It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US press should fear being targeted: Assange (MSNBC Video Interview Dec. 22 2010 )

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Julian Assange issues warning to journalists

Source

"If they want to push the line that when a newspaperman talks to someone in the government about looking for things relating to potential abuses, that that is a conspiracy to commit espionage, then that's going to take out all the good government journalism that occurs in the United States," he said.

"Whoever the terrorists are here, it's not us," Assange said. "But we see constant threats from people... calling for my assassination, calling for the illegal kidnapping of my staff.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Source

edit on 22-12-2010 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime."
Potter Stewart

Assange on MSNBC Dec. 22 2010

Dec. 22 2010

kind of ironic that this is going on as the FCC makes a major power grab for control of the internet, of course for OUR safety...m­eanwhile D.C. is broke...bo­th parties are screwing us....RON PAUL was the first member of congress to publicly support wikileaks mission, Paul is always the enlightene­d one, always on the side of freedom and liberty...

Merry christmas ATSers.

Related1
Relate d2

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
That is a great interview. He makes a lot of valid points. S&F

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Well spoken, intelligently articulated, and spot on.

Looks like hes getting better at interviews. Im impressed by MSNBC

S&F

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I'm glad he got interviewed by Cenk Uygur as well. Does anybody else watch The Young Turks?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Great find, great interview.

Assange is a journalist, editor, publisher. His persecution is about freedom of speech and freedom of the press.

And if he doesn't have those rights and freedoms, neither does anyone else.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I agree with you, no doubts about. And this interview is one of his best.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
He makes valid points.

The most important one is about people starting to wonder what sort of country the USA actually is.

Its somewhat ironic the behaviour of the US and US politicians is doing more damage to the image of the country than anything so far released by wikileaks.

Is it legal in the USA to call for somebodies murder on air? If you don't like 'person x' is it ok to hold a rally, or a broadcast saying person x should be illegally murdered? I'm pretty sure thats illegal in the UK.

If its legal, weird but ok. If its illegal why is huckabee not under investigation? Do you get a free pass if you're a pundit?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

The most important one is about people starting to wonder what sort of country the USA actually is.

No offense to whom thinks the contrary, but democracy is in danger in the U.S. and worldwide.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

I agree with you and I wouldn't had you asked me a year ago.

It worries me greatly for the future.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

As i always like to say, change is good.

Bradley does not deserve what is happening to him. I do not know if any human deserves this. This guy will never have a healthy mind again.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
His turning the table on the label 'terrorist' is spot on.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I live in the US and I try to stay very active in politics (because a lot going on here worries me) but I have to be honest - I don't know WHAT is going on here.

I think Houdini is in charge.
We have had nothing if not a huge mostly successful attempt at redirection on the whole Wikileaks fiasco.
If I go out on the street today, and talk to 100 people, maybe **1** might have accurate facts on the case, and will MAYBE know something they've heard in the media about one of the actual cables themselves.

It is not legal to incite murder in the US and at the very least it looks like some FCC regulations have been broken. Maybe some of us need to complain along that route. I don't know.

Dyncorp is getting by with pedophilia again, the Sales Dept -uh, I mean State Dept, is getting by with conspiring to starve 250 million people...I could go on and on.

I am CONFUSED. Man I am confused. All my friends even want to talk about is the rape stuff and specifically now they want to argue over was it rape-rape like Whoopi Goldberg uses the term or was it like some other rape? They don't know. Is he a pompous Butt or what? They argue over that.

I am like a deer in the headlights here and I'm afraid there's an oncoming car.

