It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More indications of a silver price rise

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ADUB77

Speculation is dangerous. The best approach is to buy a certain amount every month or so regardless of what the price is. That is called dollar averaging. In a downturning market you can buy increasingly more.quantity as the price goes lower. Regardless, silver is used a lot in commerce (unlike gold) and is in short supply. Long term I just buy and hold.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by romanmel

My overriding concern is that the reason for the increase in metal prices is because of speculation and not actual scarcity. I remember well the Hunt Bros. back in the early 80s. A lot of people ate the big one back then.

I understand. I worked for a large coin dealer at the time. This is much different now. Back then it was all at the hands of two rich guys who ran out of money and credit. Today it is several forces all converging with a positive force...price kept low by manipulators, usage outstripping suppy for over ten years and ever increasing demand.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by adigregorio

Anyway, you guys keep stocking up on the rocks and metals. I will be worried about food and water.

Well I am stocked on food and water to last well over a year, my garage is full of rocks and I was just about to dump all my Gold this month... I guess I will hang on to the silver for a while now

But one thing to stock for barter... liquor You can always trade that when the SHTF
and it doesn't spoil

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

liquor You can always trade that when the SHTF and it doesn't spoil

Well, not exactly spoil, but you do have to account for the "sip of the angels". Liquor isn't practical beyond a certain point, even sealed bottles admit enough oxygen exchange to make a twenty year old bottle very watery.

But short-term, ten years or less, great barter item!

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
You don't "make" money on either silver or gold, and you never "lose" money or silver or gold, regardless of the price fluctuations up or down.

The sale value of the silver or gold simply reflect the value of the currency at the time.

I buy silver often, and am very sensitive to the rise in price, and it's getting higher and higher.

As is copper. Palladium.

In coin form, silver is going to be the easiest medium of exchange.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by FarArcher
You don't "make" money on either silver or gold, and you never "lose" money or silver or gold, regardless of the price fluctuations up or down.

The sale value of the silver or gold simply reflect the value of the currency at the time.

I buy silver often, and am very sensitive to the rise in price, and it's getting higher and higher.

As is copper. Palladium.

I agree.

If you are buying for survival barter, the matter of "making a profit" on your Silver is of no concern. Since you are comparing Silver to paper when you talk "profit" you need to exchange something precious for something worthless Why would you want to do this?

I also agree that in the US it would be wise to keep the silver in the form of pre-1965 US dimes, quarters and halves as it is recognized by most people here and provides a useful variety of value. For instance: If you are wanting to barter with someone to purchase a loaf of bread, how do you do that with a one ounce gold coin? It would be so much easier to just offer a silver dime.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by adigregorio

Anyway, you guys keep stocking up on the rocks and metals. I will be worried about food and water.

Well I am stocked on food and water to last well over a year, my garage is full of rocks and I was just about to dump all my Gold this month... I guess I will hang on to the silver for a while now

But one thing to stock for barter... liquor You can always trade that when the SHTF
and it doesn't spoil

Zorgon, you are a wise man to stock a years supply of food & water (I have done this as well)...not so sure about the garage full of rocks though.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I've been buying silver for a while now. Most of my friends are gold bugs. I've been trying to interest them in silver, but they were reluctant until Bloomberg released the fourth quarter numbers for gold and silver. Gold increased by eight percent, silver increased by forty one percent. I go by my gut feelings, my gut told me to buy silver this year. And my gut was right. I also have a six month supply of freeze dried food and a six month supply of water. I can use the silver to buy necessities when I run out.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JR MacBeth
reply to post by zorgon

liquor You can always trade that when the SHTF and it doesn't spoil

Well, not exactly spoil, but you do have to account for the "sip of the angels". Liquor isn't practical beyond a certain point, even sealed bottles admit enough oxygen exchange to make a twenty year old bottle very watery.

But short-term, ten years or less, great barter item!

sip of the angels?
That adds to the taste!
The longer the better it tastes man!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by romanmel

As is copper. Palladium.

I agree.

If you are buying for survival barter, the matter of "making a profit" on your Silver is of no concern. Since you are comparing Silver to paper when you talk "profit" you need to exchange something precious for something worthless Why would you want to do this?

