It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light = Dark?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by spacegod

Excellent points!

That kinda reminds me of the universe being formless and void. It only took a spark of light. Some silent little prick of something to expose the lifes blood of what we know as light.

Two multiverse sized dark asteroids smashing into one another for the first or millionth time?

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

whats really a kicker is Hubble... the redshift says everything is flying away from us and everything else, why on earth would those men of old appear to have known this and quaintly penned it down as earth being the center of the universe "as observed"

locating this center of the universe or point of origin of the big bang would appear possible via the redshift...
edit on 12/26/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

that would just mean that everything is moving away from ongoing sources of light.. like other stars

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

you mean like light pushing light then ?

if there was a big bang, there would have to be a point of origin...

if there was a point of developing conscience as we know it, that point would have to be on earth.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
gotta love when Heavy Metal was more philosophical, sometimes I wonder what has become of he world now a days lol. Dig them there lyrics...

There's no present, there's no future
I don't even know about the past
It's all timeless and never ending
And for me to think it's all too vast

It goes forever and ever
You thought you knew but you never
There goes tomorrow
Journey to the center of eternity

The time is coming, but also going
And it's leaving never to return
It may be heaven, could be forever
But if it's hell then you can watch me burn

It goes forever and ever
There goes tomorrow

I've got to travel forever
It's all within my mind
An endless path to endeavor
Forever is a long, long time

There's no secrets and no corruption
In the center of infinity
There's no limits to non-existence
And no beginning to my destiny

It goes forever and ever
There goes tomorrow

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Right. Light pushing against everything, itself also. The original force or light would be largely gone, perhaps on the otter most parts of the actual universe. If we are still in the newness of the universe, other sources of lesser light have the same effect on their surroundings and far off surroundings. Lower wavelengths of light could form deep vibrations that could warp and wave the very fabric of empty space itself. Heh, could the very nature of light possibly warp itself?

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn

Right. Light pushing against everything, itself also. The original force or light would be largely gone, perhaps on the otter most parts of the actual universe. If we are still in the newness of the universe, other sources of lesser light have the same effect on their surroundings and far off surroundings. Lower wavelengths of light could form deep vibrations that could warp and wave the very fabric of empty space itself. Heh, could the very nature of light possibly warp itself?

all I know is that the light shines in the darkness and the darkness can not comprehend the light... In other words the nature of light could appear warped to the darkness but the light understands its nature well enough...

makes me think of another song
by Pink Floyd... Shine on you Crazy Diamond !

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact
reply to post by 4nsicphd

cool, thanks for the correction... I knew I messed that up somewhere trying to post to type what I was trying to convey. I am now going to have to look into this further because it is something I have always been interested in "the construction of light"

it sounded cool though

If you really want to delve deply into light and other photons, find a copy of Richard Feynman's book, Quantum electrodynamics. Be prepared for some serious math, though.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4nsicphd
Quantum electrodynamics. Be prepared for some serious math, though.

whoa ! that is some serious math for sure, I guess if I tried I could wrap my brain around it...

I did see this series of videos though when they first came out and now I own the series, I own alot of BBC material, documentaries and such... though I wonder if any of their youth are actually watching them sometimes or if ever.

here ya go...

"Light Fantastic"
edit on 12/28/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
cool video. I wish they would have shown us stuff in school like this. It's the basics of this kind of knowledge that kept my intrests when I was a kid..teen. Now you dont get to the skinny of it untill you've taken a full semester of something in a university.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact
reply to post by ohiotim2112

actually wouldn't it be something that if speed of light as we perceive it was dependent on the vibrational intensity of the light ?

red shift as observed by Hubble says that the further a galaxy is the faster it is receding and that is why it is redshifted, red vibrating at a higher frequency than blue in our spectrum of vision.

if it wasn't for Newton, Einstein and Hubble would have had to wait a little longer for someone to expand on his research.

could it be that the speed of light is dependent on it's intensity/vibration ?

afterall we only know one observable light (our sun) by which we base our measurements and spectrum of vision from.

edit on 12/26/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

actually wouldn't it be something that if speed of light as we perceive it was dependent on the vibrational intensity of the light ?

You are sort of right. Light does travel in different wavelengths but the speed of light would remain the same.
Some light such as ultraviolet and infrared we can not see because the wavelenghts are different than the visible wavelengths of light we can see. But the speed of the light stays the same.

red shift as observed by Hubble says that the further a galaxy is the faster it is receding and that is why it is redshifted, red vibrating at a higher frequency than blue in our spectrum of vision.

Also known as the Doppler effect or Doppler shift. Since blue light has a higher frequency than red light, the spectral lines of an approaching astronomical light source exhibit a blue shift and those of a receding astronomical light source exhibit a redshift. This was known before the Hubble telescope.

if it wasn't for Newton, Einstein and Hubble would have had to wait a little longer for someone to expand on his research.

