It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'I didn't think of Iraqis as humans,' says U.S. soldier who raped 14-year-old girl before killing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   

'I didn't think of Iraqis as humans,' says U.S. soldier who raped 14-year-old girl before killing her and her family

www.d ailymail.co.uk

An Iraq War veteran serving five life terms for raping and killing a 14-year-old Iraqi girl and killing her parents and sister says he didn't think of Iraqi civilians as humans after being exposed to extreme warzone violence.
Steven Green, a former 101st Airborne soldier, in his first interview since the 2006 killings, claimed that his crimes were fuelled in part by experiences in Iraq's violent 'Triangle of Death' where two of his sergeants were gunned down.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I know it's the fear mongering Daily fail but still, if this is how US troops are being brainwashed to think, Its a complete travesty!!!

**Just to add, I am not anti-american, I have the upmost respect for the majority of British / American forces doing a difficult job, I do not agree with the war "Liberating the oilpipeline, not the people" but that is a political aspect of it; the soldiers are just following commands.

I couldn't find any other links to this story but am not the best at searching

www.d ailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

+29 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
So what did he think he was doing when he raped that poor girl? Committing an act of bestiality?
Really, there is no excuse.
edit on 21-12-2010 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

+29 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
This is done in any war. Demonize your supposed enemy, dehumanize the supposed enemy, so that when it comes to it, no soldier will blink an eye to kill their fellow human. This should be no surprise and should warn people about not joining the military anywhere, simply for the fact that you will be brainwashed.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Bun-G

I don't think American soldiers are brainwashed to do what this sick individual did. You cannot blame his training for that. This guy is disturbed and sick, probably as a result of serving in that dangerous war zones.

But, this does not justify in any means what he did. He should know how to control himself and conduct himself. It might also just be his own personal views of not thinking of them as humans, that goes to show how wrong and sick he is.

VvV

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Bun-G

Throw the book at him! Totally unacceptable! I would bet 99% of his fellow soldiers would love 5 minutes alone with him! Disgusting but does not undo any of the good work done by the coalition forces! Long live the coalition!

+19 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I don't think American soldiers are brainwashed to do what this sick individual did. It might also just be his own personal views of not thinking of them as humans, that goes to show how wrong and sick he is.

This shows how little you know of actual warfare. You cannot kill a person if you respect life. So you must learn to not respect it and that is done by dehumanizing the enemy during training. Ever seen military training videos?

Of course nobody is brainwashed into raping 14 year olds. But they are brainwashed into thinking that 14 year old is not a fellow HUMAN.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

Dude if you are looking to pick a fight, do it elsewhere ok.

I know nothing of warfare? How do you know that? Do you know me? Have you ever served in any military of any kind? I don't think so, since you are referring to training videos, don't make me laugh.

My point was that he was not brainwashed into killing a 14year old, that is not what you train for in the military.
Yes, you are desensitized, but not in such an extreme way as you would love to think.

VvV

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
This is tragic all the way around. First for his victims and second for him. I don't belive we are born evil we're made evil. What causes someones mind to become that twisted is hard for some to understand.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Well, to me it seems that you are trying to pick a fight when you excuse the military on a forum like ATS where the motto deny 'ignorance' reigns supreme.

I know nothing of warfare? How do you know that? Do you know me? Have you ever served in any military of any kind? I don't think so, since you are referring to training videos, don't make me laugh.

Lets see shall we?

Since you are Dutch it would seem highly unlikely that you know what they show in US military training vids unless you've researched it. So even if you were to have served in the Dutch army, you are still clueless on warfare since the Netherlands is not involved as deeply as the US.

I find it highly disturbing that whenever someone is confronted with what they say they jump into defensive mode, on a place like ATS.

+25 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Imagine if this were... Iranian soldiers raping and killing american or canadian families? For what? Because a neighboring country (MIGHT HAVE) flown a plane into commercial buildings on their own accord? It wasn't even an act of war, it was an independent move by a fundamentalist terrorist organization (SO THEY SAY).

So... let's turn the tables, imagine this scenerio: 'Iran flies a plane into its own towers, claim it was a fundamentalist Canadian terrorist organization and invades the United states... many of the soldiers rape and murder its citizens(your friends, family, girlfriends, ex girlfriends), bomb innocents, and remove any/all leaders at will.

Oh... And take your resources

Wake [snip] Up , World.
edit on 21-12-2010 by MavRck because: (no reason given)

edit on 22/12/10 by masqua because: Removed censor circumvention

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by phatpackage
reply to post by Bun-G

Long live the coalition!

Why surely it's a limited time one use only group, that every rat is rushing to leave, may I add.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

Served 8 years in the British Army as part of 2 Para 16th AA Brigade, was in Helmand in 08 and obviously it's you who needs to learn a thing or too about our training, whether that be me referring to my fellow soldiers in the British Army or coalition forces you are not indoctrinated as such so that you learn not to value human life to the extent displayed in this article.

