It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need a Symbologist's opinion... Circle, Square, Triangle Symbol

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

I already posted the translation of Anima. Latin word meaning "vital force", often equated with the spirit (not the soul, which is a religious concept). The inner words are in Greek, and the outer are in Latin, or a dialect of it. Sparo is the only one I've been unable to find any reference to, which makes me think the artist created it.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadeWolf

Dan Brown made it up????

Wow....I have no words....apparently symbology has been around only a few years?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf
Symbology isn't real. Dan Brown made it up.

However, I do know a bit about symbols. The Eye in the Triangle is known as a masonic symbol, but can be traced to ancient Egypt, and to Buddhist myth, and was used in the Middle Ages as a symbol of the Christian Trinity. It appears that a variant on the Masonic compass and square surrounds the Eye. This is within a stylized sun, resembling those seen in Medieval illuminations, and on the crown of the Roman Sol Invictus (meaning, if my Latin is correct, the Conquering Sun). On the four sides, there are Greek inscriptions that I can't read. On the outer edges, the four classical elements (Anima, or vital force, earth, water, and and one I cannot identify) are written. The composition of the whole makes me think of Alchemy and European mysticism from the pre-Elizabethan era.

-Third eye is not a masonic symbol, in fact, it predates masonry all together.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I already posted the translation of Anima. Latin word meaning "vital force", often equated with the spirit (not the soul, which is a religious concept). The inner words are in Greek, and the outer are in Latin, or a dialect of it. Sparo is the only one I've been unable to find any reference to, which makes me think the artist created it.

It would be helpful to know the location and age of this picture yes?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Areveli

So then Areveli this picture is your creation?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Yep, I am responsible for this. I used Illustrator for the Vector stuff, pulled it into Photoshop, then went crazy with layer masks.

Thank you for checking it out.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

I like hiding things in my art, Sparo "represents" the word Fire... but not as a Noun. In this case it is a Verb.

Happy hunting...

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

The inner words are not Greek a few of the symbols like Phi are similar but the others aren't
The Greek Alphabet is

Α α
Β β
Γ γ
Δ δ
Ε ε
Ζ ζ
Η η
Θ θ
Ι ι
Κ κ
Λ λ
Μ μ
Ν ν
Ξ ξ
Ο ο
Π π
Ρ ρ
Σ σ ς
Τ τ
Υ υ
Φ φ
Χ χ
Ψ ψ
Ω ω

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Areveli

Yep, I am responsible for this. I used Illustrator for the Vector stuff, pulled it into Photoshop, then went crazy with layer masks.

Thank you for checking it out.

So which part did you copy then?

The symbols (The Circle, Square and Triangle) only?

Where did you get the wording from?
edit on 2-1-2011 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

It is all my creation. The inner text is using a Greek/Coptic font, but it is used incorrectly for symbolic purposes.

I wont go into too much detail explaining why I created this... It should be left up to the viewer to decide what the image means on an individual level. However, I will give you guys a little more insight into what it means to me.

Like most things in life, the hidden message is a cryptic one. If you notice there are only FOUR elements positioned at each corner.

Sparo: Terra: Aqua: Anima:

Each element EXCEPT ONE can be used as verbs,

• Sparo is Latin/Italian for Fire.... as in READY.... AIM.... FIRE

• I used the word Aqua instead of Water [another level of confusion]...
What happens when you WATER a plant? You turn a noun into a verb.

• The word Anima [made famous by Carl Jung] has been used by many cultures, and
it is the origin of the word Animate... To give life. In this case it represents Air/Wind/Soul...

Please note in English the letters W-I-N-D or "wind"; can serve two completely different functions.

• The last elemental term is Terra; which of course means Earth. It is the only word that cannot be connected directly to a Verb.

To put bluntly... the image is an artistic expression, questioning why our race of beings have thoroughly disconnected themselves from Earth.

The super-majority of us... are wasteful, inconsiderate, greedy, and unsympathetic to the living Earth.

We are so removed from acknowledging the Earth as a living Conscious Entity, that even our language.... as subtle as it may seem... allows for only noun descriptions.