I wish I could answer your question about what is going on in the US. Mass confusion is all I know. The US public seems to have been brainwashed years ago that we are the best, nothing bad can happen here, the govt. has it all under control, we'll crush anyone that bothers us, life is mostly good and will never change because WE ARE THE BEST - HOOO HA! - now the economy is crumbling, some are starting to think "WOW, it CAN happen here!" People are mostly stumbling around -I'm probably one - but most folks don't want to get out of bed.
There's a HUGE sense of disempowerment in the USA. For all the chest beating and patriotism, most people honestly don't want to know because 1. It hurts their little heads to think and 2. they really, deeply feel that they can't control anything anyway.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

About the rape allegations, take a look on this:

For that reason, he later said, "these two alleged victims have to be treated very seriously and Mr. Assange has to answer the questions." (Assange hasn't been charged with a crime, but has been asked to answer questions in Sweden about the claims.) "That's not what's at issue here," Moore continued. "I'm much more concerned about that there is a concerted attempt to stop WikiLeaks."

link

edit on 23-12-2010 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana

I live in the US and I try to stay very active in politics (because a lot going on here worries me) but I have to be honest - I don't know WHAT is going on here.

I think Houdini is in charge.
We have had nothing if not a huge mostly successful attempt at redirection on the whole Wikileaks fiasco.
If I go out on the street today, and talk to 100 people, maybe **1** might have accurate facts on the case, and will MAYBE know something they've heard in the media about one of the actual cables themselves.

It is not legal to incite murder in the US and at the very least it looks like some FCC regulations have been broken. Maybe some of us need to complain along that route. I don't know.

Dyncorp is getting by with pedophilia again, the Sales Dept -uh, I mean State Dept, is getting by with conspiring to starve 250 million people...I could go on and on.

I am CONFUSED. Man I am confused. All my friends even want to talk about is the rape stuff and specifically now they want to argue over was it rape-rape like Whoopi Goldberg uses the term or was it like some other rape? They don't know. Is he a pompous Butt or what? They argue over that.

I am like a deer in the headlights here and I'm afraid there's an oncoming car.

I wish I could answer your question about what is going on in the US. Mass confusion is all I know. The US public seems to have been brainwashed years ago that we are the best, nothing bad can happen here, the govt. has it all under control, we'll crush anyone that bothers us, life is mostly good and will never change because WE ARE THE BEST - HOOO HA! - now the economy is crumbling, some are starting to think "WOW, it CAN happen here!" People are mostly stumbling around -I'm probably one - but most folks don't want to get out of bed.
There's a HUGE sense of disempowerment in the USA. For all the chest beating and patriotism, most people honestly don't want to know because 1. It hurts their little heads to think and 2. they really, deeply feel that they can't control anything anyway.

I share all your concerns.The whole story seems like a set up.Even if assange is genuine,most of what has been talked about leaks wise is not exactly paradigm destroying stuff.

People getting on TV and calling for his death was crazy.If I was american I would complain to the tv networks,Is this the new reality?,its normal for politicians and newscastors to call for your death if you upset government?
That nonsenese has to be called out before it goes any further.Some tv worshiping fool could try to murder assange and think he's a hero.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Freedom of speech is not a World Wide Law. Some government quell it entirely. China, Most Arab Nations, Some African Nations, South American Nations and others. Western Nations are generally for Freedom of speech.

What is truly ironic is that's it's not any of the nations i eluded to above that's after Assange. It's the primary nation who has bred successfully freedom of speech within a nation and instilled it into it's people. With what has been shown by Wikileaks, it turns out, we see the true colors of the USA and other Western Societies. While they preach and ask us to preserve free speech, behind the curtain there are things going on we know nothing about. By the people, for the people?? I can't honestly with 100% certainty say that's true, can you?

I don't propose we all start a rebellion. I propose we play their game and create laws that forbid and punish people for these actions. If we really wanna be mean, we can make it retro-active. If truth is above all, above everything, then learning the truth of our past as well as what is coming in the future are equally important.

Play their game better. It's the most civilized way. It will take work, Wikileaks attempts to do this overnight. When you deliver shock and awe, expect it in return, when you cry that they act this way, it portrays how weak you really are. All his talk about not caring about what happens to him, yet here he is in the limelight promoting himself.

He should be more humble, that goes a lot farther then being prideful, boastful and filled with denials.
edit on 23-12-2010 by CanuckCoder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I'm just reading a theory about Assange being an agent of the press.

Dunno what to believe these days, but there are some hints that the press are controlling what is being leaked, and there are other theories about who runs the media.

Source

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Duff Fluff! Enough said.
edit on 23-12-2010 by Cablespider because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join