the evolution.

From 8 track tape, to reel to reel, to DAT, to digital. DAW makes it a lot easier IMO.

You should try to make an adapter for your output on the RP500 to the line in on the card. I was never able to make a USB connection work properly. I spent way too much time trying to figure it out, and the recording I got (which I couldnt monitor out of Cubase) had a lot of latency.

I still think your best bet is to get another card.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

So you are no stranger to the biz and recording I take it.

Do you have any of your projects online??

I would like to see what you do!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Cubase can be daunting but well worth the effort.I'm not up on the latest version.
maybe try a few tutorials or get on a forum with like minded people.

I can understand you wanting a mac as there great for helpin ya produce the goods.
i waitin on me aunt to "donate" her's to me LOL THEN I hope to get back at it.

Been a while since i dabbled and i never liked PC based software apart from cubase
you cant really beat individual hardware modules, mixing desk,Akia S5000,Nice MIDI Keyboard.
etc.Expensive but so worth it,and this stuff always sells on well.
Depends on what genre of music your producing also.

Drum & Base was what I was into & I still love it.

edit on 14/1/2011 by stealthyaroura because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I don't think nothing online, I have a few demo cassettes stashed in my garage and a couple of 24 track tape reels that are not 100% complete, not sure how to transfer that to comp. There is a mini ep that one of my old bands did but I didn't play guitar on it, I did sing backups on it, but I left the band before they recorded that album, singer had a small (huge) coc aine prob, three of us quit the band the same night. The kicker is I wrote the music to three of the five song and never got credit for it, I had no publishing rights to it (live and learn) not that it mattered, they never made the big time. I did play about every venue on the strip in LA and then some, so not all was a total loss, had a little to much fun, no regrets. Are you in a band? If not or if so, if I can get this recording crap down maybe we could collaborate on something. I don't mind the darkside every once in awhile and I wouldn't ask you to play "Amazing Grace" so you never know.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by stealthyaroura

Wha t Kind of stuff are you doing?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

What version of Cube are you using?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

NOTHING! I been out of the trade for going on 10 years.
just washed out you could say.
Was a successful DJ played clubs all over the UK an abroad
Done loads of pirate radio,Hung around people producing D & B tracks
had some hardware, mixing desk akia S2000 Roland weighted digital Keyboard.

just had a real bad day one day and just walked away.Bit more to it but ya don't wanna know.
personal stuff. I still know my way round a lot of the kit, but so much more software now.

Been thinkin of getting back into the swing of things but stuff has
moved on so much,take cubase it's in it's 5th generation now i think
and i have not kept my hand in.

But i still remember how to put a nice studio together.

Hope ya get ya head round cubase cos it is like the industry standard.
Maybe i will get some inspiration and get back to what i once loved.MUSIC.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Using Cubase SX. Not too many differences from LE except for the ability to have unlimited tracks (until your computer falls to it's knees), and a lot more VST instruments open , although I'm not sure how many is the limit.

Dude, I am the band. I gave up on waiting for other people to make decisions, drop drug habits, drop lame girlfriends, ego problems, etc, a long time ago. It would be nice to be in a band, but then again, not really. In my last band, after getting fed up with losing drummers, ego stroking guitarists, stupid singers, I decided to focus on recording. It's more worthwhile for me, and I don't have to depend upon other people.

I'm doing what I do for me, but I figure that if I ever do make something that people want to hear live, I will hire / find musicians to play. I can choose either guitar, bass , or vocals. After all, I did everything anyway!

I would love to collaborate. I like taking on different challenges /styles. I've been working with my neighbor who sings and plays church folk music. I helped her record 5 songs, played some guitar, did some vocals, did some bass, and some violin for her. Not mention, engineered mixed and mastered, and set her up with an online presence. Talk about a major difference in styles hahaha! I also worked with another guy who was doing blues type stuff until he pissed me off. So yah, I'm down. Not sure of the logistics, but perhaps you make a project file, mail it to me, I work on it, then mail it back etc. Have to figure it out.

That's rad you got to play some big venues. Every band I was in was a baby band for one reason or another.

There are ways to get your analog stuff on to digital!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Where'd you go MTNSHREDDER????

There are online communities for musical collaboration:

CLICK!

For those who are not comfortable divulging their address on the internet!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join