It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winter Solstice, Lunar Eclipse Overlap First Time In 456 Years

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+36 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
macedoniaonline.eu...

This year's winter solstice — an event that will occur next Tuesday — will coincide with a full lunar eclipse in a union that hasn't been seen in 456 years.

The celestial eccentricity holds special significance for spiritualities that tap into the energy of the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year and a time that is associated with the rebirth of the sun.

"It's a ritual of transformation from darkness into light," says Nicole Cooper, a high priestess at Toronto's Wiccan Church of Canada. "It's the idea that when things seem really bleak, (it) is often our biggest opportunity for personal transformation.

"The idea that the sun and the moon are almost at their darkest at this point in time really only further goes to hammer that home."

Cooper said Wiccans also see great significance in the unique coupling of the masculine energy of the sun and the feminine energy of the moon — transformative energies that she plans to incorporate into the church's winter-solstice ritual.

This will be very interesting, I cannot wait.

1:30 AM Tuesday morning until 5:30 AM Eastern Standard Time will be when you can view this magnificent event that last occurred in 1554 AD.

I thought I would share this here on ATS so everyone can plan on watching.
edit on Sat Dec 18 2010 by DontTreadOnMe because: edit in ex tags, instead of quote tags MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Please post a comment instead of just S+F. This thread needs to stay on the front page so more people can have the opportunity to view this and schedule to see the event.

Bump

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I hope it is clear! When I tried to view the meteor shower a few weeks back - no luck - too overcast. This is also on the front page of Drudge so many people will know about it - don't worry

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Here you go everyone, check out your weather forecast for Monday Night.

www.accuweather.com...

Just type in your zip code, then click 'extended forecast', click on Monday, and it will show the night time which is Monday Night/Tuesday Morning.

For everyone who lives in Canada or elsewhere in the world accuweather has the forecast for you city as well.

As for where I live, it will be 40F and absolutely clear.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Thank you very much for the heads up. I will be there.

I'm getting serious into shoe string backyard astronomy. By christmas night my little little telescope should be outfitted with a digital imager. In anticipation I bought a 12 meter USB extention with booster and a 50 ft ethernet cable for the telescope hand controller. I plan to run everything back to my home PC in the living room.

If the concept works it will be very nice for winter time viewing.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Don't bet on it! They promised me it would be clear for the meteor shower - they LIED, lol - I remember last winter they were constantly promising highs above 32 that never materialized (that is very important to me as it makes watering the horses easier), always just a few days away ...

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
This is a great alignment!

We have the Sun sitting in the direction of the galactic center (from Earths perspective) and we have the Moon sitting at the 'antigalactic center' which is opposite of the Suns direction on the other side of the Earth.

The Sun sits just a few degrees into Sagittarius which is known as the 'gateway of the gods' since this is the direction towards our galactic center. While the moon sits on the other side of Earth in the direction between Taurus and Gemini...and THIS places the Moon on the cusp of Orion (right at the top of Orion's sword). This area between Taurus and Gemini (anti-galactic center) is known as the 'gateway of man'.

While the Sun enters its time that it seems to die and be reborn over 3 days time, the Moon will enter the cusp of Orion and ride this cusp for 3 days time.

We have the Gateway of man, the moon, the earth, the sun, and the gateway of the gods....all aligned nicely.

This is about choices and consciousness/awareness.

Jupiter...the ruler/king/order...will sit on a cusp of Pisces (our current age) and Aquarius (our coming age).

Saturn will be seen in Virgo...the comforter in the womb.

Venus can be found in Libra...the feminine energy bringing and securing balance.

Mars like all things is a dual attribute and sits in Sagittarius with the Sun. It can show a need to heal with this alignment.

The cosmos never force things onto us...but offer us opportunities for reflection, awareness, choices.

These positions I give are not based on modern day astrology but is based on where you can really find all the spheres if you look to the sky (astronomy).

It does not have to be a clear night in order to observe within you this alignment. If you are aware its there...you can find it within you just the same and feel it outside of you as well. We have what I call a inner compass to the energy of the cosmos....we are of them just as we are of all life and its cycles.
edit on 18-12-2010 by LeoVirgo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Heres a couple of links you may all find better to have read than not?
science.nasa.gov...
www.goroadachi.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
M as you know I am in Italy right now. So would I be able to see this? It's going to be an amazing thing and I wish I had my telescope!!! I knew I should have checked it lol.

So can this be viewed from Naples? If so what time should I look if at all??