I also agree that in the US it would be wise to keep the silver in the form of pre-1965 US dimes, quarters and halves as it is recognized by most people here and provides a useful variety of value. For instance: If you are wanting to barter with someone to purchase a loaf of bread, how do you do that with a one ounce gold coin? It would be so much easier to just offer a silver dime.

That's easy, you cut the thing in half or get a metal/silversmith to re-cast your melted silver and weigh it into more manageable coins

Before people say 'But there won't be...'
I can assure you if people are bartering a system will form around a precious metal infrastructure to support this.
It's only because of fiat currency we don't see this.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

Why make them into bars? They would be worth exactly the same. Actually as Silver dollars they may be worth more depending on the year. They will have more value as a coin.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

the reason you get them made into bars is you pay less for fabrication for the bar and as someone said it's not hard to melt them down to make coins and who is to say what size the coin will be it will differ on price before a monetary collapse.I'll be seeing my financial adviser later this week to get 37k of silver bars thats about 12 bars at todays price and organise storage somehow can't have it at a bank due to if the shtf the bank wont be open and if i store it at the mint who's to say the government won't organise an order to sieze what ever is stored by investors. Need to think ahead and not be cut out people may have physical silver but where are you storing it you may just be handing straight back without even truley knowing it.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by alonzo730

You have a balanced, well thought out plan.
Nurture that "gut feeling". It has served you well.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider

Originally posted by romanmel

As is copper. Palladium.

I agree.

...Before people say 'But there won't be...'
I can assure you if people are bartering a system will form around a precious metal infrastructure to support this.

You are indeed correct. A bartering system will develop.
A good project for each of us would be to determine how best to prepare...a game plan, so to speak.
Nothing comes easy

edit on 2-1-2011 by romanmel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

I've been buying silver jewelry well below spot on eBay for years. I stopped recently because too many people have caught on and because of the dramatic price rise. I think my husband would kill me if he found out how much I had. At least until he realized how little I paid for it

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

I love silver but will probably sit on what we have. We used to buy a good mix of metals but the last couple of years it's been simply silver. We took out our last major position in July with my 401k money (with a 75% return).

APMEX sends us popcorn at Christmas but next year we will probably get nothing from them, lol. We will be building our bunker this year

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by fockewulf190

This is a good video but nothing we don't already know. "Melt Up", the video from the NIA is probably more powerful. Still, this is a good short one to send friends and relatives who have not yet taken advantage of this marvelous investment.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by GirlGenius

I love silver but will probably sit on what we have. We used to buy a good mix of metals but the last couple of years it's been simply silver. We took out our last major position in July with my 401k money (with a 75% return).

APMEX sends us popcorn at Christmas but next year we will probably get nothing from them, lol. We will be building our bunker this year

I understand what "sit on what we have" means. I have been sitting on some of my silver for over 30 years...no regrets. Like I've said, I only bought it as a barter item, not an investment.

Good luck on the "bunker". I have been looking for a "get away" property for some time. Hope to decide on one this year.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

This is an important point. Too often I see people commenting about how you can't eat your precious metals, and they miss this point. If they thought it through, just past an immediate crisis, what would things look like?

Bartering must naturally emerge in the absence of a mutually respected medium of exchange. But people will not have to barter very long, before they get very tired of it's huge inefficiency. A medium of exchange will naturally present itself again, and it will be exactly what everyone agrees has value. Historically, this has been precious metals.

I also agree with those posting who advocate small silver coins. Yes, absolutely. Buying 90% old silver US coins is a good way to go. They can be purchased at "melt", rarely a premium, and you already have the benefit of useful fractionalization.

JR

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I can't help but come to the conclusion that this was a planned leak of the commodity editing of the CFTC. Keep an eye on it, but I seriously doubt anything will happen to JP Morgan or the other tools in the CFTC bag.

It has been said for years that this was a planned crash of the dollar, orchestrated from the top down. No other reason could contribute to the rash of bad decision making with monetary policies, deficit spending, and inflated governmental assets. Some senators have went from a 2 million net worth to 20 million within their term. It isn't hard to see who's feasting at the table.

Just as the price of silver goes up to crash the dollar, silver will also take that kamikaze dive into the oblivion after the job's done. Although, I don't have a "news article" to provide you, it seems completely evident to me that the price of silver is being edited both ways. There's nothing "natural" about the current price of silver at all.
edit on 2-1-2011 by CodeRed3D because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join