It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe's Muslims and Jews Unite to Fight Food-Labeling Proposal

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Europe's Muslims and Jews Unite to Fight Food-Labeling Proposal

www.themedialine.org

Muslim and Jewish organizations in Europe are putting aside differences over the Middle East conflict to team up against a proposal by European Union (EU) lawmakers that would require ritually slaughtered meat to carry a label warning consumers about inhumane treatment to animals.

the amendment would require ritually slaughtered meat to carry the warning: "Derived from animals that have not been stunned prior to slaughter.”

Animal rights activists, however, regard the method as inhumane a
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone saw a thread I made a while ago but I had actually suggested banning halal and kosher food because such treatment of animals should be considered illegal, also it would greatly help deter the mass immigration of muslims into the UK and other parts of Europe that some people say is diluting or even overshadowing their current culture. This is a politically correct way of tackling that issue.
Here is the thread where I had mentioned that
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Let me say... it is THE best approach there is
So all you europeans.. Support this!

Personally torturing an animal while praying to god makes me wonder if it's really god that one is praying to.

People really need to look deep within themselves and take the blinds off their eyes and look at the sick rituals that they perform.

Yes it is faith, I understand that.
But for them to unite for the right to unbiasely market slaughtered and tortured animals is for me, the completely wrong thing to unite on.

However.....

“We have no objection to labeling, but if this is about food information, you have to be honest to your citizens,” Shimon Cohen, campaign director for Shechita UK, which promotes awareness of the Jewish method of slaughtering animals, told The Media Line. “When you go to a supermarket you should be able to pick up any item and see whether it’s a product of shechita, halal, gassing or electrocution.”

Fair enough, I am not at all against this
No problem

But end halal food, kosher food and any meat where the animal was tortured.
End it, do not only force the labelling of it as such but make it ILLEGAL!!!!

www.themedialine.org
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 29-12-2010 by ModernAcademia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
If im eating religous meat then i want to know about it.

Some people dont give a toss what they eat.

But i will not eat food which has been prepared in a ridiculous 2000 year old beleif.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I support this, despite being a bit of an anti EU Anglophile...

You currently have the labelling to tell you whether your food is GM or not, where it comes from, what farm etc. I would like to know that my meat has been properly slaughtered too, and not butchered like savages because some dusty tome written by goat-herders who lived in a desert 3,000 years ago said so...

. However, I do eat alot of pork and I can be pretty certain that no Rabbi or Imman has been anywhere near that meat!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I am neither muslim nor jewish, yet think this proposal is silly.

They never bothered to have labels on before telling consumers there meat was from animals which were stunned before slaughter, so why have labels "warning" us of those which aren't stunned before slaughter?

How is either way more humane than the other? At the end of the day the meat gets eaten.

I won't support this.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
On the one hand, I agree with the OP but in the end - is not the animal dead? Kosher meat (tortured) and Kobe beef (treated like royalty) both meet the same fate. I mean, the center of the problem is the torturing. Get at that because labeling after the act has already been done is pointless. Keep religion out of politics AND food. Or at least do not allow people to sell kosher products.

Also, notifying consumers that a particular animal was tortured before being brought to the store would bring a whole new world of tactics for food corporations, don't you think? This is not like a restaurant detailing the calories counts of their food. This would be a new way to psychologically affect costumers using negative, fear monger advertising. So instead of "fat free", "organic,", you'd have "not tortured" or something like that.

A more important matter would be to make it mandatory that all GMO food be labeled!!!!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
It's impossible to ban Hallal or kosher meat because the market for it is huge in Europe.Even animal rights organistations have given up.In UK majority of the supermarkets are owned by jews and majority of the food outlets like takeaways and restaurants are owned by muslims.Both work hand in hand to meet their own needs.

edit on 29-12-2010 by forklift because: Grammar error

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I'm certainly not going to pray to any "god" that requires my food be tortured before killing.

I've seen the videos of cattle prepared in the kosher method and it is sickening; if you're going to slaughter an animal make it as quick and painless as possible, not some damned gory spectacle of superstition and an animal in agony.

S&F

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Then stop praying to the god of profits and factory farms that electrocute and drive bolts into the brain of you meat bearing critters.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I am not the type of person who necessarily looks or cares about such labels, I care about the price and buy what's on sale
. That being said, my grocery store has tons of items labeled either kosher or halal, those that do concern themselves with such labels know what religious rituals went into the slaughter, so what is wrong with this simple label? Why does it need a label to gross out all consumers?

