It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philosophical implications: WInning the Lotto ...what would you do with it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I recently had a long conversation with a friend who, like me, has a love for all things philosophy. He asked me a question that had me rather stumped. What would I do if I won a significant amount of money in the lotto.

Let's just say for conversations sake. 100 mil, after taxes left with about 55 mil.

SO while the point of this thread is: "What would you do with 55-100 Mil?"

But before you answer, let me tell you why I was stumped. I have grown into a life of contentment and peace. While I intend to buy some acreage in the mountains with a few cob houses and an organic garden, I found that with that kind of sum I would have significant leverage to help others. Be it investing in newly invented skin grafts for burn victims, dew collectors in parts of the world where people live in arid conditions, or water filters in parts of the world that have health problems due to dirty water .....just to name a few.

There is also starvation, single mothers, addicts, homeless. I mean the list goes on and on.

But I find that some people are specifically in certain situations for a reason, a life lesson, perhaps burning off karma, so on and so forth. And here you come along and take them out of that. I mean the implications here are extremely huge if you philosophically think about all of this.

Regardless, what would you do with 55-100 Million?

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Buy freedom from TPTB for myself and mr=y friends/family. What matters more than freedom?

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I would stop working and try to start living a life as natural as I can possibly can get.

I would by the latest gadgets for recycling and disposal along with only as little possible polluting products.Once I succeeded I would start to help people to have a normal life people that don't have it.

Maybe i'll invest that 40 million left to assassinate the elite and keep a few to be able to keep helping people without needing help myself.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This has been on my mind lately because of certain circumstances at work.

First of all, I would not give away the fact I won. I would continue to go to work, but I would purposely start to suck at my job, but make it seem like I didn't understand anything, but do it in a very subtle way. I would also call in sick alot, and take random vacations, but do just enough to not get fired for as long as I could.

Then on the last day I would pull up in my Buggati Veyron, and do donut in the parking lot for a while, then hold down the break and hit the gas to create a huge cloud of rubber, and once it encompoosed the entire building, take off, and dispear.

Seriously though, I wouldn't waste my money on a car like that. I would probably create a charitable organization and spend the rest of my life helping people less fortunate.

Then I'd buy ATS, BWAHAHHAHAAHA!

Once I owned ATS, I would fill the sites with bars that encomposed the whole screen, lol j/k.
edit on 31-12-2010 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
1,000 acres in Wyoming with a water supply, solar panels, aux fuel generators, ammo, food, seeds, and an eye on what everyone else is doing. I'd make it big enough to host several "like-minded" folks.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Easy

Besides of course making a very comfortable existance for myself, Invest in a single project to advance it

Seems totally wasteful to get tons of money and not progress something to benefit all of humanity, and give you a shot at extreme longevity at the same time.
you can't take it with you...so, why not try and hold off the trip in the first place.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I wouldn't know what to do with that sort of money.
I could have everything I want and need and still have a large amount of cash leftover.

I'd probably give 30 mil to my family and give another 30 to charity and research.
Will use 5 million to get what I want and convert the remaining 35 mil into gold and bury it in case I need it or anyone else needs it.

edit on 31-12-2010 by Segador because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Pay off my overdraft/student loan!!
Buy a house in Cheshire and a villa in the Balearics
Buy an aston martin
Pay off my parents house, or buy them a new one
Buy my brother and sisters a house each when they turn 18
Buy a club in ibiza
Build a music studio in my house and get top of the range equipment and dj gear

Can't think of anything else atm, there's bound to be more.
edit on 31/12/2010 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I honestly don't know "exactly" what I would do but here is a bit of an outline:

Figure out some sick places to live in beautiful natural locations (eg, Balearics, Italian Countryside, somewhere in Asia etc etc)... doesnt have to be a huge house or anything just in a beautiful natural location.

I can't say whether I would create a charity or donate to one but it would definitely be something for children and teens (funding education, dreams, treatments etc)

I would definitely stay in school but possibly change streams, I would definitely have to look into what I would really want to learn, psychology/philosophy probably.

Travel the world, meet people, help people and... just be!

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I'd buy some land and build a house. Nothing fancy, just a nice place to be comfortable in and enough land to hunt, fish, and grow things on. Then, I'd pay off all the bills friends and family have, give them enough so they don't have to work if they don't want to, and enough so their kids could go to college if they wanted to. The rest would go to charity

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
I recently had a long conversation with a friend who, like me, has a love for all things philosophy. He asked me a question that had me rather stumped. What would I do if I won a significant amount of money in the lotto.

