It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2011

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
volcanoes.usgs.gov...

This is a link for the web cams but they don't
seem to be working at the moment.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
Seems like a quake and around 17
aftershocks. Volcano on alert orange.

USGS

Sweety, just for clarification, the 4.5 and aftershocks happened in the Mauna Kea volcanic field, not near the more active Kīlauea. All indications are it was tectonic, caused by faulting. The depth of ~18km on all the quakes, their location at the base of Mauna Kea, and presence of a typical aftershock sequence support this assessment, among other things. And just like that, *poof* they are gone. No further activity registering for the moment, and I am watching several seismos in GEE on the big island.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I mentioned that I needed to brush up
on Hawaii, Face Palm.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Update:
The activity has now increased, and is in swarm mode, same rough spot as 4.5. Two stations on the HV network confirm much microquake activity, below the USGS 2.5 list. Although small, they are coming in fast and furious like. You guys will only see those quakes that reach 2.5 or above on the USGS list, but there are like 10 times more smaller quakes actually going on, watching in GEE. Don't see any tremor, but something is going down at Mauna Kea. Or coming up, if you prefer.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Another one to keep an eye on in Bolivia
www.ouramazingplanet.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by remymartin
Another one to keep an eye on in Bolivia
www.ouramazingplanet.com...

From that article:

Scientists figured out from the inflation rate that the pocket of magma beneath the volcano was growing by about 27 cubic feet (1 cubic meter) per second.

"That's about 10 times faster than the standard rate of magma chamber growth you see for large volcanic systems," Perkins told OurAmazingPlanet.

However, no need to flee just yet, the scientists said.

"It's not a volcano that we think is going to erupt at any moment, but it certainly is interesting, because the area was thought to be essentially dead," de Silva said.

Magma chamber growing at a cubic meter per SECOND?

The area of inflation is roughly the size of Yellowstone! (give or take some miles)

Nothing like getting blindsided by a new supervolcano erupting...

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   

RSOE have it listed too

It's getting kind of scary now. So many weird things happening to our Planet.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Could somebody throw an eye over Krakatoa please and give me their honest opinion?
With the rest of the shaking going on today, just wondering if it would contribute to it blowing larger than 2007?
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

With the scarily fast growth of Mt. Uturuncu and the strange activity regarding Anak Krakatoa I think we are in for some very interesting times very soon.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
An Super Volcano is showing some limited activity rising to the surface recently,

Well worth keeping an eye on as an 14km caldera and bang in south & middle of Europe,

Not too unlikely that a large eruption could occur here or near by with vesuvias soon, certainly over the next decades, the caldera could go.

The Phlegraean Fields, also known as Campi Flegrei, (from Greek φλέγος, burning), is a large 13 kilometres (8.1 mi) wide caldera situated to the west of Naples, Italy. It was declared a regional park in 2003. Lying mostly underwater, the area comprises 24 craters and volcanic edifices. Hydrothermal activity can be observed at Lucrino, Agnano and the town of Pozzuoli. There are also effusive gaseous manifestations in the Solfatara crater, which is known as the mythological home of the Roman god of fire, Vulcan

She is showing some rising seismic activity recently, maybe an pattern swarm starting emerging:

2011-10-22 03:08:12 2.3 6 Km
2011-10-19 04:32:52 2.0 9 Km
2011-10-03 15:14:08 2.4 8 Km
2011-10-02 18:07:38 2.2 7 Km
2011-10-02 16:58:31 2.4 7 Km
2011-10-01 23:19:37 2.0 8 Km
2011-09-28 10:37:33 2.0 10 Km
2011-09-19 23:27:19 2.3 27 Km
2011-09-17 13:41:44 3.6 23 Km
2011-09-08 22:06:21 4.8 33 Km

It is a volcano capable of producing VEI 7 eruptions, as large as that of Tambora in 1815. At present, the Campi Flegrei area comprises the Naples districts of Agnano and Fuorigrotta, the area of Pozzuoli, Bacoli, Mount Procida, Quarto, the Phlegrean Islands (Ischia, Procida and Vivara). Recent inflation of the caldera centre in the vicinity of Pozzuoli may presage an eruptive event within decades.

With etna busy, and also the recent widening and increase in activity Europe near east wide, with the little known, and talked about volcano Earthquake history of the mediterranian, extreme events are very likely here if anyone cares to look at history.

In addition at this site mentioned some scientists are being a bit too confident if you ask me:

Drilling deep into the heart of an active volcano might sound dangerous, but a team of scientists say that it could prove vital to protecting the Italian city of Naples from a potentially devastating eruption.

Early next month, researchers will begin to sample rocks and install underground sensors inside Campi Flegrei, a giant volcanic formation in southern Italy. They hope to learn where the magma is stored and what signs might precede an eruption. Campi Flegrei last erupted in 1538, and the ground in the area has been swelling for the past 40 years, leading to fears of another eruption within decades.

But critics say that the project is taking place too close to Naples and could lead to pollution, earthquakes or an explosion. The selected location "makes no sense", says Benedetto de Vivo, a professor of geochemistry at the University of Naples.

Campi Flegrei is thought to have formed 39,000 years ago, when a major eruption caused the ground to collapse in a 13-kilometre-wide area above a chamber of magma. The resultant bowl-shaped depression, known as a caldera, extends along the shore of the Gulf of Naples and is the site of a large number of craters and steaming fissures on land.

Kind Regards,

Elf

edit on 23-10-2011 by MischeviousElf because: Link and txt borehole

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

dormant for at least 30.000 years....
the count of coming alive of dormants is risen fast in 2011....
could it be real that earth is heating up from the inside?????... cousing naturely fracking of the crust ?!!

