It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need a Symbologist's opinion... Circle, Square, Triangle Symbol

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I have been using the symbol [in the link below] as branding for my Art Work for years. In all honesty, I have been drawing the damn thing since I was 13.

I have been searching for past uses of the symbol, but have had very little success. I found it once in an old Masonic book but have never seen it anywhere else.

It is a very basic symbol. It is composed of a Quartered Circle, a Square [tilted 90°], and an inverted Triangle.

To me it represents many things:

• The three primary colors. Red, Yellow, Blue
• The three primary notes that form the Major Chord: Tonic, Major Third, Perfect Fifth
• The Third Dimension
• The Holy Trinity
• Mind, Body, and Soul

... just to name a few.

As you can see, the symbol is very basic in concept, but can "represent" a number of beliefs.

So my question to everyone is;
Has anyone seen this symbol before? If so, in what way and with what civilization?

Any help is appreciated, thank you all.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Alchemy
4-5 Elements
Zodiac

I see all three in there. Never seen anybody put them all together in one though.
Nice artwork.

Kabbalah?
edit on 1-1-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Symbology isn't real. Dan Brown made it up.

However, I do know a bit about symbols. The Eye in the Triangle is known as a masonic symbol, but can be traced to ancient Egypt, and to Buddhist myth, and was used in the Middle Ages as a symbol of the Christian Trinity. It appears that a variant on the Masonic compass and square surrounds the Eye. This is within a stylized sun, resembling those seen in Medieval illuminations, and on the crown of the Roman Sol Invictus (meaning, if my Latin is correct, the Conquering Sun). On the four sides, there are Greek inscriptions that I can't read. On the outer edges, the four classical elements (Anima, or vital force, earth, water, and and one I cannot identify) are written. The composition of the whole makes me think of Alchemy and European mysticism from the pre-Elizabethan era.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Hey Slayer89,

That Alchemy Symbol has been around for a very long time. I too was shocked several years ago when I discovered just how old some people believe this symbol is. There are many who believe that symbol is over twenty thousand years old... Academia declares its only 7 to 8 thousand years old. A few years ago I would’ve argued towards the later... however after discovering Dec 3, 2012 planetary convergence and how it matches the pyramid layout of Giza, plus other discoveries… that over twenty thousand year old "legend" starts to make sense/add up. Either way, that symbol has been around for a very long time. My own studies demands those symbols teach everything man needs to use to know/learn the truth about our reality. Those symbols, when used in a three dimensional format will completely change the way our world views/understands our reality. Perhaps this will be the year that truth is revealed... time will tell!

--Charles Marcello

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf
Symbology isn't real. Dan Brown made it up.

However, I do know a bit about symbols. The Eye in the Triangle is known as a masonic symbol, but can be traced to ancient Egypt, and to Buddhist myth, and was used in the Middle Ages as a symbol of the Christian Trinity.

Really ? Egyptian .The eye and the pyrimid is Egyptian ? I DON'T THINK SO ! While the Egyptians have pyrimids and there are heiroglyphs depicting eyes , be they Horus , Osirsis or Isis .Never have both a eye and pyrimid be depicted in Egypt together this way ever . The intent is reflective of Egypt , but not Egyptiain in origin .

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Thanks for the kind words. I haven't studied much of the Kabbalah, would be interested to see if the symbol is tied with a Religion as secretive as that.

reply to post by ShadeWolf

I have to disagree about Symbology being a Dan Brown invention. For argument's sake, any profession that would be dependent on ones knowledge of symbols...classifies [in my book] as a symbologist.

On a side note... you nailed the "concept" I had for the piece. [thumbs up]

reply to post by littlebunny

I am very familiar with this symbol and its MANY MANY meanings. This is the closest symbol to my own that I have found.... until about 5 minutes ago.

Check out THIS SITE and scroll down to the image.

It is called The Androgynous Man. I found this next bit to be "enlightening"

Both the square and the triangle are imposed over the winged globe, which represents the illumined soul. Sitting on the globe, is the dragon. Still breathing fire, but apparently harmless. Note that the dragon is also winged. This must mean that the physical passions have been successfully lifted up or spiritualized.

Here is a more stripped down version of my Triad Symbol.

I appreciate everybody's input...
edit on 1-1-2011 by Areveli because: added an image link

edit on 1-1-2011 by Areveli because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Areveli

Just a quick observations of such....

You have the Square which represents Earth, the Circle which represents Water, The Triangle which represents Fire and the Crescent which represents Air. Normaly the crescents are shown in an East/West manner, on your image however they are face North/South around the eye. The Pupil is rather interesting in that it looks like the Earth? Where you also have it surrounded my a "Ring of Fire" which the Real Earth does have a "Ring of Fire" around it.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Here are a few more examples of how I have used the symbol within my art.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I created this as a window to my soul. The eye is the Earth, I created the flare as if the Sun was shinning directly behind the Earth... Illuminating it.

