It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Simpsons Season 22 Ep03 Intro - Very Strange indeed, even for the Simpsons!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Yeah its interesting but also disturbing, considering it is an animated series and screens in family time-slots i dont think that intro is very family friendly at all. I grew with the Simpsons and will keep watching it, however an intro like that would worry me if my daughter saw it. Animal cruelty, Human cruelty and overall in bad taste for the Simpsons ( FYI: that would have to be the first bad comment i have ever really made about the Simpsons.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   

edit on 23-12-2010 by Havick007 because: double post

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by tonypazzohome
it made me feel creepy and i didn't find it funny at all. (life long simps fan) - i don't get it. they hate fox but don't mind making them a ton of money?

I agree with you 100% - what exactly were they trying to do, wake people up to what's going on. I mean are they just trying to get fired and collect unemployment, or do they actually think this is funny? To the guy that said this is "dark humor", I'm not sure how you can call it that - the Far Side was "dark humor" this is just messed up.

Originally posted by Havick007
Also in regard to the statement i made about the Exec going on about how outsourcing brings them into middle class. That was a quote in my workplace from one of the Segment managers of our business. We raised issues about customers complaining when being put through to customer service areas that have been outsourced and that was part of his response. He also tried to say that overall surveys show customers are happy with overseas customer service ( in this case the Phillipines ) but yeah i can tell you from first and second hand experiance that aint true.

He also said they are building universities for the sole purpose of training and educationg call centre, data entry and customer service staff. The are investing heavily on Western countries outsourcing jobs to them.

Sorry kinda off topic in my own thread ( sorry guys )

Are you SERIOUSLY saying in the near future working at a call center will require a degree? You gotta be kidding me... I worked at several of them over the last few years - what classes do they plan on having?
Reading 101?? Manners and Ettiquitte?? Rebuttals 201?

What a joke.

But hey I guess as long as it creates more jobs; Heaven forbid people realize they don't have to pay thousands of dollars to listen to somebody tell them what books to read...

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Time2Think

I dont think it will be a degree as such, well as we would know it. I think more short courses. They are also taught about mannerisms, culture etc etc. Although so far it doesnt help much, they are very robotic.

Actually he used that term to describe them, robotic, put down the process and procedure and they will follow it to the letter. Although i think the language barrier lessens the problem solving ability in some cases.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Since my OP i have watched the intro a couple of times now. Another thing i noticed were the references to bones ( human bones ) and to be more specific perhaps a link to the Skull and Bones. Now before you all jump on me, think about this after the opening credits the first thing we see is a car pull up outside the Elementary school with Yale on the back window....Coincence?? Perhaps or not!!

Also the number plate of said car is S1-1 459.

Perhaps Skull and 1-1 ( two bones ) also 4+5=9 dont know what if any significance it has but yeah seemed worth mentioning.
edit on 23-12-2010 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
The problem does not stop with the corporations, or the toxic equipment the employees must handle. It does not stop with the degradation of human beings and the insensitivity toward animals. A big part of the problem is the people who SUPPORT these industries by purchasing these products. This means me---and you.

We were meant to be an agricultural people. We were created and put here to enjoy the things nature created---not what people have created through suffering. We were meant to grow things and make things and to enjoy the company of animal companions and other human beings. Look how industry has changed the meaning of life.

It is a big part our fault, us, the little people, who have created this insatiable need for "stuff" at the expense of other people who must fulfill our needs at the cost of loss of happiness and freedom to really enjoy their lives. Do you ever think of them when you pull out a CD and know that these people must handle toxic substances without the oversight of OSHA or anyone to care for their health and safety precautions?

The reason many of these jobs have been transferred overseas is because there are no strict regulations for safety. There is no caring about human dignity. An "American" would not work these kind of jobs anyway--it would be "beneath" most people and our laws would not allow for these kind of health hazards and degradation. It's always the poor and ignorant who are taken advantage of.

Are you willing to change your lifestyle to make global changes? Do you care enough about these people to send a message by refusing to purchase these type of products?

