It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid comes close to Earth December 28 2010....and no warning given

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by GodIsPissed

Wow...I would really be interested to see the pics! Please post them when you can OK?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by GodIsPissed

Could it have been the space station? I would still like to see the pics.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by xBWOMPx

Please go back and read the thread....it was falsely reported as being large (which it was not)....I explained all that already.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Because technology and calculus lets us know where it will go with some basic high school physics equations. No unless some equally huge asteroid were to hit it at the same time and spray destruction across the Earth, there is no reason to warn people. It would be like warning people every time a flock of crows went by. There's a chance one could spontaneously die and fall and stab your eye out, but its so low we don't even bother.

To quote someone somewhere, suck it up, be a man.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Actually it was warned in a sense I suppose. I saw on a science program about it before but it was never a big deal.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Crutchley29

You have an error though, they don't track all... they track all they know about. They are discovering hundreds every month and adding them to the list. But I agree with you re cover ups and all that trailer trash, they wouldnt be able to cover it up, we would know about a threat, unless no one knew about it... (obviously) !

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Yes, I agree with you....when I posted this thread, I was under the impression that is was a large one (otherwise I wouldn't have posted it).....then I discovered it was not true....but it was too late, it was already posted . There are a lot out there ...more than most people would think. I was amazed to see how much debris and "space junk" is circling our planet as well!
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5632eb550efa.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat

Yes, I agree with you....when I posted this thread, I was under the impression that is was a large one (otherwise I wouldn't have posted it).....then I discovered it was not true....but it was too late, it was already posted . There are a lot out there ...more than most people would think. I was amazed to see how much debris and "space junk" is circling our planet as well!
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5632eb550efa.jpg[/atsimg]

This is some more reading on NASA and their approach to NEO monitoring. There is a PDF file of NASA's requirements. It appears also that NASA has no appropriation at all to do the work??

www.universetoday.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Thanks Smurfy! Going to check it out now.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
For those that think there is no plan except for the wealthy maybe should read this.

usgovinfo.about.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">usgovinfo.about.com...

The USA already spends 3.5 million dollars on this a year that many citizens have lobbied to increase to 20 million. Any Earth collision is still very much theory on top of this. Lets face it we still have very little idea how big the Tunguska asteroid or whatever was.

Reading this thread would make you believe that any near Earth asteroid is a global killer. Too many factors exist like size, material, density, angle, and impact region. The Earth has been hit thousands of known times before, there has never been a mass extinction of amphibians known who are apparently the most fragile in any kind of global change.

Enjoy life whilst we have it, stop panicking that something that has not happened over recorded times and convincing yourselves it is going to happen in the next few years.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I invite you to play with this gravity simulator called ParticleMan. Last on on the link bellow. It is indeed amazing how quickly junk can collect around anything with a gravity well.

www.spore.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Pershing1973

OK....once again....I NEVER said ANY of that. I made it clear if you go back and read. The source was WRONG about the size. I DO NOT want doom
Merely passing on something I thought was interesting, which turned out to be bogus. I don't even think anything will happen in 2012 for Christ's sake..... I'm not one of those "The sun is looking funny, it's the end of the world" people....at all. Now.....all that said, I still think the subject is interesting....because apparently, these things can go undetected and "surprise" astronomers. So it is a relevant topic.Unfortunately, I cannot change the title of this thread.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Cool...thanks, I'll check it out asap.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pershing1973
For those that think there is no plan except for the wealthy maybe should read this.

usgovinfo.about.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">usgovinfo.about.com...

The USA already spends 3.5 million dollars on this a year that many citizens have lobbied to increase to 20 million. Any Earth collision is still very much theory on top of this. Lets face it we still have very little idea how big the Tunguska asteroid or whatever was.

Reading this thread would make you believe that any near Earth asteroid is a global killer. Too many factors exist like size, material, density, angle, and impact region. The Earth has been hit thousands of known times before, there has never been a mass extinction of amphibians known who are apparently the most fragile in any kind of global change.

Enjoy life whilst we have it, stop panicking that something that has not happened over recorded times and convincing yourselves it is going to happen in the next few years.

Hi Pershing,
That page is from 2003, NASA was mandated by congress to look for NEO's from 2005, that info is from the link in my last post. There no extra money to NASA included in the mandate, it is diverted from other projects. That is the spiel anyway.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Need I remind folks?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And yes... things will pass by NEO that they don't catch. Because it will be either moving too fast or they'll be too focused on something else... like being told what to hide and what to ignore.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Pershing1973

Not true, we do have calculations as well as entry angle of the Tunguska asteroid strike. It's on the link I left before.

Impact Earth

Interesting how large of an object it takes to disrupt life on Earth, and just how large of an object it takes to actually obliterate or even effect the Earth's rotation around the sun. Visit the site and type in your own 'Impact' parameters.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
What would you do with this information if you had it?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Get my family together in one place for however long we have. IF it happened....how about you?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
There are instructions on most barroom walls as what to do!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Here are some interesting links about the subject
geology.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

As for who is watching out for these things.....not many it seems...check out the article below

Several teams of astronomers worldwide are surveying the sky with electronic cameras to find NEOs, but the total effort involves fewer than 100 people. The most productive NEO survey is the LINEAR search program of the MIT Lincoln Lab, carried out in New Mexico with US Air Force and NASA support. The LINEAR team, which operates two search telescopes with one-meter aperture, discovers more asteroids than all the other searches combined. Other active survey groups include the NEAT search program in Hawaii, carried out jointly by the NASA Jet Propulsion Lab and the US Air Force; the Spacewatch survey at the University of Arizona, funded by NASA and a variety of private grants, the LONEOS survey at Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff Arizona, supported by NASA grants, and the Catalina Sky Survey in Tucson Arizona, also supported by NASA. Other astronomers (many of them amateurs) follow up the discoveries with supporting observations.
www.solcomhouse.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join