Let's just say for conversations sake. 100 mil, after taxes left with about 55 mil.

SO while the point of this thread is: "What would you do with 55-100 Mil?"

But before you answer, let me tell you why I was stumped. I have grown into a life of contentment and peace. While I intend to buy some acreage in the mountains with a few cob houses and an organic garden, I found that with that kind of sum I would have significant leverage to help others. Be it investing in newly invented skin grafts for burn victims, dew collectors in parts of the world where people live in arid conditions, or water filters in parts of the world that have health problems due to dirty water .....just to name a few.

There is also starvation, single mothers, addicts, homeless. I mean the list goes on and on.

But I find that some people are specifically in certain situations for a reason, a life lesson, perhaps burning off karma, so on and so forth. And here you come along and take them out of that. I mean the implications here are extremely huge if you philosophically think about all of this.

Regardless, what would you do with 55-100 Million?

I'd put myself through college to finish my biochemistry degree, buy some property/build a house, put aside a million for a rainy day, donate the rest to charity.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Where are the real responses at? You're talking about giving to charity and living off the land but I'm not buying it! The thing is money changes people and what your intentions are now might not be the same if you did happen to come into that kind of money....

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Give 10-20 % to charity.

Help out some family members and friends...

Invest some of it.

I wouldnt splurge... not much anyways.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Basically I would cease all work and continue the journey deeper into the mind while always relaxing somewhere living by the beach with a daily, calm sunset view, or live in the forest.

Either way, I would seriously slow life down, be patient, take things slowly, and journey inside myself.

Eventually I would try to join the CIA or something. It's the only way I believe I could get to the higher ranks in the world.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I could have a hundredmill spent in less than a week . Seriously . The first thing I would do is buy this 30,000 acre paridise in southeast Oklahoma , build an elaborate , self-contained commune , hire a handful of experienced horticulturists who specialize in high-caliber enlightenment .

Retain Gerry Spence as legal council , for any situations that may arise in the future .

Buy a huge yacht and staff it with pretty people , take all my friends on a world tour . Drink coffee in Amsterdam , *cough cough* , umm ...let's see , where were we ? Smoke a nice fat , umm ... cigar , on top of the great pyramid . See Machu Pichu , Puma Punku , Nazca Lines . Pay for a private tour of the Vatican archives .

Give tons of it to the homeless . Nothing like handing out money to random people that you don't know , who are in need .

Buy tons of books and ZigZags and go back to my commune and follow the little animals around .

I'm sure there's more ...

I'd just spend the hell out of it . That's why they print it . Doesn't do me any good at all unless I spend it .

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by NaturalKnowledge

You wouldnt get very far.

Only blood allows you to get that high

People with your attitude serve the role of the eponymous "useful idiot".. Your valued up until you get annoying or start asserting yourself beyond being a servant to them.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

It's the only way I believe I could get to the higher ranks in the world.

Maybe you mistook his meaning . We , as individuals , process incoming data with varied interpretations .

I could be wrong but , I don't think he had aspirations of becoming one of their "useful idiots".

I think you missed it .

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
At this point in my life I am not sure I would want that much money. Money tends to change people and usually not in a good way. My husband and I have always struggled, so to just be "comfortable" would be awesome for me. IF I were to win a grotesque amount of cash I would probably build onto and under my current home and land. I would pay someone to show me how to donate/give as much away as possible while keeping as much as possible out of the governments hands. I would make sure my children would be taken care of as well. I would also pay for my own healthcare 100% later in life so I wouldn't have to touch any government entity.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Great post! I would pay of all remaining debt, I would buy my dream home and land in the mountains and retire. I would have some goats and chickens and a garden. I would try and become more self sufficient and get off the grid as much as I could. I would still want to keep up my blog and try to help people in any way I could with all things spiritual. After taking a few years off I think I would become and activist for clean water and other environmental concerns.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
I would stop working and try to start living a life as natural as I can possibly can get.

I would by the latest gadgets for recycling and disposal along with only as little possible polluting products.Once I succeeded I would start to help people to have a normal life people that don't have it.

Maybe i'll invest that 40 million left to assassinate the elite and keep a few to be able to keep helping people without needing help myself.

I couldn't agree more, hopefully it will happen for both of us

top topics

<<   2 >>

join