It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I old-School?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Am i the only one that likes old 80s rock? like Bryan Adams, Whitesnake, Guns N' Roses, Def Leopard, Van Halen, Steve Miller band, Tom Petty, and J. Geils Band just to name a few.

So tell me am i Old-School?

(edit) And if you dont know who those are i guess i am old school

[Edited on 6-7-2004 by NinjaoftheNight]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Old school isnt only about the music, but about the attitude and the image... for example i love old school punk (sex pistols, Ramones, the clash etc etc) but i'm not by any means old school coz i dont fress or act like the old school punkers i just enjoy their music...

For the record alot of my friends like 80's rock as well,

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I mean like oldschool in taste of music
... personally i think all the bands above are way better than have the # that is put out today and called music.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by NinjaoftheNight
I mean like oldschool in taste of music
... personally i think all the bands above are way better than have the # that is put out today and called music.

well if its purely from a musical sense, yes yes you are... i tend to agree with you there, late 90's onwards music just got crap... occasionally a good song will hit the airwaves but thats very rare and its usually a one off fluke...

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Don�t forget Billy Squire. I got to see him play many years ago; Def Leopard was his opening act.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
i tend to agree with you there, late 90's onwards music just got crap... occasionally a good song will hit the airwaves but thats very rare and its usually a one off fluke...

This is why i dont buy CDs now.... no band puts out more than 1 or 2 good songs (their singles most of the time) and the rest of the album is filler. Thus i download several different "contemperary" bands good songs and burn em together for a halfway deccent CD. However i would and did go out and pay my $12 for GnR's Appetite for Destruction CD because every song on that album rocks hard core and theres no filler. Pisses me off!

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
The funny thing is i think im the only person that drives a Import ricer and goes to car shows and car club meetings blasting Tom Petty's Mary Janes Last Dance. That song rocks the house more than any rap song about some "brothas" phat whip could ever dream of.

(edit) now dont get me wrong, I listen to some rap but most of it is the afore mentioned garbage.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Ninja-

You rock. Steve Miller Band for life. Im into "old school" music of sorts as well, but Im not one to be called "old school" seeing as Im emo friendly and cant get enough ska...which is dead...and old...so thats kinda old school...DAG YO!

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Just went to my 20th class reunion last week , they played all the hits from 80-84 . WE ARE OLD SCHOOL !!!!

But what fun it was remembering where you were , what mischief you were causing , that girl that was shutting you off in the back of her dads Caddy ( I still dream of you Michelle...) when you hear those songs ,

Good times !!! AC/DC , Def , GnR , Meatloaf , Journey , Styx , Aerosmith ....... on and on and on and on....

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Am i the only one that likes old 80s rock? like Bryan Adams, Whitesnake, Guns N' Roses, Def Leopard, Van Halen, Steve Miller band, Tom Petty, and J. Geils Band just to name a few.

So tell me am i Old-School?

(edit) And if you dont know who those are i guess i am old school

definitely old-school, all the bands you mentioned are more one hit wonders and shouldn't have gone anywhere. Bryan Adams was the only one there that sang more than one descent song. (ie: back to you, summer of 69, and the Spirit album) The only song whitesnake sang was "here I go again." The only reason I know that is because I went to a Scorpions concert that had whitesnake as an opening band. Van Halen - "Jump", Def Leopard - "pour some sugar" etc.

The rest of the bands mentioned I have heard of, but the songs didn't appeal to me. It was probably bad lyrics, bad vocals, bad background music or a combination of the three.

For old songs check out some songs by a descent band like "Dire Straits - Sultans of swing, brothers in arms, lady writer, it never rains, tunnel of love, romeo and juliet, etc)

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I must the only one who dives to the local dance clubs dressed in my finest pick up gear blasting rock'n'roll high school, or anarchy... whilst everyone else has their tupac, dre, or some eurotrash dance music...

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I've got friend thats a huge Queen and Motley Crue fan, I just smile and nod.

Not that he thinks the music I like is any betters. Velvet Acid Christ 4tehwin!