Thanks

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Here's a tidbit. Tuesday in Norse mythology was represented by the god Týr who was portrayed as a one-handed man.
en.wikipedia.org...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5b6f5e39ad4d.jpg[/atsimg]

Makes me thing of the "Hidden Hand" threads as they relate to the Illuminati.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Well the view will not be so good in Italy.

But here in North America it will be exceptional.

eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8ace26e6932d.png[/atsimg]

science.nasa.gov...

The luster will be a bit "off" on Dec. 21st, the first day of northern winter, when the full Moon passes almost dead-center through Earth's shadow. For 72 minutes of eerie totality, an amber light will play across the snows of North America, throwing landscapes into an unusual state of ruddy shadow.

The eclipse begins on Tuesday morning, Dec. 21st, at 1:33 am EST (Monday, Dec. 20th, at 10:33 pm PST). At that time, Earth's shadow will appear as a dark-red bite at the edge of the lunar disk. It takes about an hour for the "bite" to expand and swallow the entire Moon. Totality commences at 02:41 am EST (11:41 pm PST) and lasts for 72 minutes.

If you're planning to dash out for only one quick look -­ it is December, after all -­ choose this moment: 03:17 am EST (17 minutes past midnight PST). That's when the Moon will be in deepest shadow, displaying the most fantastic shades of coppery red.

edit on Sat Dec 18 2010 by DontTreadOnMe because: sub ex tags for quote tags

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I have to go to court this day for child custody issues. My ex wife has a (astrology) moon type personality. I see this eclipse as a sign that the court will be in my favor and she will be shadowed.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
You're invited!:Eclipse Party!

The Time: 10:30pm to 2:30am Pacific Time.
The Place: Newport Beach, CA
Attire: Hawaii style, brah!

Bring: blanket, favorite beverage, and a hunk of wood or two for the fire ring

Bonus: Come early to watch the decked-out yachts in the lights-parade around the harbor before we head to the Eclipse Party party further down the beach!

(thanks for the heads-up, just a friendly bump to remind those on the US west coast about the event...)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Will this be visible in Australia? Melbourne to be exact.

S&F for the thread as well.
edit on 18-12-2010 by aRogue because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by aRogue
Will this be visible in Australia? Melbourne to be exact.

S&F for the thread as well.
edit on 18-12-2010 by aRogue because: (no reason given)

Total Lunar Eclipse with Two Unusual Occultations – Dec 20/21
www.bautforum.com...

There will be a total lunar eclipse entirely visible from North America on the night of 2010 DEC 20/21. Observers in the UK will only witness the opening phases of the eclipse including entry into totality before the Moon sets. Australians can see the final partial and penumbral stages after moonrise.

During the eclipse some lucky observers will be treated to occultations of the asteroid 348 May and/or the open cluster NGC 2129. These occultations will require those watching to have telescopes. The asteroid has a magnitude of +12.9. The open cluster is 2.5 arcminutes in diameter with a combined magnitude of +6.7.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

Great summary!

We use these same constellational works in Ind-Tibetan astrology. Called 'sidereal' (as per the stars or constellations) astrology in the West, it results in a different position for all of the usual planets.

I might add that Neptune is in Aquarius and Uranus is in Pisces, not far from Jupiter. This is a close coordination between the works of the true heart and communities and the future. In other words, it is no chance who you're getting together with these days.

Right now we have several planets in the sidereal sign of Sagittarius - Pluto, Mars, Sun, Mercury retrograde most importantly very close to one another - around the cusp of that lunar eclipse in the Indian constellation Mula, which means root - probably the ancients intuited that is where the Milky Way's center is.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing this news. I will try to catch it. Hope the thread makes it to the front page.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Heres a couple of links you may all find better to have read than not?
science.nasa.gov...
www.goroadachi.com...

Are you pointing to the significance of "red moon" and/or "red dawn"?

I was enthusiastic at first, but after reading a bit more, maybe I don't want to see this event after all.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
We always have a feast on this day. We do it up pretty big time here. The eclipse will make me sleepy at work on Wednesday. I have to do some video of it. I have no telescope but do have a 70X optical zoom camcorder. I will need to get a full battery charge and my biggest SD card out for this one.

Can't wait.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Good luck to everyone. I know my mother got me a telescope for Christmas, as that is the only thing I asked for. A Celestron Powerseeker Eq 114. Thing is, I dont get it until 5 days after this eclipse. I want to open it and take it out to see this up close bad, but I guess i'll just get some binoculars. Either way, im going to stay up all 3-4 hours here in Florida, and soak it in. Last time I viewed a total eclipse I was in 5th grade and didn't even care much for what it was. Now I will look upon it as spectacular.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join