The closest the term "Earth" has ever been used as a Verb... is in "Unearth"
Which is [in my mind] a negative use of the term.

In closing, enlightenment comes from seeing things as they are NOT!

edit on 3-1-2011 by Areveli because: fixed spelling

edit on 3-1-2011 by Areveli because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Look at it more like this...

Th Greater Elements are removed from the Lesser Elements; both in space and understanding. The "inner" or "lesser" elements are not meant to be deciphered. [for symbolic reasons]

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Dan Brown made it up????

Wow....I have no words....apparently symbology has been around only a few years?

Yes, it's a made-up "ology."

There are a number of anthropologists who study signs and symbols. Formally it's called "semiotics" (occasionally "symbolic anthropology" but that's less precise). Umberto Eco (who wrote "Name of the Rose") is a semioticist.

I studied Pierce and (not credited) Boas, Levi-Strauss (whose work I admire greatly en.wikipedia.org... ) and a few others on semiotics when I was getting my degree in Anthropology:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Areveli

This symbol is the philosophers stone (same as the one on wiki you link to). The ways this is drawn can be as diverse as the artists drawing it. It doesn't really matter in so long as theres a couple circles and a square and a triangle in there. For an explanations see emblem 21 in the following document.

www.scribd.com...

"But that this was not unknown to the Philosophers of Nature is apparent from this: That they command a Circle to be turned into a Quadrangle, and this by a Triangle to be reduced again to a Circle. By a circle they understand the most simple body without angles, as by the Quadrangle they do the four Elements....

In like manner the Philosophers would have the Quadrangle reduced into a Triangle, that is, into a Body, Spirit and Soul, which three appear in the three previous colours before Rednesse: that is, the Body or earth in the Blacknesse of Saturn, the Spirit in the Lunar whitenesse as water, and the Soul or air in the Solar Citrinity. Then the Triangle will be perfect, but this again must be changed into a Circle; that is, into an invariable rednesse..."

It's hermetic.... which doesn't necessarily mean "Egyptian" but may. Yes it's very much as faith/spirituality thing and in tune with "as above so below" thinking.

Traditionally the symbolism is:
Circle - duality
Square - four elements - traditionally aqua, ignis, terra, aire if you want to use the latin
Traingle - Tria prima - traditionally animus, spiritus, corpus in latin(soul, spirit, body). Or mind, body, spirit if you want to be more contemporary.
Outer circle - zodiac

Love the art!

Cheers,
Carla Henkel
nakedalchemy.com

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Chenkel

Awesome website!

Thank you for the compliments and links as well.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Areveli

I would say Anima = to give life/life itself is "correct" somehow.

Btw why the sun as such a central representation ? and what is the the drawing inside the eye ? it seems to be the Australian continent

Also the tree "one" in Roman caracters are for the representation of the Trinity ?
And what the caracters / meaning / words of the strange symbols ? is it Copt language ?
edit on 5-1-2011 by moltquedelo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
As an old witch I can tell you how I read it when I saw it....

Power lies in the elements, through the power of the godhead, we are all eternal and all one.
Godhead in this case being represented by the Sungod, with the power to tap consciousness of the Wedjat if one is aware of it.

It's a very nice symbol, IMO, rather a compilation of them. I like it.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana

Power lies in the elements, through the power of the godhead, we are all eternal and all one.
Godhead in this case being represented by the Sungod, with the power to tap consciousness of the Wedjat if one is aware of it.

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana

Sorry but I must disagree , every symbol focusing on the "eye" with a pyramid is "bad"/"corrupted" whatever lies around.. as an "old witch" you should know this already

edit on 5-1-2011 by moltquedelo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
It seems to represent geometric entanglement. Everything connected with an all seeing eye.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Not according to merriam-webster, they put the first use at 1840-pretty sure dan brown wasnt around back then:
sym·bol·o·gy
noun \sim-ˈbä-lə-jē\
plural sym·bol·o·gies
Definition of SYMBOLOGY
: the art of expression by symbols
: the study or interpretation of symbols
: a system of symbols
Origin of SYMBOLOGY
symbol + -logy
First Known Use: 1840

www.merriam-webster.com...

new topics