It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 77
<< 74  75  76    78  79  80 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I truly hope your are right Moorf, cos I got a bad feeling about NZ too.
2nd

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

Yes they are aftershocks. The definition of an aftershock is earthquakes that occur after major earthquakes that are usually about 1.5 magnitude lower than the main shock and that occur during the period after the main shock before seismicity returns to normal levels. This can take years, so yes by definition they are aftershocks.

Interestingly there seems to be some confusion as to the exact values of these.

Date/Time UTC,Latitude,Longitude,Magnitude,Depth(Km),Location
2011-03-22T07:18:47.000Z,37.24950,143.95640,6.6000,26.5000,off the east coast of Honshu. Japan
2011-03-22T09:19:03.000Z,37.38000,141.79000,6.0000,10.0000,NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU JAPAN*
2011-03-22T09:19:05.000Z,37.33400,141.86080,6.4000,27.0000,near the east coast of Honshu. Japan
2011-03-22T09:44:28.000Z,39.86000,143.45000,6.0000,10.0000,OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU JAPAN*
2011-03-22T09:44:29.000Z,39.86290,143.43560,6.6000,15.5000,off the east coast of Honshu. Japan

Sourced from my database using lists publicly available on USGS and EMSC*

edit on 22/3/2011 by PuterMan because: Experimenting with formatting

Image of Magnitude 6, 7, and 9 quakes in Japan.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1643aa9dcc21.png[/atsimg]

Source as above. Graphics by Google Earth. Implementation by the QVSData program.

edit on 22/3/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by zenius
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I truly hope your are right Moorf, cos I got a bad feeling about NZ too.
2nd

Believe me, many of us are watching NZ activity locally with our breath held ... I live in the shadow of the Alpine Fault and, much as I don't like to dwell on it, it's hard not to... not that worrying will get me anywhere!! I just hope that if it happens, hubby is home with me, as he works 60km away; Having said that, he'd been 60km further away from it and, perhaps, safer... tough one!

Muzzy - there was a very deep quake down near the Ostler Fault (nr Twizel) on 20th March - did you catch it? Looked very unusual to me - even when I created a map for previous 12 months it stands alone and sticks out like a sore thumb for its depth....

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Yes, Muzzy caught it - saying it's the hydro area. I reckon you should all come live over here and be safe. There are many of your countryfolk in Queensland, you'd feel right at home!

@Puterman,
Thank you for the list. I s'pose they'll figure out the correct mags in a day or so?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Looking at the phase data I think you may find EMSC up the last one (USGS 6.6) to 6.4.

I would say from the phase data for the earlier one that they might do the same - 6.4. We will have to see. I have not looked at USGS yet to see if they have over estimated.

Weird. Those quakes are noted as using the Mi scale - I see thins on USGS from time to time.

They don't list Mi as a scale (like their GS)

A number of magnitude scales are defined by source agencies or institutions. The magnitude scales in the data base include:

* UK = Unknown magnitude scale
* Ms = Surface-wave magnitude; Bath, 1966
* mb = Body-wave magnitude; Gutenberg and Richter, 1956
* ML = Local magnitude; Richter, 1958
* Mn = Nuttli magnitude; Nuttli, 1973
* MD = Coda-length magnitude
* FA or MI = Felt area magnitude; approximately equivalent to an mb value
* mB = Broad-band, body-wave magnitude; Abe (1981, 1982, 1984), Abe and Kanamori, 1979, and Abe and Noguchi (1983a,b)
* Mw = Moment magnitude, Hanks and Kanamori, 1979
* Mz = Magnitude based on the cycles/second of the Sg-phase
* MI = Magnitude computed from the epicentral intensity value
* K = Energy class magnitude value; Kondorskaya and others, 1982.

Beginning with January, 1986, a contributed magnitude of unspecified type may be quoted (using the designator MG) for events which have no other magnitudes given or computed. These MG magnitudes either have been reported by the contributor without listing the type (such as "Mag 3.5") or have been computed using procedures which are not defined by the magnitude types routinely reported.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I thought that might have been the reason for the varying mags. Why do they keep changing the scale? Grr it's so frustrating.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

It might just be that they consider themselves to be the world authority on quakes, which to a degree they are, and everyone else just has to fall into line.

The fact that most of the rest of the world use ML is not relevant.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

reply to post by MoorfNZ

Yes, Muzzy caught it - saying it's the hydro area. I reckon you should all come live over here and be safe. There are many of your countryfolk in Queensland, you'd feel right at home!