Lets not forget about Copernicus, Kepler, Hubble, Galileo, Herschel

could it be that the speed of light is dependent on it's intensity/vibration ?

No. The speed of light is a basically a constant. (At least for this discussion.)

Here are some other threads from other members that you may find interesting:

Newer info about the Bing Bang and how it may have always and probably will continue to keep happening:

Bing Bang Thread

Questions and theories about light to consider:

Light Physics

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ohiotim2112
Time is relative to the speed of light. The faster you go, your time stays the same while the time on earth would go much faster.

At the start of nothing, you have light that in essense, destroys or decays the darkness. Time is an imaginary line that we measure something with. Did time exist before the bang? Something had to take place there. Why did it happen at one point in time and not another? So time is absolute untill there is nothing. Could time be or be effected by the ripples of this initial explosion? ... and we're riding the crest, so to speak!

I replied to this with the link of the Bing Bang above.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I'm there dude, I'm there

thanks for the cool topic links...

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

Who says nothing is faster than light ??

Perhaps in mainstream science's limited understanding.

However the riddle of the universe hasn't been solved yet because one cannot utlize physical principles to define multi-dimensional non-physical phenomena.

is the universe being expanded by light ?? .... imo. No.

I would say energy transfer travels faster than light, like an electron bounded to another electron milions of light years away would react in an instance. Maybe that is what dark matter is, just a bunch of energy, some form of electrons.
edit on 29-12-2010 by pepsi78 because: (no reason given)

Here it is. In an instance.

edit on 29-12-2010 by pepsi78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
I would say energy transfer travels faster than light, like an electron bounded to another electron milions of light years away would react in an instance. Maybe that is what dark matter is, just a bunch of energy, some form of electrons.

Ive heard this before, but I do not understand how it's possible for this to happen. How have we come to this conclusion? Ive seen the statements of this, but could anyone shed some light on how this is known? This is definatly an interesting scenerio.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

This is kinda hard to catch on to. I understand the concept, but I dont understand how the speed you're traveling should effect time. It still seems that time is just an imaginary thing, representing emptyness and how fast you can get from one place to the next. A measurment of something, if you will, but without substance, mass, visibility or exsistance other than perception.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

It is a question mark for me too, many things are, it use to get my intrest, it got me to the conclusion that energy travels faster than light, worm holes work on this theory. It's not really traveling but transfer.
Say you got a button, a power switch to a device, and the device is wierd with a cable to the power switch, only that the device is very far away let's say the power switch is where the earth is and the device where the sun is, switching the power switch will beat the light speed of 8 seconds that takes light to reach earth from the sun, the device will start in an instance because you got energy on that cable, electricity. So if we could find methods of transfering things as energy then we could travel faster than light. Why travel at the speed of light when you can just transfer things as in energy. Energy just is, since it already is like a network it reacts in an instance.
It just is..is faster than light and this can be explained, say for example someone does something to get your atention, you react in an instance, sort of connected, it's the bond the link between energy patterns, a link between point a and point b will take an instance as long as there is energy between the two points like a bond.
Why travel when you can transfer your self
thru the energy paterns, sonds far fetched but it's true.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78

Ive heard this before, but I do not understand how it's possible for this to happen. How have we come to this conclusion? Ive seen the statements of this, but could anyone shed some light on how this is known? This is definatly an interesting scenerio.

I think part of your problem might arise from the imprecise use of the word "energy" by pepsi. Strictly speaking, energy is a thermodynamic quantity equivalent to the capacity of a physical system to do work. What is happening with entangled particles (not bound electrons, by the way) is more an information transfer and not an energy transfer. What happens with electrons is that, according to the Pauli exclusion principle, no 2 fermions (half integer spin particles like electrons, proton, and neutrons can have two identical quantum numbers which are the numbers that describe the state of the particle. The first three numbers describe the spatial description while the fourth describes an orientation of inherent angular momentum, which for no particular good reason was called spin. The result is that if you have two electrons in an atom which have the same principal, orbital and magnetic quantum number, their spin number must be different. And if the spin number of one of these "paired"
(and not "bound" electrons change, then the spin number of the other instantaneously changes, regardless of the distance between the fermions. It's what Einstein called a "spooky action at a distance." This principle helps lay the foundation for the electron buildup of the periodic table and explains neutron degeneracy leading to neutron stars and electron degeneracy leading to the collapse of stars o the white dwarf stage. As far as "why it happens" goes, physics describes the whats and hows of the natural world but not always the whys. But we know Schrodinger's wave equation works, and for that to happen, Pauli must have been right.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join