It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

urban aquaponics future food!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Future of farming:

Saw this on a Discvover Wisconsin tv show: People in urban Milwaukee using an empty building to house an aquaponis systen to grow tillapia and vegetables getting thousands of pounds of vegetables and protein every 6months.
It also scales nicely up And down

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
this is awesome! very, very, cool.
wondering how this will line up with the powers that say growing your own food will or is illegal?
such a great use of abandonment too. i could see detroit becoming a major player too in this field. they have a lot of unused space there.

will there be a problem in breeding diversity? i guess only time will tell.
thanks for sharing.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This is definitely the (probable and most efficient) future for farming! It's amazing the food production that comes when you work WITH the Earth and the Sun and the natural processes that are all around us. When you incorporate aquaponics with composting/vermicomposting, permaculture and food forest techniques, rainwater collection and passive solar growing structures, you have a very efficient, effective, low maintenance and harmonious growing system!

I've been incorporating permaculture techniques into the community garden I work in and there's no reason to grow monocrops based off the food production I've seen. Veggies are meant to grow together and do so very well when you let them.

I suggest researching the techniques of Sepp Holzer and Bill Mollison to get an idea of the suppressed growing abilities of our planet and people.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
what a lovely idea.. i hope it kicks off and works large scale. this is the way farming should be done...
kx

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
oh yeah part II so you don'thaveto search around...

edit on 21-12-2010 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The lack of responses in this thread is a very telling indicator of the "modern" world's current problems. In my opinion, this topic is the single most important topic concerning world peace, environmental protection, spiritual freedom and healthful living.

Posters on ATS are quick to discuss the "NWO" or the "Matrix", propaganda, societal manipulation through the media, centralized fractional reserve money control, the dangers of genetically modified foods, suppressed energy technologies, cell phone radiation, DNA destroying x-ray scanners, etc., etc..

BUT they won't pull themselves AWAY from those problems and face the REAL WORLD solution and it's not just: Stop using your cell phone, Stop watching TV and sitting in front of a computer all day, Stop eating unnatural and processed foods, Stop the unecessary possesion focused materialism and greed, ETC..

It's actually: Start growing your own food at home, Start working with community gardens, Start sharing and working with your neighbors and community, Start building homes that work with the Sun and the Earth, Start bartering. Start developing and building energy sources based on the Sun, wind and water, and most importantly...

START SEEING THE BEAUTY AND ABUNDANCE EVERYWHERE AND SHARE IT

Changing the world starts with changing your own world. Think about which direction the Sun rises. Think about what our fruit and vegetable plants need to grow, think about the properties of the wind and water, think about the building materials under our feet and over our heads. Think about what's necessary to survive and you may discover what it means to live.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

Didn't work for me but my system was admitedly very jury rigged.

top topics

join