It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Slow Response Time: Server overload or DDOS attacks ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I've noticed a number of posters recently complaining about the sudden unreliability in the speed with which the ATS servers load or refresh a page. Just to get into this "new thread" area took almost a minute and at other times, you can actually sit there and watch the screen graphics and text being re-painted ever so slowlyyyyyyyy ....
There are even times when the page refuses to load or completely refresh.

With those other posters, I've been experiencing much the same myself and it seems to have become very noticeable in the last 1 - 2 weeks. Previous to that time, ATS has always been very fast and responsive.
Thinking that perhaps it was a problem on my end, I've checked my pc thoroughly and confirmed the issue exists by using a 2nd pc, showing that the problem has to be on the ATS side.

Now considering the length of time that this seems to have been happening, I would have thought that if it was a nothing more than a temporary technical issue, that the mods would have made some kind of announcement by now explaining such. But unless I missed such an announcement, they haven't and instead they've been very quiet on the slow response time issues.

What's the other alternative if it's not a technical issue ?

With the latest Anon attacks on PayPal, Mastercard, Visa, etc, it immediately comes to mind that perhaps ATS is also finding itself becoming the target of DDOS attacks by person(s) unknown.

Can any of the mods please chime in and give us some feedback as to why ATS has become so unreliable recently ? I'm sure myself and many others would appreciate the feedback !

Thanks ....

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure it's not a DOS attack
as you wouldn't be able to load ATS at all....

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Same here with the relatively frequent slow ATS response time.
But thought that it was just because of something to do with my pc.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic
I'm pretty sure it's not a DOS attack
as you wouldn't be able to load ATS at all....

Not so.

Depending on the severity and intensity of the DDOS attack, you'd have a range of effects from just a little slowness to a full blown no-load of ATS pages.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I am so glad you started this thread! I thought it was my computer, too. I have done everything short of wipe and re-load thinking I had some unknown trojan or worm I couldn't find!!

I hope we get some answers.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

Either way, i'm pretty damn sure it's NOT a DOS attack.

If it comes out that it is, i'll redact the statement, until then................

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I get this, usually around mid day (GMT) does it happen at any particular time for anyone else?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I haven't had any problems up here in Canada.

No long load times or anything.

If it was a DDOS I would assume everybody would have having issues and not just a select few.

I know that some people in Europe have been having issues getting though, perhaps it is the ISP of those locations?

To add, also with Peak Internet Usage times and perhaps millions of people on this website, that could cause some slowdowns...

~Keeper
edit on 12/30/2010 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Either way, i'm pretty damn sure it's NOT a DOS attack.

If it comes out that it is, i'll redact the statement, until then................

I'm fairly sure as well (at least I hope so) that it isn't a DDOS attack.
But it's blatantly obvious that there IS some kind of technical issue over at ATS that you'd expect we'd get a heads up about.

If only to stop many ATS members thinking the problem is in their pc's and wasting lots of time trying to track down a non-existent problem .. perhaps going as far as formatting their hard drives and re-installing Windows as jennybee35 almost decided to do !
edit on 30/12/10 by tauristercus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

It happens more after 4 p.m (cst) for me, and by 9 p.m., it is almost impossible to pull ATS up. It times out in between pages sometimes. Really disgusting!

I asked my brother about it, as he owns our ISP here, and his crabby answer was "It's that P.O.S. computer of yours!" Even though it is only 4 months old, I took him at his word and started trying to diagnose it's problems. Now I see it wasn't it's fault at all!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Speaking of ATS issues ... where have all the star indicators gone from the top of everyone's posts ?
Just noticed that none of the posters in this thread have a star area anymore.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jennybee35

It happens more after 4 p.m (cst) for me, and by 9 p.m., it is almost impossible to pull ATS up. It times out in between pages sometimes. Really disgusting!

jennybee ... I haven't noticed any specific times when I experience slowness. For me it's been happening virtually every day for over a week now and happens at any time of day or night.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

4pm-9pm sounds like it would be cause by local traffic on your end, it's the time that everyone comes home from work and checks their mail etc.

I don't think it matches up to my time.... GMT - CST - agghhhh it's confusing

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tauristercus
Speaking of ATS issues ... where have all the star indicators gone from the top of everyone's posts ?

There are never any stars in the Board business section

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
In fact, I'm experiencing slow loads/refresh times right now.
Local time is 2:30 pm and NOT a busy or congested internet use time.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

Originally posted by tauristercus

There are never any stars in the Board business section

Hahaha ... just goes to show you can learn something new all the time

Been a user for a long time and never noticed that before ...

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

No, it's not like normal traffic slow-down at all. I am very used to that.It is minimal even at very busy times. It just took like 25 seconds to load this page. I am as likely to be told the connection timed out as get the page I'm after.

ETA: Although, yes it is worse at these times. I guess the combination makes it so much worse!
edit on 12/30/10 by jennybee35 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

No one said that this thread is pointless..

I was just telling you since I have been on websites
when they are getting dosed and ATS was not acting in the same fashion.
My opinion it's not a DOS attack..

My ATS is working fine.. So probably not a DOS attack.
edit on 30-12-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

Your brother doesn't sound very helpful

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

No one said that this thread is pointless..

I was just telling you since I have been on websites
when they are getting dosed and ATS was not acting in the same fashion.
My opinion it's not a DOS attack..

My ATS is working fine.. It's not a DOS attack.
edit on 30-12-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

And I agreed with you that in all likelihood it was not a DDOS attack ... I simply threw it out there as a non-zero possibility to try to explain the symptoms that many of us are obviously experiencing lately.

If there are any Mods monitoring this thread, any chance of one of you giving us an official heads up ?

Yes, there's a problem
or
No, there's not a problem.

Edit: 25 seconds from the moment I clicked "Post" to getting a page refresh !
edit on 30/12/10 by tauristercus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join