The use of the Roman Numeral One around the inner Triangle is representative of the Holy Trinity... or the concept of 3 as 1.

The "Outer" elements are Earth, Fire, Water, Æther,
Æther in this case is both Air and Spirit.

The "Inner" elements are the same as the "Outer" ones, but have been obscured by improperly using language.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
To me, it is a transitional symbol. One that denotes a shifting from the "All for One" to "One For All", in unity. The eye in the center is the unity of the spirit reunited. A very attractive piece of Art Work.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by All Seeing Eye

Glad you enjoy it.

A gift for you
A larger version can be found HERE

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Speaking as an anthropologist (ohboy!), it means what you'd like it to mean.

Similar motifs are found in medieval European art. It reminded me somewhat of Pythagorean symbology (the ancient Greeks who followed the school started by Pythagoras were into some interesting stuff with numbers. It doesn't pan out, but it's interesting and the philosophy is unusual.) It has some elements of Celtic designs as well... and mandalas. And the three single symbols also reflect the aikido philosphy, according to one person who says he's a sensi. And it looks a little bit (but only a little) like a Masonic symbol.

As an interlaced symbol, it may be unique to you (which is a good thing, because it "brands" your art and makes it distinctive. This is one thing you need if you wish to be recognized as an artist.)

Some common symbols here:
www.crossroad.to...

So the answer is, "It is not a recognized symbol of any large organization or group at present or in the past. What would YOU, the originator, like it to be?"

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Areveli

Hello Areveli

Your art work is wonderful. Personally I believe our not so distant ancient ancestors misunderstood the concept of those symbols. From the work I've done over the last fourteen years I know it must be true... here is a simple visual version of the concept to help get peoples minds around the true meaning of those symbols. I realize everyone in entitled to their opinion, however, three dimensional mathematics seems to be the stronger of "two" concepts. Here is a basic reading of the concept. Perhaps this year I will finally present a more in-depth version, though all are free to go as deep as they wish on their own.

Again, I enjoyed your art work.

--Charles Marcello

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
you should look into the books of Ophiel [Edward Peach]
his art and practice series is a treasure trove
his books and his viginettes are obtainable
seek and you shall find
cabala astral projection visualization clairvoyance tarot astrology pretty much all the major
occult stuff and their connections in a down to earth language and quite a few BIG SECRETS set along the
way for the more discerning
anyway he refers to these symbols as tatvas-tatwwas
they're elemental symbols from India and have all sorts of uses
Vayu, Tejas, Apas, Prithivi, Akasha
circle, triangle, crescent moon, square, and vesica pisces
air, fire,water,earth,[Void or Quintessence]
blue,red,white,sort of gold, sort of indigo
inverted triangle is female

if you really want to know your symbols meaning get
Ophiel's Art and Practice of Astral Projection and use the Symbol Method

briefly: you need to stare at it until you can see it clearly with your eyes closed in their complementary colors due to the effect of the persistence of vision if you're good at visualization this part shouldn't be hard

next step is to visualize symbol [remember colors are now complementary] and use it as door and go thru it!
Ophiel calls it clairvoyance or AP thru the visualization of the tatvas

I believe that in yoga terminology, achieving Samyama [contemplation, meditation, and absorption]
with your symbol will give knowlege and power with respect to it

if I remember my Patanjali correctly.

Yes the answers are inside you.
hope this helps.

edit on 1-1-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: spellcheck

edit on 1-1-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: again, spellcheck

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Thank you all.

I have been following the Rebis / Alchemy trail all day.

I also noticed when my concept of the symbol is inverted; it takes the impression of the Compass and Square. Which I have always thought of, but until today never had an image I could link with Masonic ideology.

As for my own use of the symbol...

I have adopted it as a symbol of my faith. So I am quite pleased to see that [its] prior use is in line with my own interpretations. I study many disciplines and have ALWAYS been able to use it as a guide of sorts.

Having three components, makes it a perfect tool for teaching: Mind, Body, Soul... Music....Art... even psychology.

Maybe one day I'll start a cult... just kidding.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
What language is that on the outer ring and on the inner ring?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/192dc19c62fd.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 2-1-2011 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

Yes, also what means Anima and Sparo for you ? Interesting representation.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by moltquedelo

Yes, also what means Anima and Sparo for you ? Interesting representation.

Is it latin or Italian?

Is the 2nd language Greek or Coptic?

Interestingly enough I couldn't find much about the origins or root meanings of the words, so I will have to guess.

Anima = Spirit? Soul? Transition? Unseen?
Sparo = Space? Air? Heavans?
Acqua = Water? Oceans?
Terra = Earth? Land?

The whole image incorpoates shapes, colors and two different languages.

It's like a cryptic key or something.

Perhaps Issac Newton could help us?

www.freemasons-freemasonry.com...

Where is this image located and how old it it?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Anima = Spirit? Soul? Transition? Unseen?

I have a new guess for the word Anima.

Anima = Time?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
sparo may be wind or fire, Terra is probably Earth, Acqua is probably water.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join