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

an big eruption of the campi could be bad for europe
they recently found campi dust in an old neanthertaler caves in top of norway....
perhaps the campi was the reason for extinction of the neandertalers.....

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I know EQ's seem to have thair fair share of the news. We have seen today how devastating EQ's can be. They can be catastrophic, need I really mention Haiti, or the resulting tsunami in Japan, or the tragedy which was Aquila in northern Italy where almost every child was killed, resulting in a generation gap in that town?
But once an EQ has happened, the clear up will begin, and lives and homes re-built.

Volcanoes on the other hand, by their nature are a different beast altogether, and I mean BEAST! Please don't come on here to reply with 'obviously' comments....that just means you are aware and know of how much more devastating volcanoes can be. Volcanoes historically have killed more people than EQ;s have.

It is not just their wonderful lava/strombolian activity that has us in awe, but the lava bombs, the ash clouds, the eq's they produce, let alone the noise! An ongoing 'show' which stimulates so many of our senses...especially if you live near one.
However we have the noxious gases they produce, in some cases to a greater or lesser extent fatally poisonous ones. Then we have the 'fall out', the ongoing eruption can produce. In some cases, the 'clear up' will never begin as the land is turned into an inhospitable landscape until mother nature herself takes her time to 'clean up'.

I am not having a competition between volcanoes and EQ's here, they very often go hand in hand as we often see here. What I am saying and this is purely a personnal perspective, is that in our lifetime the time of the volcano is dawning. I feel we are going to begin experiencing not just one supervolcano eruption, maybe not even one, but many, many huge cataclysmical eruptions from all sorts of volcanoes. The on going eruption of Puyheue in Chile is testimony to this.

"and the Earth shall be cleansed by fire"
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

i would have to agree with you on this , which is the main reason why i created this thread to begin with for two years in a row and i fully intend to create volcano watch 2012 as well. later in dec .

we have the potential eruption at baku mountain which is located on the border of north and south korea . which their scientists are claiming can erupt within the next two or 3 years .
we have all of the activity in nothern new zeland which is also a supervolcano. to name one or two.
this year we have had a volcano which all of us thought was dead , she turned out to be just sleeping . for over 10,000 years . then we have katla one of many monsters in iceland . the list is ongoing ..

and i know i created this thread and rarely post in it my self but i do read it daily . and once in awhile i do add some updated information to it . 2011 is not over yet people and a lot can still happen . so i say keep a close eye on all volcano as much as we can. over and out for now .

edit on 23/10/11 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Surrounding this EQ in Turkey today are three volcanoes. Two are strato and one unknown. The one that is unknown is "Girekol" volcano. What do we really know about it?

It is explosive and it has "never erupted in historical times"?

I am still searching for more information. Is anyone else familiar with it?

I'm aware of the "Super" one just found off of Bolivia. Erupted 300,000 years ago, could erupt anytime they say? Is everyone reading that too? A lot of new stuff is being discovered and happening and I can hardly keep up.

Having three kids don't help either. :Lol:

Thanks !!! xoxox

Jenn

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Volcanoes on the other hand, by their nature are a different beast altogether, and I mean BEAST! Please don't come on here to reply with 'obviously' comments....that just means you are aware and know of how much more devastating volcanoes can be. Volcanoes historically have killed more people than EQ;s have.

Obviously!
Sorry Jane, could not resist.

However, are you sure that volcanoes have historically killed more than earthquakes? I would be interested to see figures on that mainly because my own feeling is that, if we include the aftermath of earthquakes such as tsunami, then earthquakes have probably killed more but I may be wrong of course.

My reasoning is that volcanoes are fairly obvious if you understand what I am saying and the tendency is to not build right on top of them. Additionally earthquakes give little warning whereas it is a rare volcano the just erupts with no prior warning.

Of course it may be that if you extend the effect of volcanoes then it may be the case, but even a potential 2 million in Europe which is unconfirmed may not balance the books.

Tilling and Lipman (1993) estimate that 500 million people will be at risk from volcanic hazards by the year 2000. In the past 500 years, over 200,000 people have lost their lives due to volcanic eruptions (Tilling, 1980). An average of 845 people died each year between 1900 and 1986 from volcanic hazards. The number of deaths for these years is far greater than the number of deaths for previous centuries (Tilling, 1991). The reason behind this increase is not due to increased volcanism, but due, instead, to an increase in the amount of people populating the flanks of active volcanoes and valley areas near those volcanoes (Tilling, 1991 and Hall, 1991).

Source

Of course that is not the whole period, but if 200,000 lost their lives in 500 years Banda Aceh at 240,000+ from a single quake I would think that volcanoes would have a job beating earthquakes as a cause of death.

The total of deaths from earthquakes, where the toll was over 1000, since 1900 is 2,306,972 and that does not include Chile and Japan although Chile was not a big number.

edit on 23/10/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I'ts late and I'm tired....been a veeeeerrrryy long day, But I am going to disagree with your quote from Tilling and Lipman....basically because I have seen it proven so somewhere. But I am falling asleep on my sofa, so I shall look into it tomorrow.
Thanks for your "couldn't resist" at least if anyone else tries it I can say you beat them to it!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
new video of Etna erupting again folks and what a pretty show it is .

enjoy ..

www.bbc.co.uk...

Europe's most active volcano, Mount Etna, has begun to spew large plumes of bright orange lava.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Thanks for that, we love to hear her.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
What On Earth: Volcanoes

Some may be interested in this potted view of volcanoes. Interesting the figure of 539 volcanoes known to be active out of 1500 since that last ice age.

Following the link at the bottom I got to the start of the What On Earth pages and you may also find things of interest there. This is not highly technical stuff, just things explained in a simple easy way.

Enjoy!

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join