It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The amazing Northern Lights show that never ceases to amaze": (Aurora-Borealis incredible pics)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Lighting up the stars tonight: The Northern lights at Hvalfjorour fjord in Akranes near Reykjavik change the look of the landscape completely

Dancing across the clear skies, the amazing Auroa Borealis are truly a sight to behold. Icelandic photographer Kristjan Unnar Kristjansson - also known as 'Kiddi' - has spent the last nine years capturing the kaleidoscopic light show in his native homeland. 'These are some of my very favourite Aurora Borealis photos that I have taken in recent years,' said the 31-year-old from Reykjavik in Iceland.

The Aurora Boralis over a golf clubhouse, and in the distance, the Second World War lighthouse, in Seltjarnes. Icelandic photographer Kristjan has spent the last nine years capturing the kaleidoscopic light show

'No words can properly describe the experience. Even though I've seen them now and again throughout my life, I'm still awe-inspired and flabbergasted every time they show up.' Also known as the northern and southern polar lights, the natural light displays are governed by sun storms and are usually observed at night. In northern latitudes the effect is known as the Aurora Borealis, named after the Roman goddess of dawn, Aurora, and the Greek name for the north wind, Boreas.

Mackerel skies? Deep inside Hvalfjorour fjord in Akranes near Reykjavik, the amazing phenomenon is a sight to behold. Photographers need warm clothes and a lot of luck, says Kristjan

The auroras are with us all year round. In Iceland, the summers never go dark so you wouldn't be able to see them, even though they are there.

Source: www.dailymail.co.uk... land.html

On my Top 10 List of Places to go to and see/experience. I can't wait. I just sit in awe everytime I see these types of pictures. One good thing about living up that way, I guess.

I would have loved to lived that far north in my early days but now.... give me the warmth of the Southern areas.

But I can visit...and leave...

Any ATSers experience any of this? Got any of your own pictures? Please post.

Well, Sit back and enjoy the picutes as you glaze at them....in awe...

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Ah, fine pictures of Aurora-Borealis. I've never been so fortunate to see the Northern Lights, living in Oklahoma of course

But!!! I have been so fortunate to see the Aurora-Boreanaz!

edit on 28-12-2010 by midnightbrigade because: Removing bad link

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by midnightbrigade

Bad link....

Please check it.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

LOL I was editing my post as you caught it too...

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I'd love to watch the northern lights. All of that green and pink in the sky. That is something for Lovers to do. imagine how romantic it would be? You and your honey.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by midnightbrigade
But!!! I have been so fortunate to see the Aurora-Boreanaz!

I think it is Aurora-Borealis, not Anaz, that just sounds Dirty.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Very beautiful photos. I was fortunate to see the aurora one time in southeast Ohio. It was on Holloween night 2006 or maybe 2007? Major solar storm and the sky here in Dayton lit up a bright red. I thought there was a huge fire somewhere but it was the aurora.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I have never had the opportunity to see such beauty and enchantment in real life. Thanks for sharing these with us. Truly enchanting!!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Awesome pics.

I, too, have witnessed the lights In eastern Ohio, probably around the same time frame as the above poster.
I remember seeing a greenish hue across the northern sky at night and wondering where it came from.
But it was all over the news then.

A sight to behold!

Too bad I didn't take pictures...

Good find!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

wonderful shots, thank you ... seeing the AB in person is almost beyond description. Many nights as a child we enjoyed the dancing lights (backwoods of western PA) and frequently wondered what story they were trying to tell.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Im glad you liked them.

Be sure to Flag and Star the post if you like as to draw attention to it so others come and see the thread & the great replys/post.

Have a good day.

(I sent you a U2U (private message)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Now I think I am confused.

Do these Northern lights happen in other parts of the upper latitudes? Or rather-are they visiable all over the place?

I see others say they saw they in Pa, Ny etc.-in the more middle to southern areas? Is that possible to catch a view down that far, every once in a while?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
www.auroraskystation.se...

Best site ever for aurora

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
After living in Alaska for a number of years and witnessing zillions of Northern Lights....I miss them. They are simply amazing in person and pictures never do them justice!

Here are some of my personal photos (large):

NorLights - 1
NorLights - 2
NorLights - 3
NorLights - 4
NorLights - 5
NorLights - 6
NorLights - 7

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I've seen these lights several times (in Norway). I've also heard the "electric" sound they sometimes make. On this link you can see the current Aurora activity level:

NOAA POES Auroral Activity

High number (1-10) = better chance of seeing the Auroras.

Wikipedia: Tromsø (Norway)

Tromsø is in the middle of the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) zone, and is in fact one of the best places in the world to observe this phenomenon. Because of the planet's rotation, Tromsø moves into the aurora zone around 6 pm, and moves out again around midnight. As it is light round the clock in the summer, no aurora is visible between late April and mid-August.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
Now I think I am confused.

Do these Northern lights happen in other parts of the upper latitudes? Or rather-are they visiable all over the place?

I see others say they saw they in Pa, Ny etc.-in the more middle to southern areas? Is that possible to catch a view down that far, every once in a while?

Please don't be confused, just follow the link Helmutt provided and read up on the "Location, location, location" section ... yes, the AB can be seen all over the world ... not always and not all at once but depending on celestial/solar factors and the pole position, it has been viewed as far south (in America) as Georgia and Arizona ... not a real 'source link' but some good video and location info -- askville.amazon.com...
will try to post some of my collection, tomorrow ... pics aren't on this computer.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

yes, the AB can be seen all over the world ...

Actually, the Aurora Borealis can only be seen at the northern hemisphere, while the equivalent for the southern hemisphere is called Aurora Australis.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

Originally posted by Honor93

yes, the AB can be seen all over the world ...

Actually, the Aurora Borealis can only be seen at the northern hemisphere, while the equivalent for the southern hemisphere is called Aurora Australis.

touche
2nd line

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Cool. I think I like number 4. The blue colored one (on my screen anyway).

Thank you and to the rest of you. Some great info put up here. A treasure.

Now it this event has moved up on my list of the top 10 things I want to do.

As far as the electric sound they make. That really interest me. That would be a pleasure to experience.

Take care

new topics

top topics

join