@Puterman,
Thank you for the list. I s'pose they'll figure out the correct mags in a day or so?

agreed! my suburb is know to be packed with kiwis, we are one of the only aussies on our street
It helps that I LOVE your accent.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Ok,thanks (I know what Aftershocks are by now btw
) And those are normal this high and this late? Though might be different because of the Location...meh,what do i know

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Earth is shaking today right in tune to this headache!

6.0 2011/03/22 13:31:30 -33.106 -16.027 14.5 SOUTHERN MID-ATLANTIC RIDGE

Linky

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

The best way to understand to understand "aftershocks" is to compare Japan to Banda Aceh. And you may want to listen to the NPR interviews I'll post as well.

From Wikipedia, I'll not criticize the site, it's damned handy when in a rush. Of course, always cross reference.

"Aftershocks and other earthquakes
Locations of initial earthquake and all aftershocks measuring greater than 4.0 from December 26, 2004 to January 10, 2005. The site of the original quake is marked by the large star in the lower right square of the grid.Numerous aftershocks were reported off the Andaman Islands, the Nicobar Islands and the region of the original epicentre in the hours and days that followed. The largest aftershock, which originated off the coast of the Sumatran island of Nias, registered a magnitude of 8.7,[17] prompting debate among seismologists as to whether it should be classified as an aftershock of the December 2004 quake or as a "triggered earthquake" (which typically differs from an aftershock in that it is not located along the same fault line and may be as large or larger than the earthquake which triggered it).[18] This earthquake was so large that it produced its own aftershocks (some registering a magnitude of as great as 6.1) and presently ranks as the 7th largest earthquake on record since 1900. Other aftershocks of up to magnitude 6.6 continued to shake the region daily for up to three or four months.[19][20] As well as continuing aftershocks, the energy released by the original earthquake continued to make its presence felt well after the event. A week after the earthquake, its reverberations could still be measured, providing valuable scientific data about the Earth's interior.

The 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake came just three days after a magnitude 8.1 earthquake in an uninhabited region west of New Zealand's sub-Antarctic Auckland Islands, and north of Australia's Macquarie Island. This is unusual, since earthquakes of magnitude 8 or more occur only about once per year on average.[21] Some seismologists have speculated about a connection between these two earthquakes, saying that the former one might have been a catalyst to the Indian Ocean earthquake, as the two earthquakes happened on opposite sides of the Indo-Australian Plate. However, the U.S. Geological Survey sees no evidence of a causal relationship in this incident. Coincidentally, the earthquake struck almost exactly one year (to the hour) after a 6.6 magnitude earthquake killed an estimated 30,000 people in the city of Bam in Iran on December 26, 2003.[22]

Some scientists confirm that the December earthquake had activated Leuser Mountain, a volcano in Aceh province along the same range of peaks as Mount Talang, while the 2005 Sumatran earthquake had sparked activity in Lake Toba, an ancient crater in Sumatra.[23] Geologists say that the eruption of Mount Talang in April 2005 is connected to the December earthquake.[24]

en.wikipedia.org...

Have a listen to the following radio broadcast. Although I think the geophysist was way off base claiming Darwin was the "father of modern geology", he's right about of the fact that the word "aftershock" is misleading. Don't think of the event as an event. It's a process.

www.sciencefriday.com...

I am keeping my eye on the mid-Atlantic ridge. And I will be watching to see if the Indian Plate reacts to this lastet batch of strong Japanese "aftershocks".

Arkansas went quiet yesterday. At the same time the worldwide quakes seemed to ease. Well, that's obviously changed after the aftershocks, and Arkansas just showed some modest activity.

I should add the other area that I pay particular attention. Yellowstone. Boy oh boy, it's quiet. Real quiet. But that shouldn't be unexpected. It's been really busy since Boxing Day 2008.

edit on 22-3-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Is it just me,or do these "Aftershocks" after the (2) 6.6 and the 6.4 now travel South-Westish?

Puterman,could you make a Pic with todays Quakes and which way they travel? I followed each one after the 6.6 and got this feeling they travel South (both actually,the 6.6 on the Fault Line and the second 6.6 and the 6.4 West ond North of the first one)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Thanks

Yes it does show a broader picture I think.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6964c322a188.gif[/atsimg]

Also did I not say EMSC would change? I did not think they would match the 6.6 exactly but I knew they would go upwards.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

I did a time/ colour coded GE KML file with the aftershocks up to Mar21st 19:01 but I haven't used it because it came out a bit of a mess.
Have a look anyway, it may be of some help seeing any direction the aftershocks are heading, I couldn't see any they were all over the place. The darker the blue marker, the newer the earthquake. (or the lighter the marker the older, prior to 7 days old they are all the same shade, apart from the 9.0. and the 3 x 7's)
KML file for Google Earth, aftershocks by colour/age

