It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea threatens to attack South over Christmas lights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Seasonal goodwill is in short supply on the divided Korean peninsula, where both sides are again at potentially deadly loggerheads – over a Christmas tree.

North Korea's military is reportedly preparing to shoot down a floodlit tower decorated with Christmas lights which overlooks the border near the South's capital, Seoul – home to millions of Christians.

The provincial governor, Kim Moon-soo, has warned that firing at the tree would be a reckless and "provocative" act. The South's Defence Minister was more blunt. "We'll retaliate decisively to take out the source of any shelling," Kim Kwan-jin told parliament yesterday. South Korea's Yonhap news agency said fighter jets were on standby, ready to strike back.

The 100ft tower, decorated with 100,000 light bulbs and topped with a cross, stands on the border and can be seen for miles inside North Korea, where power cuts are the norm

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
oh they're just jealous, we should send them an endless barrage of pretty lights so they can be part of the celebration

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
There was just a thread on this yesterday www.abovetopsecret.com...

Little Kimmy is like the grinch looking down on Whoville only he is looking at the tree...LOL

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The DPRK must be very jealous, and very annoyed of their southern cousins, over such a bright set of Christmas lights.

Could this be a catalyst for more clashes?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Someone should tell NK to grow the # up.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
i can see why he would through such a fit. kim doesnt see any christmas gifts for him under that tree. how would you feel? jokin.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
South Korean General: 'Ahh... what is good way to totally piss off owr neighbah into wrecklessly attacking so we can anhialiate the feeble commies??'

United States Foreign Diplomat: 'I know! ...We'll set up "a floodlit tower decorated with Christmas lights which overlooks the border" !'

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
North Korea is a joke.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ironfalcon

Can North Korea get any more RETARDED? I'm just speechless on this one...wtf?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by DisturbedToo

Can North Korea get any more RETARDED? I'm just speechless on this one...wtf?

It's not a christmas tree. It's a metal tower with 100,000 light bulbs on it with a big cross on the top.

It's not meant for the people of South Korea where it's located, they can't see it and enjoy it. It's intended to pee off North Korea showing them the christian holy war is coming for them.

If we truly were concerned about religious freedom we'd be bombing Saudi Arabia as they are still chopping the heads off of Christians and Jews they catch in their country. Not even wacky North Korea is doing that.

So why aren't we concerned with Saudi Arabia killing Christians and Jews? You need their oil to light up a stupid metal tower next to North Korea.
edit on 23-12-2010 by Pervius because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
This is usual behavior from NK.... If someone sneezes in SK the North threatens war. It could have been a sign that read "Happy holidays North Koren We love you !" and the North would threaten war for such provocative acts

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
So many foolish people on this thread, who underestimate N.Korea.

As the above member mentioned, this is not a holy symbol, this is a deliberate provocation, designed to insult or antagonise the N.Koreans.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Possibly, the display of massive amounts of lights is also a sign of disrespect to the N. Koreans. They live in much poverty, and would see that as a big waste, and a slap in the face at the same time.

I'm not defending NK, but it seems like the media is making NK seem like they're totally at fault. Do we not remember, that the original retaliation was because of SK mistake? Granted, NK went way too far when targetting civilian locations. They're also being blamed for the sinking of a SK submarine, which they seem to reputedly deny; in light of a lot of things I've read and learned I kind of think NK is telling the truth about not sinking the Cheonan, who did it? still up in the air, in my opinion.

All sides are hot headed, demanding respect, yet, not giving any. It doesn't help when the media totally portrays NK as evil/childish too, thats just more reason for them to be pissed/uptight? i dunno.. it's not justified, but that seems to be how it is. Any recognized country should not be underestimated, and should not be called names. This is a whole country, not a street, a town, a city or state.. a COUNTRY. They apparently know enough to establish themselves internationally (somewhat), albeit they're poor as hell.. but they gotta know at least a little about what they're doing. NK seems military centric, they might not win a war, but as a last resort, I'm sure they can do plenty of damage before saying 'bye'.

The war machine is moving, but who's really at the wheel?
edit on 23-12-2010 by acidsweep because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-12-2010 by acidsweep because: (no reason given)

top topics

join