It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom Accused Of Being Grinch: Returns Shop With A Cop Merchandise For Cash

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

Originally posted by mtnshredder
reply to post by hotbakedtater

edit on 20-12-2010 by Whereweheaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Shop with a Cop apparently accepts donations from the community. If you avail yourself of a charity for a specific purpose, then do something else with what they've provided to you (for a specific purpose) that's called fraud. The program is to get gifts for children. If she did something else, it isn't so much stealing from the cop as it is taking a place in the line that could've been used by another family for gifts for their children.

Surprisingly enough, there's a limited amount of charity to go around, and not everyone who wants, gets.

In some locations, donations are plentiful. In others, the local police dip deeply into their own pockets to make sure as many families as possible can participate.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
With your logic Hotbakedwhatever, charitable organizations are bad and should be eradicated! The mother's action is what ruined this x-mas, not the program. Your remarks only solidify your ignorance.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

And another thought (Oh yes, sometimes they come so quickly I barely have time to notice
)

There's a big difference between a gift and what's going on here. If I see someone on the street and hand them an unsolicited item, that's a gift. They can exchange it, sell it, throw it in the trash and I have no moral authority to feel outraged. If someone signs up for a public charitable program designed for a specific purpose and then does something else with whatever they received as a result of signing up that's very, very different.

She didn't receive a gift from the cop. She took advantage of a charitable situation for her own purposes. What those purposes were, remains to be seen.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
If a cop really wants to help out these families, they should take them shopping for things they really need for there families.

Such as:

Food
Medical supplies
Clothes
Pay for there Utility Bills
Child care so they can go to work
Even pay for a car or apartment payment or two.

Any other basic needs that these kids lack.

I do not agree with giving or getting cash, as it can be used for things not for the kids. (drugs ect...)

As for Toys, My daughter has so perfectly good many toys she actually wants to give away.

Kids don't care whether the toy is first hand, second hand, or 5th hand, as long as it's new to them and works just fine.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
reply to post by thegoodearth

So, her legal behavior you find disgusting, but it is AOK for the pigs to illegally jail this woman and break up a family? OK.

Here, try another link:

Deputy Bryan Rogers, with the Meade County Sheriff's Department, said he truly felt the spirit of Christmas following the annual Fraternal Order of Police "Shop With A Cop" event on December 11. Rogers helped four deserving kids find toys and warm clothes for the winter during the event.

Imagine the wave of emotion that he faced when he learned the mother of the children had returned the gifts for cash the following day. Rogers said that he was both angry that an adult would steal Christmas from a child, and saddened that the presents given through the generosity of the community, via the FOP, had been taken away.

After consulting with the county attorney & the district court judge, a warrant for theft by deception under $300 was issued for the suspect, 28-year-old Amanda J. Beard of Brandenburg. She was taken into custody on Friday afternoon and lodged in the Meade County Jail. Beard will be arraigned in Meade District Court on Wednesday.

www.whas11.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by thewholepicture

It says in this link, that this ''Shop with a Cop'' scheme in Kentucky, includes buying clothes for the children if they need them:

www.wkyt.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Annual Shop with a Cop

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AgentSmith

Projecting much? It is a debate on a web board. I am not full of rage, I thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss.

The cops actions are disgusting to me, and I merely posted my opinion about it.

But thanks for using my thread to call me ignorant, great debate technique, personal attacks vs discussing the topic.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Those whom oppose your view are simply identifying that your " hatred ' for the cops ( bare in mind I have little respect for any LEO ), is based off emotion. Time and time again throughout your argument, you have not only failed to submit facts that would be on the contrary, but you have lacked the ability to conjure up a constructive thought that would debunk the those whom disagree with you. Yes, i have noticed personal inquiries to your personal life. However, those who have, were simply trying to establish a scenario based question to you. Instead of acknowledging this fact, you took these inquiries as a personal attack to you. Which is clearly not the case.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Ok, as a former law enforcement officer I will give my POV.

First, I believe she needed the money/cash badly, so I would wager she has a substance abuse problem and is trading the goods for cash, then going to buy drugs. Why did she take back all the toys and not just half of them? Logic, and reason go out the window when people are addicts. Classic signs of an addict.