You are trained to confront the enemy, to see him as a target and nothing more, the process behind this does not allow time for you to acknowledge him as a fellow human, he has a weapon, you have a weapon and you shoot or be shot, however...a large part of our work was humanitarian, we were sent as both soldiers and peace keepers, to support the local populace with whatever support they required, whether this be utility or logistical and as such we learn to differentiate our roles.

This kind of activity is not part of what we do, military training only seeks to sharpen the mind and the abilities of the soldier, if a fellow already has psychological flaws then these are perhaps compounded but not encouraged, If he was not serving he would have likely indulged in the same sort of behavior as a civvy.

I can not speak for the soldier in questions, nor his regiment or operations but I feel i do speak for the larger part of what encompasses the majority of coalition when i say that serving as a soldier brings out the best in a person and any activity conducted by a small group or individuals should not undermine the work that we do, nor the reputation of the whole, he deserves all he receives and no excuses are warranted.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zamini

Well, to me it seems that you are trying to pick a fight when you excuse the military on a forum like ATS where the motto deny 'ignorance' reigns supreme.

Lets see shall we?

Since you are Dutch it would seem highly unlikely that you know what they show in US military training vids unless you've researched it. So even if you were to have served in the Dutch army, you are still clueless on warfare since the Netherlands is not involved as deeply as the US.

I find it highly disturbing that whenever someone is confronted with what they say they jump into defensive mode, on a place like ATS.

You are just showing your own ignorance mate, for I am not dutch, I do not know where you got the idea from. I speak dutch yes, but i am not. So do not make assumptions that you cannot substantiate. I find it distrubing how people on ATS jumps to conclusions without checking the facts.

As for being clueless on warfare, most militaries around the world train according to certain rules and conditions. So just because i am not an american soldier, i am clueless? That is a contradiction in itself.

Warfare is warfare, it does not matter which army you serve. Understand that.

I do not want to argue with you, so i will leave your thread now.

VVv

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
As an OEF Veteran, and infantry at that, this is a sad day for our troops. The work of good men and women is very easily undone by atrocities like these. This soldier should be ashamed for the deaths that our troops will inflict from backlash, the loss of progress in the war, and the loss of faith of the nation.

The war is wrong, but every person on this forum has the ability to send the troops home. You want us there because you don't protest, so you must accept what we do there. Some of us serve our country whether we agree with it or not, because it is our duty. When the country backs up an illegal occupation, it becomes a legal occupation that we must carry out.

War takes it's toll on soldiers in many different ways, shapes and forms. Some take it out on eachother, others the enemy, most themselves. Without any of us knowing his real situation, the best we can say is that he took his mission and perverted it, lost sight of his Army Values of Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, Personal Courage.

Every soldier walks a thin line, especially those in combat MOS's. We are trained to kill, but not to stop. That is our own personal journey and we all lose sight of our ultimate goals sometimes. We must be cold, calculated, disciplined, compassionate, and understanding all at once. It is more than any normal citizen could handle. To expect nothing bad to ever happen is to shut ones eyes to the truth.

This man was wrong, he needs help. Do not let this impact your view of the military as a whole abroad. Do not let this story silence any pride you have for your soldiers, for we are truely yours to command. Our decisions are your decisions. Our wars are your wars.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
The brave soldier was only protecting the little girl and her family from the barbarric sharia law.

Apparently muslim women have no rights in Islamic countries so this soldier decided to give them some freedom.

And of course his superiors weren't involved in anyway.

What a lovely world we live in.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Crutchley29

You are trained to confront the enemy, to see him as a target and nothing more, the process behind this does not allow time for you to acknowledge him as a fellow human,

I WONDER WHY?

he has a weapon, you have a weapon and you shoot or be shot,

And you are perfectly fine with this right? Thanks for supporting my point.

however...a large part of our work was humanitarian, we were sent as both soldiers and peace keepers, to support the local populace with whatever support they required, whether this be utility or logistical and as such we learn to differentiate our roles.

Of course you have to do these things so that the entire population doesn't chase you out as the occupying force that you are. I see your military strategists are copying Cyrus the Greats tactics in order to keep the occupied population calm, though, I must warn them, that if the intentions are not sincere the calm is only a calm before the storm.

Besides, this is also meant to put the mind of the soldier to ease. This is a TACTIC so that YOU won't question your role! Take a look at past wars, what happened to the veterans who only fought and returned? How many fell into addiction to forget their actions? How many fell to mental illness? Differentiating your roles is meant to keep your moral up, not to help the population...that's a straight forward LIE.

Don't take my word for it though, because you will come to the same realization. The most intelligent army personnel do... and those that do not question themselves, are a lost cause in any case.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

Honestly, an opinion of a poster on ATS who I presume by his comments to have no experience of serving or being involved any branch of the military holds no water at all, It's easy to sit behind your desk and cast down aspersions as you know nothing about what our day to day job entails.

Our efforts aside from combat specific were not done so to keep "our moral up" as the majority of us do not have issues with retaining pride in what we achieve, If only you could understand and not judge so harshly.
edit on 21-12-2010 by Crutchley29 because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join