The problem is getting more than 7 shades of any one colour without them blending together on the map.
heres a Google Maps version without the text
Google Maps Interactive, aftershocks by colour/ age

I might figure something better out today, its raining so got the day off

edit on 22-3-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-3-2011 by muzzy because: its pretty complicated, I might try a gif

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Whats the mx size width for an image without the bar

577 pixels

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

By the way I do a complete set every day, but not by age, just if anyone is interested.

qvsdata.wordpress.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I woke up about 11:45 this morning and had no electricity. I felt so LOST! I had no idea what was going on. I had just bought an emergency radio, thank the goddess! Got talk radio KGO and found out we had a power outage here in Berkeley. It lasted an hour and in that time I sorta panicked. I couldn't check USGS, couldn't check ATS.

I am a wuss. What would I do if it went out for days? I know this is off topic but all my friends are on this thread and I didn't want to start a new thread based on my wussy fears.

Looks like Arkansas is shaking again

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude
Date-Time
Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 19:56:05 UTC
Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 02:56:05 PM at epicenter
Depth
5.2 km (3.2 miles)
Region
ARKANSAS
Distances
2 km (1 miles) NNW (344°) from Greenbrier, AR
7 km (4 miles) NE (48°) from Wooster, AR
8 km (5 miles) SSE (162°) from Twin Groves, AR
57 km (35 miles) N (354°) from Little Rock, AR
422 km (262 miles) SSW (208°) from St. Louis, MO
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 0.9 km (0.6 miles); depth +/- 0.5 km (0.3 miles)
Parameters
NST= 15, Nph= 23, Dmin=1 km, Rmss=0.18 sec, Gp= 68°,
M-type="Nuttli" surface wave magnitude (mbLg), Version=B
Source
Cooperative New Madrid Seismic Network
Event ID
nm032211h

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Yeah no electric when you wake up in the morning really throws you out of kilter.
Cereal for breakfast ?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by bkaust

reply to post by MoorfNZ

@Puterman,

agreed! my suburb is know to be packed with kiwis, we are one of the only aussies on our street
It helps that I LOVE your accent.

Sorry to disappoint but I'm a Pom

Thanks, have seen Muzzy's reply now.

In case anyone didn't know, an American "psychic" has got in on the Moon Man predictions by predicting a large quake today on our West Coast of the South Island. It was reported, unfortunately, by the Greymouth Star yesterday ( www.greystar.co.nz... ).. No quotes or sources were mentioned so I emailed "Mr Pratt" (
) and got a reply today...

Helen, You are the first person who is letting me know that this was printed in the paper. As I read your email, my entire body became very hot with ‘spirit chills’. When I looked at the link to the article, my arms began moving, channeling Spirit. That says something powerful to me. I’ve been channeling healing ENERGY for 2 years, but only channeling INFORMATION/MESSAGES like this for about 6 months, so I was very nervous about declaring something of this magnitude. I don’t know anyone is New Zealand, have never been there – it was by allowing my hand to point to Greymouth on a map on my computer that I figured out where this may occur. This information came to me only 3 days ago, from a young woman I met in Costa Rica in February; she is from Australia and is quite psychic. She contacted me on Facebook 3 days ago and asked me if the visions she was having for a quake in NZ on the 23rd were accurate – I immediately got a YES from my spirit guides. I was very wary of sharing this with people in NZ and causing alarm, but I kept getting ‘hits’ from Spirit to DO SOMETHING. In October, I had visions about possible terrorist attacks on New York City and Washington, DC, that were set to take place on Dec. 7 and 24. It turned out some portion of my visions were correct, and these attacks were aborted, partly due to my reporting my visions to the authorities. Ultimately, the FBI sent 3 agents to interview me about how I receive my information, who I’m listening to, etc. They would not tell me how accurate my visions were, but clearly I did the right thing. So when this came up, I decided I had to say something, and risk looking like a fool. Maybe my friend and I are wrong, maybe nothing will happen. This has all been so quick, I would not have had time to get my web manager to put something on my website. It is a bit odd that only one agency replied to my email (I sent out about 10), and that person called me a ‘charlatan’. And yet it ended up in the newspaper, and authorities are at least aware. So we will see. Bless you and thank you for contacting me. Alan Alan Pratt www.alanpratt.net

Can you say "fruit loop" ??

new topics

top topics

<< 74  75  76    78  79  80 >>

join