It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winter Solstice, Lunar Eclipse Overlap First Time In 456 Years

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Do you need a telescope to see anything and what am i looking for?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
There's about 20 odd of my friends that are going to watch it in my mates garden. We're in the UK and the moon's going to be very low in the sky during totality so we might not be able to see all that much - in any case it's an event worth marking.

More people should look up more often, the sky at night is immense! : )

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Nice, I didn't know this, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Second line.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
For you OP Misior

As My family in Generations has done this since i can remember ! Bonfires ! Celebration ! Celtic Side !

Winter Solstice

Death and Resurrection show!!!!

Winter Solstice
en.wikipedia.org...

Symbolic

Since the event is seen as the reversal of the Sun's ebbing presence in the sky, concepts of the birth or rebirth of sun gods have been common and, in cultures using winter solstitially based cyclic calendars, the year as reborn has been celebrated with regard to life-death-rebirth deities or new beginnings such as Hogmanay's redding, a New Year cleaning tradition. In Greek mythology, the gods and goddesses met on the winter and summer solstice, and Hades is permitted to enter Mount Olympus [his domain is the underworld so he of course does not get accepted any other time]. Also reversal is another usual theme as in Saturnalia's slave and master reversals.

Thank You for Posting ! hmm 456 Years a Change ..

edit on 19-12-2010 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up.

We've had storm after storm lately here in Washington state, I hope we can get a break for this event.

Originally posted by Outrageo
You're invited!:Eclipse Party!

The Place: Newport Beach, CA

I'd be there if I wasn't over 1000 miles north of you.

Lived nearby in HB many years ago, nice beach.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
My sister is interested in astrology and She told me that on tuesday there is a great chance that something bad will occure. Anyone agree with this statement?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
As beautiful as this celestial event will be visually the ramifications for us on earth is not that great. This alignment will signal the start of the prophesied red moon which heralds the arrival of the world avatar.

The mayan elders know too well of the significance of this event and have been helping mankind come to terms with it.

Physically many will die but we must remember that this world is only an illusion and that the spirit is what counts.
This is leading us up and into 2012 and many things will take place between now and then however this event is the event that begins the motion of the unfolding.

Keep your hats on and buckle up... its gonna get real bumpy!!
edit on 19-12-2010 by nakiannunaki because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

From the NASA link you posted:

Coincidences (UPDATED): This lunar eclipse falls on the date of the northern winter solstice. How rare is that? Total lunar eclipses in northern winter are fairly common. There have been three of them in the past ten years alone. A lunar eclipse smack-dab on the date of the solstice, however, is unusual. Geoff Chester of the US Naval Observatory inspected a list of eclipses going back 2000 years. "Since Year 1, I can only find one previous instance of an eclipse matching the same calendar date as the solstice, and that is 1638 DEC 21," says Chester. "Fortunately we won't have to wait 372 years for the next one...that will be on 2094 DEC 21."

Cool, so I only have to wait till I am 113 years old till the next one!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

i am only a dabbler in astrology, but am very interested... correct me, please, if i am misinformed... my piscean friend who, i firmly believe, has access to the akashic records told me that this is when pisceans will no longer be able to inadvertently draw energy from the moon... i have felt a strong current of change as of late, being a piscean, i feel a strong need to become a lot more dependent on myself (spiritually and cognitively)... that's really all i had to say... for now.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Wonder if the new world order elite clowns have anything planned

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by FPB214
Good luck to everyone. I know my mother got me a telescope for Christmas, as that is the only thing I asked for. A Celestron Powerseeker Eq 114. Thing is, I dont get it until 5 days after this eclipse. I want to open it and take it out to see this up close bad, but I guess i'll just get some binoculars. Either way, im going to stay up all 3-4 hours here in Florida, and soak it in. Last time I viewed a total eclipse I was in 5th grade and didn't even care much for what it was. Now I will look upon it as spectacular.

Well, maybe she'll let you have your Christmas present early if you tell her that this is a special eclipse.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I just hope it will be clear sky,i mean no rain

This event will be so awesome because not much people have the chance to see this.I am grateful to be in generation to witness this miracle of nature.
My telescope is ready!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads-up! I was already aware of the coming eclipse, but somehow managed not to realize the significance of the date, tying it together with the Winter Solstice. With luck, the storm system here will break long enough for a good view.
I see that most of Ireland & parts of Scotland & Great Britain will be able to see at least part of the eclipse. What a rush it would be to be able to watch the eclipse at a place like Newgrange, for example, then stay over to watch the Winter Solstice sunrise as it illuminates the chamber!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
*bump*

I'm bumping this up, as I feel this is interesting info....I hope that we all get clear skies the evening of this event. Thanks for the info op..

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I'm confused, one link sites NASA as saying the last such eclipse happened in 1554, but on NASA.gov, it says 1638, 84 years difference.

The last time the two celestial events happened at the same time was in AD 1554, according to NASA.

Geoff Chester of the US Naval Observatory inspected a list of eclipses going back 2000 years. "Since Year 1, I can only find one previous instance of an eclipse matching the same calendar date as the solstice, and that is 1638 DEC 21," says Chester.

Maybe the NASA site was updated.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I won't be able to see it from were i live,but I'm gonna partyyyyyyyy
because it will be my birthday.I'm a solstice baby,worship me

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Like there will be another one in 2094, there was probably one in 1554 and 1638. Seems their is an 84 year gap, then a 372 year gap, then an 84 year gap then a 372 year gap so on and so forth...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
I'm confused, one link sites NASA as saying the last such eclipse happened in 1554, but on NASA.gov, it says 1638, 84 years difference.

Yes I was/am confused about this too. At first I thought on the NASA site they were just looking for the most recent "solstice" eclipse, not just the winter solstice. I thought this because the article then goes into when another lunar eclipse happens on a solstice but not the winter solstice.
edit on 19-12-2010 by Dogmire because: accidentally made my comment appear in the quoted text..

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The bonfire is stacked, the drum is tuned, the caps are steeping and the dancing boots are ready. My favorite celebration of the year is almost here and this year its special. I've been debating whether the eclipse amplifies the Moon or unbalances it?
IMO the feminine spirit has been oppressed for a long long time and the girls need to dominate the stage to calm the collective ego of the male dominated earth.
Regardless I celebrate the end of the Sun's fall and the beginning of the rise !!!

Anyone have any info about the solstice 456 years ago? (Or whenever this last happened)
edit on 19-12-2010 by MinorityReporter because: Add context

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic

The last time the two celestial events happened at the same time was in AD 1554, according to NASA.

Geoff Chester of the US Naval Observatory inspected a list of eclipses going back 2000 years. "Since Year 1, I can only find one previous instance of an eclipse matching the same calendar date as the solstice, and that is 1638 DEC 21," says Chester.

I do know that NASA's moon phase data has been found to be incorrect...I have a thread on it somewhere. I would have to research this a bit to know which date is the right one though. I cant say NASA is wrong again without looking into it.

Maybe the NASA site was updated.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join