Second, There are plenty of social programs available to pay bills, rent, utilities, and food. And again I would wager she knows how to work everyone of them.

Thirdly, they will make an example out of her, since it is in the media now, they most likely will reduce or plea bargain it down to time served, or community service, but they will not let it go.

And lastly, When a parent uses a child as a pawn for deceptive practices, it is one the lowest form of human behavior out there.
edit on 20-12-2010 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
Second, There are plenty of social programs available to pay bills, rent, utilities, and food.

See that's my thought exactly. A charitable program designed to get some presents for kids is being horribly misused when something like this happens. If it was from her uncle, it's a gift. If she was randomly stopped on the street and handed something, it's a gift. This isn't a "gift", in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
It's just too difficult to tell about the entire situation from the information given, whether she planned on purchasing other gifts for her children with the money or if she planned to use the money on herself in a way that did not benefit the children directly (food, shelter, medical care, other gifts). If the mother already has a police record, the officer may well be correct to assume that the money would not have been spent on the children but rather in a way that would ultimately be detrimental to them. If the latter were to be the case I can see using the fraud charge as a first step in dealing with the situation. I don't think it's fair to assume it to be the case without more information.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoodearth

So, these kids were able to choose their own gifts and bring them home after a happy day where they are treated...

Then, their mother takes their gifts away and turns them in for cash???

I find her behavior disgusting.

I, TOTALLY, agree - it is extremely disgusting, to me!! Those kids do not deserve this! That being said, I do not believe she should be arrested for this behavior. Maybe the cop should take the $$ and buy the gifts for the children, wrap them, and present them on Christmas! Mother needs to be investigated for neglect! If she did THIS, I am sure there have been others times where she has ignored the needs of the kids!!

You know?? I have been caretaking my 76 year old mom since March 2010. Had to resign from my job as she needs 24 hour care. Even though I do receive some compensation for having to do this and receive $$ for it, my income has been reduced to, at least, half of what I have made in previous years. Needless to say, this has severely affected us financially.

Mom has been very restricted in what she can buy the grandkids. She has NEVER had this restricted a Christmas and it devastates me! As sick as she has been, this could be her last Christmas. My hope is NOT and I care for her with the intent of her being around a few more years and I pray for that.

It would have been GREAT for someone to have 'sponsored' her so she could provide them with decent gifts this year - and feel good about herself because she always got them something special. What this mother, and her kids, received was a wonderful gift. Even needing the $$ for bills would not be a good excuse for doing this. Far too many ways to get help with bills already. This was meant to be Christmas for her kids....

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
$10.00 says if she finds the right lawyer she will get that Christmas miracle all right. I'd be willing to bet she has a case against the system and she could stand to win a boat load of money. Not saying it is right but I can definitely see a greasy law firm somewhere drooling over this.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Though I haven't read anything that said she returned it all (I'd like to know). I agree, maybe t's just my experience from living here, but my mind immediately jumps to prescription pill abuse. It is waay out of hand here in Kentucky nowadays (oxycontin followed by xanax). I would bet the farm on that. She is the one that ruined the day, her and her alone.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I agree that going to jail for this is extreme and should not have happened.
All of you that say that there are social programs that help with bills, well I know for a fact, that they only give you a small amount for your electric bill..I had to use it once..they do not help with your rent, or medicine, at least not in my town.
That being said..if she really did need money for something, she should have told the cop that she needed money for that purpose, instead of gifts. At least, they may have tried to help.
I also think it's horrible to take away presents from her kids..I'm sorry, I've lived extremely poor before and I would never do that.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

Though you make a valid point, it still doesn't absolve her from " knowingly " par taking in the program which I'm sure ( cant find anything at the moment ) had qualifying requirements that she submitted too.
Fact still remains, she had intent.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

You put that very well. I feel sorry for her kids; boy, they must have been disappointed. What a scammer! People need to get involved with their churches and community centers, whether they need or want to give help. We have to support each other.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

Though you make a valid point, it still doesn't absolve her from " knowingly " par taking in the program which I'm sure ( cant find anything at the moment ) had qualifying requirements that she submitted too.
Fact still remains, she had intent.

Agreed, what she did was wrong..but being jailed is extreme, they took this mother away from the children at what is supposed to be a special time of the year..sad all the way around.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join