It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light = Dark?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I understand that science is firmly set that the universe is moving at increased speeds due to dark matter or "something". Is it at all possible that this something is light itself?

I understand that nothing travels faster than light, though I could be missing some details here but at least that's what we were taught in school when I last attended
I also know that light has the remarkable ability to push against matter. Light is one of the most curious things we know based on it's properties. It can act as a particle and a wave. Its also probably the most basic corrosive we know.

So if light has the ability to push against objects, and nothing is faster than light, wouldnt it be safe to say that the very first thing in existance was light? If this is true, wouldnt it also be possible that light itself is pushing against all things and perhaps itself to cause things to push apart at an accelerated rate? For such a big bang, it seems that it would have had to put off some serious amounts of light.

This also brings up another question. If nothing is faster than light, how did the empty space fill up with stars? Seems like the stars would have to fill into something, but that would have to exist before the light. Gah! Mind blowing!

Does that mean Time = light? Light faster than time?

BANG-----------------------------We are here-----------------Farthest Matter----------------------------------------First Light.

Could light be the original byproduct of the Big Decay, still pushing against all matter today and far beyond in a preset future? Preset by the great light emiting copy machine that we call light? This could mean that all things writes its own history in time since its first existance.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
yeah i guess light is expanding the universe theory. Interesting concept i wish i was more knowledgeable about things of this nature to help you out but coming from an uneducated view point of the inter-working of the universe i sadly can not. But its a reasonable conclusion to me so you get a star. Ps this puts a whole new spin on sun worshiping you heathen lol

edit on 26-12-2010 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Time is relative to the speed of light. The faster you go, your time stays the same while the time on earth would go much faster.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

Few days ago I saw a docu about stephen hawkins universe, something like that.
A timeline would look like this:

BIG BANG ---- NO LIGHT JUST MATTER (dark one and normal) ---- DARK MATTER AND NORMAL REDUCE THEMSELFS (many expolsions = light) ---- NORMAL MATTER STAYS ....

He says that at first there was no light. The explosions occure later in timeline
But as you see, I´m not a scientist.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   

theRhenn,

In a singularity light and dark are the same. It is only until you apply duality through our 4-D time-space construct that it becomes either one or the other but in essence they will always be different sides of the same coin................

Obviously I have no idea what I am talking about. You should ask Astyanax, he is the man to ask these sort of things!!!

This is always such mindblowing stuff. S+F for your thread.

Peace

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

I believe the increase in the expansion of the universe has to do with dark energy the speed is increasing
dark matter has to do with the idea that a large percentage of the universe is missing yet the mass is still influencing the objects that are detectable
this documentary can probably explain it better then i can right now.

What ever dark mater is its undetectable just like dark energy. Light However is within the range of the detectable electromagnetic spectrum with lower wave lengths bellow light such as infra red, microwaves, and radio waves and higher frequency waves above visible light such as ultra violet light, x-rays, and gamma rays.
There are some scientist that believe that dark matter is not real and the standard model of gravity needs to be re-examined. There are many theories in this speculative field.
the EM specture
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 26-12-2010 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Who says nothing is faster than light ??

Perhaps in mainstream science's limited understanding.

However the riddle of the universe hasn't been solved yet because one cannot utlize physical principles to define multi-dimensional non-physical phenomena.

is the universe being expanded by light ?? .... imo. No.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ohiotim2112

actually wouldn't it be something that if speed of light as we perceive it was dependent on the vibrational intensity of the light ?

red shift as observed by Hubble says that the further a galaxy is the faster it is receding and that is why it is redshifted, red vibrating at a higher frequency than blue in our spectrum of vision.

if it wasn't for Newton, Einstein and Hubble would have had to wait a little longer for someone to expand on his research.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d3a40d3c1770.jpg[/atsimg]

could it be that the speed of light is dependent on it's intensity/vibration ?

afterall we only know one observable light (our sun) by which we base our measurements and spectrum of vision from.

edit on 12/26/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

Who says nothing is faster than light ??

Perhaps in mainstream science's limited understanding.

However the riddle of the universe hasn't been solved yet because one cannot utlize physical principles to define multi-dimensional non-physical phenomena.

is the universe being expanded by light ?? .... imo. No.

maybe the secret is that we live in a 'time almost standing still' state ? as we have observed alot of galaxies supposedly have a black-hole at their center, could we then be experiencing an almost standing still state or slowed down being near to an event horizon.

time could be nearing standing still and we are light consciousness becoming aware of this ?

I always think backwards... and I love stuff like this topic

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   

light also has particals that pass through all mater known to us, (solid and otherwise) mabey its posible these particals could take a tiny fragment of the mater they pass through with them. adding to the corosive effect by stripping atoms, molicules and or minerals and perhaps causeing a so called mini fusion reaction useing said fusion as mabey a 'fuel' to continue its path in space time. we know (or think) that they don't stop there linier path. if i remember corecly there is a huge facility under paris where they collect these particals and put them on an accelerated collision coarse to create microscopic black holes. and another facility in alaska deep underground in frozen tundra where all they do is measure said matter as it pass's through there instruments.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ohiotim2112
Time is relative to the speed of light. The faster you go, your time stays the same while the time on earth would go much faster.

At the start of nothing, you have light that in essense, destroys or decays the darkness. Time is an imaginary line that we measure something with. Did time exist before the bang? Something had to take place there. Why did it happen at one point in time and not another? So time is absolute untill there is nothing. Could time be or be effected by the ripples of this initial explosion? ... and we're riding the crest, so to speak!

