It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recording program?'s

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Looking for something a bit more user friendly than Cubase LE4 ( that's making me somewhat insane). I know there's a lot of recording sites but thought I'd throw it out here also. Have Addictive Drums, Digitech RP500 for guitar interface w/PC. Would love to have a MAC for the music programs but no $$$ right now to convert over. Protools I know is popular, looking for something fairly simple but good, so...............what are you all using or recomend?

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
If you know someone who has a spare license for Reason5 then go for that. Cheap option is buy a copy of Computer Music, there are some decent programs on there.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

Ableton live is the best program I've found for recording. You can either record live with loops or you can record traditionally linear style.

Plug your guitar up and record live loops in ableton and you'll be hooked. I got my copy for like 300 bucks on ebay. But they do offfer a free fully working 30 day trial.

Try it out.

ableton.com...

Here's some vids.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
That sucks you are having a bad time with Cubase. I use Cubase SX, and find it to be very user friendly.

If you use Linux, you could try out Rosegarden:

www.rosegardenmusic.com...

I have used it with success with Debian, but I prefer Cubase in windows. Mostly because Wavelab is better for mastering IMO than Audacity.

If you like metal , check out my signature. I have about 11 songs up at the moment.

My tools:

Cubase SX for recording
Wavelab for mastering
Digitech Valve FX for guitars and vocals and wierd sounds
Various free VST plugins for ambience and bass
Drumkit from hell 2 for drums

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sixswornsermon

I'm probably Cubase's biggest problem LOL. Maybe I'll try again, I've heard good things about it, some things I'm just not getting. I came from an analog era, so this is all kinda new to me, it gets frustrating at times. I have a Korg SOS recorder I'm also learning and would like to drop the WAV files into the DAW. I have some homework to do, Cubase has a lot of capabilities, past my comprehension right now anyway.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mtnshredder
Looking for something a bit more user friendly than Cubase LE4

Saw the title and actually came in to suggest Cubase...

I've never used LE but believe it's a cut version of full cubase. I swear by cubase, but it took me 2 years to fully understand it, and I'm still learning now, after 4 years. The learning curve is very steep but it's worth it, I still use the SX 2 version, as the usb key was cheap second hand for that.

Logic has a lower learning curve and is good for recording live instruments and bands, I've only dabbled in this, but it's the choice of many guitarists. I produce electro music, grime, r&b etc myself and love the full control cubase offers... It's worth learning, I felt like I was getting nowhere for ages, but I got there - I've had a few professional releases over the last 2 years and am continuing to develop my producing.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I use Mixcraft V2. Very user friendly and quite simple. The built-in effects are pretty cheap sounding, but you can load any vst effects into it.

There's a 1 week trial here. www.acoustica.com...

Don't download version 5 or 3, they're not as good. It's under "Additional Downloads" on the right.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Keep at it man. It will be well worth it. Cubase is very powerful, and once you get used to it's conventions, will become very easy for you.

The only downside to LE is the limited amount of VST, and track count (for those of us who really overdo it =D).

Edit to add:

Oh yah.If you have any general questions, I would be glad to see if I could assist in clarifying any issues you may be having.

edit on 3-1-2011 by sixswornsermon because: addition to original policy.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Yes cubase is pretty awesome, but as stated above once I found Ableton, I threw cubase to the curb. Ableton is almost like an instrument in itself.

Still have my copy of cubase sx and use it now and again.

Have you tried ableton? what do you think?
edit on 3-1-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

No I have not. Cubase suits all my current needs.

Unless........

What are some of the benefits? I'll probably check it out later.

You made me curious!

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Me neither, I've got to the point where I know cubase inside out

Once you learn it, you can make whatever you want as easy as an artist picking up a brush, and its so powerful

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I guess the benifits are speed and the ability to jam with yourself on the fly. The warping feature is awesome too. If you beat is off you can just drag the wavform on time. If you're into remixing, just drag the whole track in and ableton automatically puts it in time with the rest of your track (if its off its pretty easy to correct) You can also raise and lower the tempo of your entire song without effecting the pitch.

Ableton can be used like cubase or protools and does a great job, but the real power is in the "session view" where you can throw together a song as you go. This is what makes it different from any program out there.

Just try it. It might not be for you, but its my duty to pass on my happiness. lol

I was a cubase snob and my brother insisted that I try ableton.

edit on 3-1-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Interesting. I'm not sure how it would benefit what i do, but I think I will download a trial and check it out.

Always good to have more tools!

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I know a lot of live performers use albeton - the thing is it's after investing a LOT of time into cubase, I'm not really willing to put that much of a slice of my life into something else. I'm not a student anymore, and I honestly wouldn't have the time to start again.

In terms of remixing, whenever I'm commissioned to remix a track, I normally go for the take an acapella and build from the ground up route, and find it educational to brief a part that I like, for cannon fodder for my own work to be honest.

The next step from any daw is protools, and I'd like to go for that next, but I've made a "mastering engine" based around a blank project to pull in track bounces and the izotope ozone over a few groups, so there's no urgency for that either.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by sixswornsermon

edit on 3-1-2011 by sixswornsermon because: addition to original policy.

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it, if ya don't mind. Driver configuration, montoring, etc is where starts going south on me.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I will do my best.

I certainly do not claim to be all knowing, but if I can help you, I will!

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by rufusthestuntbum

I know a lot of live performers use albeton - the thing is it's after investing a LOT of time into cubase, I'm not really willing to put that much of a slice of my life into something else. I'm not a student anymore, and I honestly wouldn't have the time to start again.

In terms of remixing, whenever I'm commissioned to remix a track, I normally go for the take an acapella and build from the ground up route, and find it educational to brief a part that I like, for cannon fodder for my own work to be honest.

The next step from any daw is protools, and I'd like to go for that next, but I've made a "mastering engine" based around a blank project to pull in track bounces and the izotope ozone over a few groups, so there's no urgency for that either.

I hear ya, I love izotope ozone.

To each his own. I swore by cubase till stumbled upon ableton. I went down to New Orleans this christmas and brought my portable studio down just to show my other brother ableton. Within 10 minutes of jamming on guitar he was sold. (he's more of a pro tools type). Like I said Ableton is just a different way of creating music all together. It gives you the linear approach if you want it, but the session view gives you a more circular view of making music. I dont know hard to explain.

P.S. its very very easy to use, and the interface is very simple. If you know Cubase, Ableton is like kindergarten lol.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Really? Is it pretty easy to pick up?

Definitely something I'm going to look at getting hold of then. Thanks

Yep the isotope ozone, I love how you can bounce a track and that seems to add so much gloss to the sound, it sounds like someone like redone made it. LOVE IT!

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rufusthestuntbum

Yeah its simple. To apply effects to a track its simply drag and drop (lots more effects than cubase).

Editing features are pretty much the same.

What kinda music you make? got a link? I'd love to hear.

Mike

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Hey Six, Do you think you can get a little darker, your songs scare me lol.
Every time I'm about to dump Cube, I hear people talking good about it. I'm not sure I have the tolerance for it, but I'll keep a trying. Having trouble with Addictive Drums and The BBE showing up in Cube. I know it's something simple I'm missing
I live in the mtns so not much personal help from around here, If I was back in LA I'm sure I'd have it going by now. I'll work on it again tomorrow, can't be this hard can it?
I'm curious if any of you use midi/keyboard controlled bass or if I'm better off getting a bass and maybe running thru my RP500 as an interface or buying a specific interface? I'm just trying to lay down work tracks for now, nothing has to be to perfect just yet. I've been using this www.korg.com..., but I' want to learn the DAW stuff, for the much extra cappabilities.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join