It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What am i Seeing every night in the sky?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Reetio people, Im not trying to pull the wool over you eyes and definately arnt trying to troll.
However practically every night i go out for a smoke (A ciggarette, Ive never smoked funky baccy in my life) and i see this star, from where im looking from my back porch its the brightest in the Sky, But i swear i can see something above it, ive got good eyesight and need to see it with Binoculars sometimes but it seems like a small Cylindrical Object with a Red light at the base, Behind yet just above the star.
Now i dont have any Camera that can take a picture of it, it probably requires Zoom or high definition.
So forgive this ridiculasly crude scetch of what im seeing, Below:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d57b6cc2f929.jpg[/atsimg]
I live in England, And relative to me this star is South-South-west As the night goes on.
I dont proclaim to have any knowledge of the stars whatwoever, So for all arguments sake i could probably be seeing Mars

But i was just wondering if any-one else had seen this sort of thing in the sky, Obviously it would be in a different area of the sky depending On where you live, But yeah any queries?

Again forgive the Crudeness and simplicity of my post

~Ted
edit on 23/12/10 by TedHodgson because: Cows

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Umm?... I don't know stars? Maybe the moon? An occasional plane in the distance?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
It is probably Jupiter, and if you live away from a population center or there is not much light polution, the other one right next to it is Uranus. They have been visible and moving in a sort of unison lately.

You can confirm it, if on the left of it you see Orion's belt and Sirius following closely behind.

Sirius is easy to spot as it always follows the three most recognizable stars in the northern sky, Sirius is the brightest star seen on earth, so anything burning brighter than sirius are usually, Jupiter, Mars or Venus.

But currently Jupiter has been the one everyone notices in the sky.
edit on 23/12/10 by AnotherYOU because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I can only think of it being Jupiter, its been very visible for months now although it wont be for much longer as it moves away again. Earlier in the year Uranus was visible just behind Jupiter, but im not sure (from your description) if its that what your seeing as its very hard to see without a telescope or good binoculars.

May i suggest you download Stellarium its free and a very good tool to have while viewing the sky.
edit on 23/12/2010 by Catch_a_Fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Defiantly a planet though! No question about that.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I fecking hope its jupiter
Thank god somone knows something about planets, Yeah ive got no Light pollution here, Clear skys most of the time.
I treid working stellarium but i lose interest in fIDDLY programs very quickly

Your probably right with Jupiter.
I just thought id mention it with all this stuff going on about cylindrical objects in the Sky

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

Can someone confirm to me that that really bright rectangle shaped thing i see all the time, especially in the morning is the int. space station.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

To be honest thats what i thought what im seeing was the I,S,S but, yeah what im seeing is sort of rectangular as well

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Regarding Stellarium, enter your co-ords (use GE) and it will become so much more easy to understand. We're from the same neck of the woods almost and Jupiter moves from south to south west, you wouldnt believe how many people have wondered what it is.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

The latest version of stellarium has a layer for sattelites, the ISS is one of the included, try checking it on the program to see if it matches what you can see.

The light pollution here is too great for me to ever bother looking for the ISS.
edit on 23/12/10 by AnotherYOU because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

The ISS would pass in minutes, your lucky to get a good glimpse of it usually.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I think I'm seeing the same one every morning around 4:30 am only it's in the East. (Southern USA - Memphis, TN) One morning a couple of weeks ago I was stumbling through the house (half-awake) without the lights on and had to do a double-take, cause I thought for a second that someone was in the yard with a flashlight. It's really a big star/planet. Pretty cool

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I usually see the ISS every night when its clear out. Looks like a star but visibly moves, albeit very slowly.
Taking a guess, probably the iss.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
It's just Jupiter and Uranus, just looked out now and there they are

Took a Stellarium screenshot too. I see the same as you, just further up North.

files.abovetopsecret.com...

Damn, too big to see it properly and I don't know how to add scroll bars, so I've just put the link for you to go looksie

edit on 23/12/10 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
There are over 13,000 satellites currently orbiting the planet. Here is a video and a real time link from Google earths application. Once you see what that amount actually looks like it's pretty scary if you ask me.

www.youtube.com...

www.gearthblog.com...
edit on 23-12-2010 by MathiasAndrew because: i meant 13, 000 not 1300

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Either Jupiter/Uranus, or Sirius?
As for the rectangle, I have no idea.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

it looks like a satelite

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
because of the serious air pollution that we can seldom see any star in the sky every time when i look into the sky it always seem that there are something burning so the sky are always in the red colour

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

I live in New Jersey I have been seeing the same thing for over 2 weeks, showed a neighbor just so i wouldnt think I was nuts, and just tonight could not take it anymore and found this site to ask questions and see if anyone else sees it. It looks like a bright star, has a tail like thing, and shoots lines every so often, i looked with binoculars and still couldnt make it out, it scars me. it is not a star, i say some sort of station maybe a huge camera for google earth? would love to know answers!!!

top topics

join