These horrifying atrocities have been in the news for years and it has yet to stop. These conditions of slavery are ruining lives and the need for toxic elements are ruining the earth. The excess of "stuff" is degrading to the humans that are creating these needs.

Runoff from plastic manufacture has been ruining the waters in Thailand for years. We import goods from other countries where arsenic is used in the manufacture of edible pet products. Made there---but packaged in USA. That's how they get away with the poison in the products.

Everyone is gung ho to blame the corporations or the governments or TPTB....but the real fault lies with human beings just like you and me. We are the ones who have created a market for this. We must stop. We must be willing to return to what we were intended to do on this planet. If we do not make the conscious choice to do the right thing----then the choices of the future will be made for us and it may be harsh.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

In a short answer to your post, yes i am willing to change my life, to make the entire world a more equal place, a better lifestyle for all Humans, no matter what country of origin. We are all equal, no matter what age, race, gender or background! All Humans are equal on this planet and deservie better treatment!

I gave this example in another thread but i will repeat here for the sake of the reply

I have argued the point of Asylum seekers in Australia, and made reference to the fact that it is wrong and is affecting our economy and popluation, growth and future in alot of ways, now befor ei continue let me make this clear. I am not racist, i can emphathise with refugees and asylum seekers. However the problem should not be focused on the secondary problem affecting us in Australia, but should be focused on the direct cause and source of the issue. The countries from which these people are fleeing. Why would it have to be so bad that you would want to flee your country, risk lengthy and dangerous boat journeys across thousands of nautical miles, these people having to pay 10x or sometimes much more the cost of a plan ticket all the time risking their lives.

Recently there was a boat of refugees that approached Christmas Island, Au. Thhe boat suffered major damage after hitting the coastal rocks in rough sea's, this event claimed the lives of many refugees. After all that time at sea, they arrive at their destination only to become a victim in the most horrible way and whilst this was happening there were several witness's onshore that were helpless due to the tidal conditions and watch this unfold.

Link - Headline 15/12/2010 - Boat crashes on Christmas Island

bigpondnews.com...

Link - At least 28 die in Xmas Island boat crash ( contains graphic footage )

news.ninemsn.com.au...

Link - Headline - Shocked witnesses tell of asylum boat crash horror on Christmas Island

www.theaustralian.com.au...

Sad footage and should never have happened.... Also it is believed the asylum seekers may have originated from Irag and or Iran...

To the point, why should these poor people go through this or be forced into a condition to act this way?

Why should they be so scared and uncertain that they risk yhis year after year? The same can be said for visa-overstayers, genuine asylum seekers etc.

The issue needs to be addressed on a world stage at the source and originating coutries of these asylum seekers. What is the UN for if it cannot or will not address the issue?

We focus on Economy, War and Politics as a Nation ( AU but relevant to many others ) all this time being ignorant or distracted from true problems on tis planet.

We look at ourselves as the only important ''nation'' relevant to whatever country you reside in, however as a planet we are totally seperate and apart. Perhaps we need to start thinking of ourselves as a race and not as a state or country.

If i as a stable, strong and influential nation saw another nation that was in trouble or failing etc i would do all i could to help, to build and assist that nation in prospernce and growth. Not for self-supporting interest but as an inverstement in the future, in trade & partnership with my fellow species.
Humans need to move past sepertist behaviour as individual nations and work towards one world of co-operation and prosperity

In this respect we are still immature and showing pri-meval tribal behaviour.
edit on 23-12-2010 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Yeah its interesting but also disturbing, considering it is an animated series and screens in family time-slots i dont think that intro is very family friendly at all. I grew with the Simpsons and will keep watching it, however an intro like that would worry me if my daughter saw it. Animal cruelty, Human cruelty and overall in bad taste for the Simpsons ( FYI: that would have to be the first bad comment i have ever really made about the Simpsons.

But surely that's an intelligent way to raise awareness of these things that exist on a day to day basis around the world. It's not just a parody, it's highlighting the ills of such things. I'm surprised fox network allowed it, instead of censoring it.

If it had been censored, i'd be inclined to agree with you - but for once i'm happy this was released as it was.

