It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barely bareable television

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Lets start

Reality TV on cable...life time dramas about depressed over privilidged idiots (jersey shore?), over sexed middle aged women and confused teenagers are a dime a dozen along with all the court room shows that mostly have strong feminist agendas and just have a judge telling people to shut up and not completely express all the facts. Ive seen REAL court room proceedings they are NOT like this.

Failed TV shows that are may still return - Glee and any thing to do with vampires

Thats about all I can think of for now whats yours?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

I'm annoyed by all the Jersey shows. The original, the hair salon one, the wedding one, whatever else there may be. They are making Italian Americans look ridiculous. All the desperate housewives knock off reality shows, boring and who cares. The ones with people who have a million kids, it is like they are running a hotel. I can't stand the whole Sister Wives thing, not necessarily because of plural marriage, but because of the guy and the sexism involved. Or the new one about bridal plastic surgery, that is probably the most sad reflection on society of them all. What is more sad though is how many people I know who actually want to watch these programs.

But, I must say...I love anything vampires, even if it is cheesy or unoriginal. It's from reading too much Anne Rice as a kid.

Actually, I take that back, not anything vampires, but most. I didn't partake in Buffy, for example.
edit on 12/16/2010 by SpaceJ because: thought

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I think the programs abotu surgery and how its changed some one life by having breat implants serves only to increase superficial behaviour in people. Throw in the trust fund kids in kardashians, jersey sore who are glorified whores and there you have brainwashed a generation.

edit on 16-12-2010 by q_ball because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Christmas adverts.

I've been subjected to them for over a month now and each time I have to listen to one, I want to cry

The stupid programmes and repeats are bad enough, but the same old, loud, hardsell, desperate, bloody ads will drive me to do something that will result in me not being here for the Day Itself when it finally arrives.

In fact, these ads have been going on for so long it feels as if Christmas must have surely been and gone. Oh what a relief that will be.......

Except, immediately after Christmas dinner the holiday ads will start. Where's the suicide smiley when you want one?

And, I DON'T EVEN WANT TO WATCH THE TV IN THE FIRST PLACE. It's not my fault it's on.

Sob.........

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Yes, similar to Christmas commercials, that's how I feel about the campaign ad commercials and attack ads for politicians. I hardly turn the TV on during those times. And to think how many people base their votes off those things.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
On fox8 I notice the two main adverts are LIFE INSURANCE and CREDITCARDS. Im seriously thinking WTH?!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I pretty much eschew all reality shows except Survivor and the two main Dancing ones (Dancing with the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance). Admittedly, the attraction to the dance shows is simply cute gals in skimpy outfits, but I like what I like...

For Survivor, I've watched it since the beginning, and it's fun to watch some contestants be crafty as hell, while others are just plain stupid in their actions or decisions. It's a great voyeurism type show...like you are in on this little mini-world.

And I'm definitely against any show with "Jersey" in the title. I just don't get this whole thing. Having been to Jersey (once, and by mistake...and my apologies if you are from there), I will NEVER ever want to go back.

My other beef, all the dang Crime shows. I have enough Drama in my life, I want escapism. Give me sitcoms like Big Bang Theory, or @#$% My Dad Says, etc. If I want more serious stuff, I'll flip over the History and Learning channels for docs, etc. How many CSI's and Law and Orders do we really need? (and why do they succeed?)

My wife, for instance, is a big fan of Law and Order SVU. This show is SO formulaic. Without fail, about 20 min in, they'll have "the guy", but of course, there is still another half hour, so you KNOW it's the wrong guy...yadda yadda yadda....

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I like the reality shows such as American Pickers and Pawn Stars.

Most of the other stuff is crap,crap,crap.

The Kardashian sisters have long ago spent their 15 min. of fame.

All those other shows about dancing and singing etc. suck too.

The world has become nothing more than fools led by idiots.

Nobody can come up with a original idea anymore.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Sometimes I can find 200 percent more entertainment value in a well put together Youtube clip.
Than 10 hours of regular television (whatever that means).
It's quality, not quantity.
Or I have a short attention sp.........hey look at the kitty!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

take a peek at the south park episode where they skewer the jersey housewives and jersey shore. best 25 minutes I've spent all year.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I think the appeal with svu is it generally makes all men look like they are evil and generally has a subtle to strong feminist agenda hence why women love it

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

Maybe... Personally though, I can even watch it, mostly for the two lead actors. They have a good chemistry, even if she does scare me a bit, hehe...

take a peek at the south park episode where they skewer the jersey housewives and jersey shore. best 25 minutes I've spent all year.

The "It's a Snooki" comment alone is worth tuning in for, hehe...that was classic. For the member mentioning YouTube vids, just check out Tosh.0 (a clip show of just that, with a great host who isn't afraid to get right into these things)...

top topics

join