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by GunsInBothHands

light also has particals that pass through all mater known to us, (solid and otherwise) mabey its posible these particals could take a tiny fragment of the mater they pass through with them. adding to the corosive effect by stripping atoms, molicules and or minerals and perhaps causeing a so called mini fusion reaction useing said fusion as mabey a 'fuel' to continue its path in space time. we know (or think) that they don't stop there linier path.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/450d899296aa.jpg[/atsimg]

Imagine if you will, that in the whole universe, if we could see all light as it currently is... The darker little patch to the left might be our "known universe", unable to see the intense light spectrums of whats going on around it. Or darker.. if that mass is decaying, releasing all of it's light.

All existance has a perfect xray history of their entire life, mirrored from a backlit sky. Time is that ripple that spans off into the unknown with that one moment etched in perpetual permanancy. We are but a speck of what we really know.

Sorry, I watched and played with alot of fireworks as a kid
Im glad GOD doesnt have a habbit of blowing up ant hills! (Crosses fingers)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I love the "what if's"

I never really thought about if light could be causing the expansion of the universe... stuff does not always have to be based in logic of observable or established science, for how then would we discover new ways of thinking outside the box ?

s&f for sure !

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn

I understand that nothing travels faster than light.....

This also brings up another question. If nothing is faster than light, how did the empty space fill up with stars?

Cherenkov Radiation, Neutrino's, Muon's, there's lots of things we're finding lately that are faster than light.

Light is a wave length that propagates across a medium. There is NO medium in space for light waves to propagate across. They are PUSHED out from Stars and ride other emissions from those Star's which we can't see. Light would slow you down when traveling...if you can avoid it you would go faster.

I think it's 20th Century thought to still think Light Speed is a top speed, when in fact it's resistance.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

I believe quarks are also said to travel faster than the speed of light ?

most of the labs that are trying to establish this are buried deep in the earth, If there is a particle that is able to travel faster than light, would it be detectable...
edit on 12/26/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

red shift as observed by Hubble says that the further a galaxy is the faster it is receding and that is why it is redshifted, red vibrating at a higher frequency than blue in our spectrum of vision.

i

Ooops!! I think you got confused between frequency and wavelength. Red is a lower frequency but longer wavelength than blue. Blue has a frequency of about 650 THz, which corresponds, using the formula f=c/lambda to a wavelength of about 460nm. Red light has an f of about 440THz and a lambda of about 635nm. Visualize red shift as a stretching of the waveform between the emitter and the receiver, stretching the wavelength into the longer red.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Interesting post. Fun!

I understand that science is firmly set that the universe is moving at increased speeds due to dark matter or "something".

Hmmmm...but how can we tell if the universe is moving? What do we use to measure against?
If we're all expanding together wouldn't it be imperceptible?
Isn't it kind of asking where "up" is in outer space?

I understand that nothing travels faster than light, though I could be missing some details here...

True. "Nothing" does travel faster than light...

Nothing can be a confusing un-concept. For instance, the duality something/nothing exists only in contrast to a background something whose essence is even subtler than nothing.
Let's call this greater lessness Nothingness.
(Our binary language is great for this and that but not the other thing.)

Nothingness is NOT an empty lack of something but a portal to the potential possibility[\i] of anything.

Originally posted by theRhennSo if light has the ability to push against objects, and nothing is faster than light, wouldnt it be safe to say that the very first thing in existance was light?

No. Without potential emptiness poised on the edge of its seat waiting for light to fall, no one would be in the universal forest to hear it. Where does dark go when light arrives?
Can you carry either or both in a bucket?

Consciousness is the only thing faster than light, but it's a no-thing.
The Nothingness that's more than everything.

Fascinating. Thanks for the post.
I enjoy thinking about beginning and end of everything.
Because it seems kind of impossible.
Reality appears to be smaller timelines making up an ultimately universal meta-cyclic spiral.
The automagickal perhapsibilities are endless!

And darkness is just old light.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by 4nsicphd

cool, thanks for the correction... I knew I messed that up somewhere trying to post to type what I was trying to convey. I am now going to have to look into this further because it is something I have always been interested in "the construction of light"

it sounded cool though

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacegod
Interesting post. Fun!

I understand that science is firmly set that the universe is moving at increased speeds due to dark matter or "something".

Hmmmm...but how can we tell if the universe is moving? What do we use to measure against?
If we're all expanding together wouldn't it be imperceptible?
Isn't it kind of asking where "up" is in outer space?

if the Big Bang theory is correct then there would be an apparent 'center of the universe' in which to base our reference from... that point which we are moving outward and away from.

I also do agree 'Up' in relation would be irrelevant... only if we were using charts for navigation but it would be called something else.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

So this would just mean more spectrums of what we call light. Maybe in essence, it's the expansion of energy from a single point and the visible form of it is called light. Visible with the eye.. Visible with our current technology... Its the invisible we can only speculate about. Its reasonable to believe that something existed outside of that light. Perhaps the raw building blocks of our universe, frozen without time.

This leads me to wonder about another property of light vs time. Waves

If light also acts as a wave, you could call these other forms of radiation closer to what existed when everything began. The afterglow is more less closer to the origin than anything we can detect currently. Light pierces, pushes, and breaks down matter, but its visible light that curves naturaly through space around gravity. Am I correct in saying this?

Could this also mean that black holes are really just really DARK matter, the stuff that light cant pierce through? Maybe it's the gravitational swing around such massive suns that outshines light, that causes it to reflect visibility of us being able to see it. Even so great that radiations we can see also fail. But we can see the jets comming from them at their poles, in many cases. Perhaps thats where the light eminating is greater than the light reaching it, causing a negative light zone. Anti Light beams anyone?

ok maybe thats pushing it a lil. My knowledge of light stops prior to that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join