Don't forget a lot of Banksy's work is all about highlighting the ills of the world, in a satirical manner, a way of portraying and highlighting issues in a slightly comedic manner. Such as poverty, aggression, abuse, discrimination, abuse of power etc.

Genius.

I'm the opposite, i'm glad this occured, to break people away from the 'bubble' of ignorance that a lot of people enclose themselves in. If kids start asking questions, then surely that's a good thing no?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I've got to ask. What exactly offends you?

Is it the fact that a prime time show dares to venture into mature satire, or the fact that children might be exposed to it?

For one thing, this was a welcome step forward and was praised in many circles for being mature enough to highlight such issues such as sweat shop labour, and being honest the only people i can see being offended are those ignorant enough to not teach their children about the darker things in the world.

Or would you prefer we all get wrapped in cotton wool and pretend this stuff doesn't occur on a daily basis?

Being honest it's not even that dark, it's done in a dark humoured, satirical way, parodying the merchandise of the Simpsons (a self derogative dig at themselves) but there are far, far worse things on TV these days.

I'd be more concerned if my children didn't ask questions.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Fair enough children should not be made ignorant or lied to. This depiction was in bad taste for that show. Out of no where and uncalled for. It should be made know and told to the world but not in this medium.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Did anyone watch the Christmas island issue posted above, it was a total disgrace and it needs to be shared world-wide!!

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Fair enough children should not be made ignorant or lied to. This depiction was in bad taste for that show. Out of no where and uncalled for. It should be made know and told to the world but not in this medium.

I'm not trying to argue with you, but the Simpsons is satirical, so i'd say it's completely justified. The Simpsons isn't just a kid's show, it has many jokes directed at adults - dealing with corporations, politicians and world leaders, just because it offended you, does not make it out of place.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Its excellent powerful satire. Its supposed to make you chuckle, then feel uncomfortable.

Mission accomplished i'd say.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
OR

its not really about foxcom & chinese product assembly at all

it is rather a covert way to blast the Santa Clause Enterprise, where Elves sweat away all year to
turn out product... the Chinese symbolize the Elves... the products in the lead-in are not 'Nikes'
for a Big $$$ reason

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

That's debatable, considering all the previous intro's to the show, i have never in 22 season's seen anything as grim as it. Even the Halloween specials or tree house of horror shows are G rated compaired to the it.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

That's debatable, considering all the previous intro's to the show, i have never in 22 season's seen anything as grim as it. Even the Halloween specials or tree house of horror shows are G rated compaired to the it.

But you DO have an understanding of Banksy's work right?

Or is this the first time you've heard of Banksy?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I will admit this is the first time i have heard of Banksy! howevr i also raise the fact that this is totally random and in the entire history of the Simpsons is totally out of the ordinary and strange. Although it did not come directly from the writers, it is still strange....

Thats the only point i was trying to make, what point are u getting to exactly?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

My point: The Simpsons has grown from a kids cartoon, into a mid-ranged adult cartoon. It pokes fun at everyone, yet at the same time highlights some issues (as it has in the past with countless examples) - in this case they allowed Banksy to storyboard the opening coach gag.

I can see why you think it's a bit grim, but at the same time, it's grim only because it highlights a reality, slightly exaggerated but a reality nonetheless.

I think the point i'm getting at is this... If the Simpsons were to allow Salvadore Dali to design a coach gag, then you'd expect a surrealist cartoon, but in this case they let Banksy do it, thus you get a slightly political cartoon.

I think maybe if you knew a little bit more of Banksy's work, you'd see that this is just another issue highlighted in a slightly dark, but genius way.

emgfo.files.wordpress.com...

blog.collectables-now.com...

monsterfresh.com...

www.thegmanifesto.com...

His work is 'dark', but it's also comedic and presented in a refreshing way. I think maybe you're just surprised and maybe it caught you unawares.

I agree, the opening was grim, but it was artistic and with a degree of intelligence and wasn't just some random gore-fest or mundane excuse to publicise himself

Peace

edit on 23-12-2010 by mr-lizard because: wrong link

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I've just seen the related episode.
You could make another treat about it.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

Another thread? Yeah coz it was lame!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>