It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death penalty with no due process

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Man shot dead by police after attempting to run over cop was the headline of the story.

Police became aware of a traffic crash that happened in the 800 block of East 79th Street and attempted to curb a car witnesses sad was involved in the accident, according to a police statement.

The man’s vehicle was stopped at a nearby gas station and when officers attempted to order him out of the vehicle, he instead began moving his vehicle in an attempt to hit one of the officers, the statement said.

The officer was placed “in fear of his life” and discharged his weapon, fatally wounding the man, the statement said.

Now I understand you should obey the police and you will avoid a lot of trouble, both legal and physical. But something here doesn't add up.

This man supposedly tried to run over the cop with his car, but I have a feeling after reading the story that he was not trying to run over and kill the cop, just leave. The thing that doesn't make sense is being in fear for your life, and pulling out a gun and killing someone. In a situation where you are being robbed, I can see that. But in this situation? If you're about to get run over you MOVE OUT OF THE WAY, not shoot.

I hope there is video evidence of this alleged attempt to run over a police officer, and whether there is or not, this police officer needs to go on trial for murder.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.
edit on 1/1/2011 by Mirthful Me because: EX Tags.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
It happens all the time...
Don't try to hit a LEO, don't get shot.
Crap happens, people die, sometimes rightfully.

EDIT: The name of this thread is misleading. I thought FEMA was starting to deport "terrorists" to death camps.
edit on 1-1-2011 by Aquarist because: Correction

2nd Edit: And using that logic, should a father protecting his family from an armed buglar be prosecuted for shooting him? Should a police officer be arrested for shooting first, if the suspect is armed and points the weapon at him? After all, a vehicle can be used as a weapon.
edit on 1-1-2011 by Aquarist because: Point

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Sounds to me like a rather routine weapons discharge op by a LEO. SOunds completely justified IMHO. Not all cops are murderous thigs.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Incidents like these are becoming more and more common. I suppose this is whats meant by a police state.

I cant help but to wonder how many of these cops are returning vets. In Iraq, Afghanistan, its kill first ask questions later. A lot of cops seem to have a general disdain for the average citizen, not sure why.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarist
It happens all the time...
Don't try to hit a LEO, don't get shot.
Crap happens, people die, sometimes rightfully.

I understand that. But if an officer is asking you to get out of your car, he must be close. If he's close, how can you hit him with an amount of speed that makes him 'fear for his life'?

EDIT: The name of this thread is misleading. I thought FEMA was starting to deport "terrorists" to death camps.
edit on 1-1-2011 by Aquarist because: Correction

The thread name has nothing to do with terrorists or FEMA or death camps... just a death sentence carried out without due process... but I see how you could have thought that with all the threads on ATS.

2nd Edit: And using that logic, should a father protecting his family from an armed buglar be prosecuted for shooting him? Should a police officer be arrested for shooting first, if the suspect is armed and points the weapon at him? After all, a vehicle can be used as a weapon.
edit on 1-1-2011 by Aquarist because: Point

Yes, a father should be prosecuted, and if he is in the right he will be found to be. That happens all the time. A father shooting someone in his house does go to jail, he doesn't just get to stay in a motel while the police clean up the crime scene. A police officer should be held to the same standards a citizen is - that is how you prevent corruption by power.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere
Incidents like these are becoming more and more common. I suppose this is whats meant by a police state.

I cant help but to wonder how many of these cops are returning vets. In Iraq, Afghanistan, its kill first ask questions later. A lot of cops seem to have a general disdain for the average citizen, not sure why.

They are becoming more common, and that is why it is important we start questioning them and holding officers accountable for their actions. Most people would read this story and think, "Well the guy shouldn't have tried to run the officer over!" I read the story and say, "Someone died? That calls for an investigation. I want PROOF this person tried to run the police officer over and that killing him was the only option the officer had to safe his own life."

edit on 1-1-2011 by againuntodust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I am no big fan of cops, that's common knowledge on here. However if he's willing to run over a police3 officer to escape, what else will he do....you know, to innocent bystanders? I'd have shot his criminal butt too.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

An officer can very well be in front of his vehicle, gun drawn, telling the suspect to step out of a vehicle. If you are a foot in front of a vehicle, and that vehicle is floored, you have no way of escaping.
Not to say a father SHOULD have been prosecuted. I said "should", not "a father is not prosecuted".

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Way to figure out how to slam our troops in a thread having nothing to do with them. If you have to stray off topic just to display you craven opinion, maybe nother thread would be better for you. After all plenty of cowardly liberal back slapping star and flag threads doing that at any given moment. This is about a criminal trying to run over a cop and gtting shot.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Let's keep this simple.

Do NOT irritate folks who are known to carry guns.

Don't try to run them over.

Don't try to shoot them.

Don't try to take their guns.

Don't ignore their instructions.

I guarantee you, follow those rules and your odds of getting shot by a law enforcement officer drop dramatically.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
reply to post by gladtobehere

Way to figure out how to slam our troops in a thread having nothing to do with them. If you have to stray off topic just to display you craven opinion, maybe nother thread would be better for you. After all plenty of cowardly liberal back slapping star and flag threads doing that at any given moment. This is about a criminal trying to run over a cop and gtting shot.

Its not uncommon that ex-military go into law enforcement. I think its relevant to examine the backgrounds of these officers to see if there may be a correlation between the increased frequency of these incidents and whether or not these cops are former military having served in countries where they are trained to view people as sub humans.

This is about a man killing another man. A cop has never been convicted of committing a crime? Even heinous crimes? Seriously?
edit on 2-1-2011 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust
They are becoming more common, and that is why it is important we start questioning them and holding officers accountable for their actions. Most people would read this story and think, "Well the guy shouldn't have tried to run the officer over!" I read the story and say, "Someone died? That calls for an investigation. I want PROOF this person tried to run the police officer over and that killing him was the only option the officer had to safe his own life."

Very well said, but you have to understand. The forum members who automatically side with the police, the state, the establishment etc. are often times the same ones who deny that our government is capable of any wrong doing.

Which leads me to wonder why they are on a site like ATS in the first place.

Now , I'm not saying that the cop is at fault but to believe his version of events simply because he is a cop, is ridiculous. Stop treating this story as though a cop's actions are Gospel.

Maybe we should start a thread documenting crimes committed by cops. It looks like there's a large segment of forum members who are in need of an awakening.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I have often pondered what I would do if I felt that the police were going to kill me,and all I had as a weapon to defend myself was the vehicle I was driving....

Too many fail to even consider this possibility of being in fear for their very lives from gun-toting,roid raging cops who are fresh back from Iraq,which many are....

I would probably not hesitate to defend myself from anyone who I was sure would kill me it I did not,including cops.

One only has one thing to lose,and it is the only thing one has.

When it's down to the wire,and your failing to react will get you killed,react.

Nothing but your life to lose.

Cops need to be held accountable for their actions,they chose their jobs,and the risks which come with it.

Anyone who would side with these murderous thugs either lives in a dreamworld,or is retarded.

THEY ARE ALMOST NEVER THERE TO HELP YOU.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by FarArcher

The sheople say.....

"Don't point fingers at those who would respond by breaking the finger"

It is no wonder how we end up in this situation.

new topics

top topics

join