Now if I put on my tin foil hat, I would suggest that it is another means by a group to rid the world of religious practices and ultimately religion. But who knows

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Hold on, don't we also treat a large amount of our slaughterhouse animals in disgusting barbaric ways? Isn't this just a case of the pot calling the kettle black? What is it exactly that they do that is worse than us?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Em barbarricpty Skies
Hold on, don't we also treat a large amount of our slaughterhouse animals in disgusting barbaric ways? Isn't this just a case of the pot calling the kettle black? What is it exactly that they do that is worse than us?

Exactly!

At the end of the day isn't killing an animal barbaric? So why does it matter whether you shoot it, electricute it or slaughter it with Gods name read on it?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
This halal nonsense is ridiculous in the U.K.Places such as subway and most fast food joints now sell only halal,personly surely I should have a choice to eat or not halal/kosher meat?Mcdonalds is about the only place that doesn't sell it-that's why I eat there only.Usually the E.U. makes silly annoying rules but this one I'm all for,not only do we pander to these people,we now have to eat like them.Another example of muslims and jews forcing their customs on us.They know that in for example Britain that we bend over and take it up the ass from them because everyone is afraid to disagree with them incase they cry discrimination.Well I for one am sick of us Brits discriminating against ourselves.I an not afraid of being branded a racist,I am infact quite proud to be a racist if that's what you want to call me but bottom line,if they aren't happy here go back to your homeland.If all these muslims and jews had stayed in there own countries and tried to changes things there perhaps it would have evolved from the dark ages and might be a nicer and safer place now.
edit on 29/12/2010 by glen200376 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

If you don't like halal meat or kosher food, please don't buy it and move a long.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by forklift
At the end of the day isn't killing an animal barbaric? So why does it matter whether you shoot it, electricute it or slaughter it with Gods name read on it?

If you give someone the death penalty let him die fast
Don't torture him first

Originally posted by glen200376
I an not afraid of being branded a racist,I am infact quite proud to be a racist if that's what you want to call me but bottom line,

If you are not a racist there's no reason to be proud to be called one

Originally posted by Ilovecatbinlady
If you don't like halal meat or kosher food, please don't buy it and move a long.

It's not that easy, sometimes there's no labelling
Also one poster highlighted the issue of availability of non-halal food as well

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
I am not the type of person who necessarily looks or cares about such labels, I care about the price and buy what's on sale
. That being said, my grocery store has tons of items labeled either kosher or halal, those that do concern themselves with such labels know what religious rituals went into the slaughter, so what is wrong with this simple label? Why does it need a label to gross out all consumers?

Now if I put on my tin foil hat, I would suggest that it is another means by a group to rid the world of religious practices and ultimately religion. But who knows
I don't think that you got the point-the muslims and jews don't want a label,they want everyone to eat it,like it or lump it.Funny when for the last 20 years they have forced us to label food kosher/halal!

link   
reply to post by Kram09

What about on tuna they have dolphin friendly versions, ie caught without drift nets, same thing, you should know where you meat comes from and what sort of treatment it has had.

Wee Mad

link   
reply to post by forklift

That wasn't exactly what I was getting at. I don't have a problem with eating meat, we are carnivorous creatures for the most part, though I appreciate why some choose to be vegetarian.
It's the ways in which we handle the slaughter of the animals we eat which is completely dishonourable, we have lost our respect for where the meat we eat came from.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
It isn't such a surprise that this has happened or has been proposed. The fact is, humans require food to sustain their very existence.

Lets face it only 10 years ago such a topic was a lmao topic. I guess its now evident how confused and how well the confusion has been introduced into the main stream and obviously upon people regardless of their religious beliefs. If you or who ever is wondering as to why i posted this, well its very obvious. Introduce religion into any topic and your sure to hit a home run. ( Humans are so predictable )

That is correct, consume your daily, minutes, thoughts, with topics that have no bearing on reality but rather to satisfy those who have a twisted approach to the human evolution.

Divide and Conquer
edit on 29-12-2010 by tristar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
That is correct, consume your daily, minutes, thoughts, with topics that have no bearing on reality but rather to satisfy those who have a twisted approach to the human evolution.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.. I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
-- Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join