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Nope, you have good taste. Guns N Roses, best in 80s metal. Best in metal period. I still can't get over the people who love Nirvana, and hate GNR.

I am into all music fron 1990 and beyond. 60s,70s, and 80s are where my music's from. The Doors, Billy Joel, Guns N Roses, Jimmy Buffet, Boston, Queen, Motley Crue, Rolling Stones, Meatloaf, Styx.........

I hate all new music, for some reason, hate everying my friends like, System of a Down, blink 182, Nirvana, I hate them all.

I'm living in the past with music, I'll never get out.

Best music came from those times, good music.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   

The funny thing is i think im the only person that drives a Import ricer and goes to car shows and car club meetings blasting Tom Petty's Mary Janes Last Dance.

LMAO... Yeah, that must be pretty funny to see. I just listenned to the song, and I was almost rolling on the floor picturing my self an old guy arriving to a car meeting, with a riced up Honda, blasting Mary Janes Last Dance lol...

But you get props from me for being old and still being interested in car tuning, and NOT being afraid of listenning to what you like, and doing it loud. For that, you are old-school, and you get respect from me "brotha"

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Your not old school, your a FREAK!! Lmao Just playing. How can anyone like the 80s?

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Cause the 80s had some of the best in metal? GNR, Crue, it was a time when music was about sex and drugs not about teen angst like today.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I never did get the whole 'old school' deal? Is it just an psudo elitist trip? If someone who likes The Talking Heads or Public Enemy or The Buzzcocks is old school then is a Beatles fan Older school, is an old Irish jig a one room school house? Am I making no sense again?

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Jeez! I listen to that same music.
I wouldn't consider myself oldschool at all. I was born in the wonder year of 1988! Thats right, only 15 years old

How ironic, guess what song im listening to right now!

Thats right, its: The Joker by Steve Miller Band.

I would say I have pretty good musical taste for a 15 year old kid growing up in the heart of Canada.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid

The funny thing is i think im the only person that drives a Import ricer and goes to car shows and car club meetings blasting Tom Petty's Mary Janes Last Dance.

LMAO... Yeah, that must be pretty funny to see. I just listenned to the song, and I was almost rolling on the floor picturing my self an old guy arriving to a car meeting, with a riced up Honda, blasting Mary Janes Last Dance lol...

But you get props from me for being old and still being interested in car tuning, and NOT being afraid of listenning to what you like, and doing it loud. For that, you are old-school, and you get respect from me "brotha"

AHAHHAHAHA now the funny thing is i thought everyone knew i am only 17 O.o roofles. However there is a woman who goes to these afore mentioned activities in her 87 camaro. It has a supercharged 450 in it which boasts a loud 550 horse power..... And yes she still uses aqua net
I tell ya tho i still get those kind of looks when i drive up

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   
[quote[How ironic, guess what song im listening to right now!

Thats right, its: The Joker by Steve Miller Band.

I would say I have pretty good musical taste for a 15 year old kid growing up in the heart of Canada.

You sure do, my friend. EXCELLENT CHOICE! Steve Miller Band has to be my personal favorite of the era.

Nope, you have good taste. Guns N Roses, best in 80s metal. Best in metal period. I still can't get over the people who love Nirvana, and hate GNR.

Well, no problem man! I hate both!!!!!!!

OK, I changed my mind, I don't HATE both, let's just say I'd rather spend m $15 on a Operation Ivy album than on a GnR and especially Nirvana album.

For old songs check out some songs by a descent band like "Dire Straits - Sultans of swing, brothers in arms, lady writer, it never rains, tunnel of love, romeo and juliet, etc)

Ahhh, Dire Straits! Lovely! I've got the alchemy album and a few live ones, in mint condition, I might add (I'm such an ego maniac when it comes to my vinyls!).

i tend to agree with you there, late 90's onwards music just got crap... occasionally a good song will hit the airwaves but thats very rare and its usually a one off fluke...

90s?!?! I loved the 90's! Sure, most bands only had one or two good songs, but they were so good. Ahh! I'm having a flashback! Wallflowers, Savage Garden, Smashing Pumpkins, Eve 6, Supersonic, Rob Zombie, AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join