It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sun's Gravity Could Be Used to Create an Interstellar Communications Network

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   

The Sun's Gravity Could Be Used to Create an Interstellar Communications Network

www.space.com

Our own sun might represent the best communications device around, if only we could harness its power, scientists say.

If the sun's gravity could be used to create a giant telescope, people could send and receive intensely magnified signals that could allow us to call an alien civilization, some researchers propose.

According to Einstein's general relativity, the sun's behemoth mass warps space-time around it, which actually bends light rays passing by like a giant lens. If a detector was..
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.surfingtheapocalypse.net
io9.com
www.setyoufreenews.com
edit on 18-12-2010 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/86db64bded1c.jpg[/atsimg]

The Sun's tremendous gravitational pull actually warps the fabric of space around it, creating focal points where light comes together. We could use these focal points to build the most powerful telescopes ever and communicate with spaceships in Alpha Centauri.
General relativity tells us that the Sun's huge mass actually warps the space-time around it, which in turn bends the light passing around it. This creates focal points away from the Sun where the bent light converges, in much the same way a lens can focus all the light that passes through it onto a single point. If we were to put a detector at one of these focal points, all the image and information drawn from the light passing through would be intensely magnified, instantly creating an extremely powerful telescope.

Would be great to see humanity have this in operation one day. If we ever have probes or even people on Worlds in our Galactic neighborhood it would be nice to know we could send all the latest news, events, information between each other. Very interesting. Even though it`s not within our generation.

And

It seems we were trying to find extraterrestrial communications in the wrong way, i mean, via radio signals. hehehe.

www.space.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 18-12-2010 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
This could be the Michio Kaku's type 2 interstellar communications network:

Michio Kaku vs SETI: ET communication plus aliens and physics:

This is really cool.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Michio Kaku 3 types of Civilizations

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
it sounds neat and all...

but are we to believe really if they are gonna harness the sun's power or plan to.
would they really stick to use it for "communication purposes"?

it's like technology wasn't ever developed first for military purposes, and when those run out, they just dump it on the people like "hey new tech guys, here spend your paper currency on this"

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
That would be cool as heck if we could harness the sun's power for communications with other civilizations outside of our own solar system.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
hi thanks for bringing this to our collective attension
this is an area of science that could provide the best yet pictures of other worlds and stars
the idea is that waves can be focused and magnifyed to observe other worlds
the other interesting idea is for communication between worlds, or space craft

source

this picture shows the expected lensing effect
if we combine the sun and jupiters gravatational lens we get a moving lens in which to "sweep" across vast reigions of space at high magnifycation

this effect and the dual satalite configeration makes a large two piece space based telescope
or super high gain antenna for radio ect

quite interesting op S+F

xploder
edit on 18-12-2010 by XPLodER because: add link to source

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

Good point. But I guess they did not dare to do something like this.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Hey XPLdoER, thanks for the info. It would be really interesting if it can be done. What I also find interesting is that Michio Kaku had expected something like that. The guy really has talent. hehe

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

what gets really interesting is if we can use the information from CLASH
Cluster Lensing And Supernova survey with Hubble.

to combine the lensing effect from micro lensing and gravitational lensing
this could provide a look into the distant past and inform us about the galaxy formation on the edge of the known universe.

C.L.A.S.H. nasa

the great thing about micro lensing is the ability to launch micro satalites with fold away reflector surfaces and
group lense them in orbit providing a massive area to use as the focal element.
this makes the focal range huge and the ability to image very distent and faint objects with a high degree of acuracy.

the "group" of satalites can combine the surface area to get a much larger space based telescope

xploder

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
here is a visualisation of spherical lenses

not gravatational but refractive lensing
just an example of how it would work

xploder

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
This is absolutely incredibly awesome!

I wish I had more to add, but I don't, so I'll stop here.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

to combine the lensing effect from micro lensing and gravitational lensing
this could provide a look into the distant past and inform us about the galaxy formation on the edge of the known universe.

I would not be surprised if we found there were the end of a black hole

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

if that was the case there would be no bruises from previous contraction expansion cycles
i like the other thread you have linked
but i wounder if my own opinion is quite as simple

theory follows
there is more than one observeable universe and they are grouped together
there is an out side force that callapses the universes together causing compresion inside each if the spherical universes, this superheats the material inside the universal spheres and causes a loss of contractive force due to heat induced expansion and loss of forces due to the break down of the four forces because of heat.
this causes the compresion phase to stop and the expansive forces to over come the compresion and the expansive phase to start.
as the heat expansion cools the streanght of the four forces increases till the expansion and forces ballence.
then the universal bubble over inflates, hits its limit of inflation and is cooled by over expansion generation an over ballence of the four forces.
this then starts the contraction phase and the cycle repeats

the bruises are from the universal spheres colliding on the outside of the speheres diameter as they collapse together.

this is my interpretation of the evedence and a theory only
maby the big bang is more a series of contracting and expanding
than a bang

xploder

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

MultiPhase Gravitons & Tachyons in 3 Dimensions instead of the usual 11 dimensions for the "M:" wave

multiphase frequencies and harmonics according to the variable speeds of light (or any radiating particle) as a general medium split into visible light at a constant of "C"

Use 3 dimensions only for the following faster than / slower than light applications explaining why some form of raditaion fromthe sun are slower and faster than "C", very simple.

slower communications can be below the speed of "C" (previously proven by myself and other scientists and published) re: time lag for lower frequencies fromthe sun.

faster communications can be above the speed of "C" (previously proven by myself and other scientists and published) re: time lag for lower frequencies fromthe sun.

Therefore there is a 3 fold phase harmonic fractal, "C" +1 (or +N), "C" +0 (or "C" = "C" or "N") and "C" -1 (or "C" - N)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

this is my interpretation of the evedence and a theory only
maby the big bang is more a series of contracting and expanding
than a bang

Interisting theory. I think we can be the end of a black hole of another universe. I made a thread about this sometime ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
this isn't a new idea.

Von Eshleman first proposed a mission to the focal point in the 1970s. Frank drake also proposed seti missions to the focal poiint in the 1980s.

but no one has put more thought into a FOCAL mission than Claudio Maccone ( the guy interviewed in the article). The Italian physicist led a 1992 conference that investigated mission concepts, and submitted a proposal to the European Space Agency the following year. His 1997 book The Sun As a Gravitational Lens: Proposed Space Missions is an exhaustive analysis of the topic now in its 3rd edition.

It seems we were trying to find extraterrestrial communications in the wrong way, i mean, via radio signals.

no , if seti sent a probe to the focal point it would still be searching for radio waves or light beacons as it is just now. Lensing acts as a magnifier it means they can pick up very low powered signals. 550 au is a long way away. It would take 150 years to send a probe there at the speed the voyager craft are doing.

Michio Kaku 3 types of Civilizations

he's talking about the Kardashev scale , its not his idea en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 22-1-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

I enjoy reading your theory.

Ive often wondered something similar, but would it be possible for our universe to continually expand and contract without going through the "big bang" process. As in the universe never fully contracts but is always going between contraction/inflation trying to find a balance.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Science is the curious child that must be allowed to fall in order to learn to get up.

The Sun is and always has been part of a universal network where communication is one piece.

We are the hardware, the Sun is the delivery mechanism of our firmware, the spirit is the user of the software.

All is mind - The Kybalion

new topics

top topics

join