It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revenge of the Nerds - They have better health later in life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Maybe surprisingly a new study has found that those who make better grades in high school have better health as adults.

Good grades in high school linked to better health, study finds

Its actually a long study that has involved the same group of people since 1953 (when they were in high school) to today.

The report on academic performance and health looked at links between educational attainment, high school academic performance, personality and psychological characteristics, and late-life health among high school graduates.

Herd's findings showed that the higher a study participant's high school rank was, the lower the probability that participant experienced worsening health between 1992 and 2003, when the class members neared retirement age.

Researchers are still working to learn more about why academic performance is linked to better health outcomes.

As stated above they are still looking at why this is.

My personal thought is that it is probably a result of many factors. While they may not be as athletically inclined the "nerds" better education may lead to them getting jobs that are physically safer and less injury prone. For example, a programmer instead of construction worker. Likewise they may be less prone to drink, smoke, etc to excess. Lastly, they may simply be less likely to utter the phrase - "Hold my beer and watch this..."

Anyway, that's my two cents on why I think it is
edit on 16-12-2010 by Frogs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I think this equates to... General Intelligence = Healthier Choices. I wouldn't say nerds, because nerds aren't the only people who get good grades in high school. The smarter the individual the more likely they are to make intelligent choices that help preserve their health and life. Least thats my take on it. Seems like common sense, but at least there is some evidence to back it now.

There are plenty of people who got awful grades in HS that get cushy desk jobs. Nowhere in the article does it say anything about nerds though. This thread might be more appropriately named "Study Shows Positive Correlation Between Academic Performance and Health"
edit on 16-12-2010 by ZiggyMojo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
There's also this.

No sex = long life link

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ZiggyMojo

I wouldn't say that is particularly true, you get many 'educated idiots'...Those who can get amazing grades and recall and repeat vast swathes of information yet are still as thick as a 2x4. Probably lacking common sense and as you said general intelligence, which does not bode well in making many decisions.
edit on 16-12-2010 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
There's also this.

No sex = long life link

Somehow I am resisting the urge to spin that into an equation that links the nerds longer life span and lack of sex all to playing WoW. But it isn't easy to resit that urge.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

True, but being educated and being intelligent are two different things. Educated Idiots are more or less machines that regurgitate information. Intelligent people are capable of thought and ideas. So I agree with you, maybe I just didn't convey my thoughts properly with words.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Is this the face of the worlds first true immortal!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9a9b8f5466c3.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Does sex with yourself count?

Video is saying it's malformed, don't know why. The URL I pasted into the code isn't what comes up.

Same thing if I put it into a link.

Oh well, here's a clue as to what I was trying to post:

edit on 16-12-2010 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

You just failed miserably.

Based on the thread's subject matter.. I will venture to guess that your life will be shorter than some of the other people's lives in this thread.

Your video posting skills are lacking. I also do not believe it is possible to have "Sex With Yourself" when compared to the definition of "Sex".

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Most of the popular people I knew in high school are now fat,ugly,have menial jobs, and are married to undesirable wives. It seems they "peak" in high school and gradually begin the downward fall. At the height of their popularity they tend to only think of themselves and how they can benefit from their popularity. They think everything should be handed to them and they fail to learn about independence. I think that attitude negatively affects their health in the long run. The "nerds" however, are joining social clubs, learning how to network, and building a strong foundation to support their future. Anybody who builds these traits early on, is bound to be happy and healthy later on in life. I was a "jock" in high school, and fairly popular. I matured much earlier than most of the guys at my age. It was then that I was able to see right through the popular kids and how shallow and egotistical they were. I wanted nothing to do with them. I found that the best kids to be friends with were the "nerds". They actually had substance and character. I learned a lot from them, things that I carry with me to this day. For that I'm glad I stood up for them when they got bullied by my teammates and popular kids. It is no surprise to see the correlations between good health and academic performance(nerds). It just makes sense. After all, "The meek shall inherit the earth"!
edit on 12/16/2010 by CastleMadeOfSand because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/16/2010 by CastleMadeOfSand because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand

Well, you just nailed it.

My son is extremely athletic and hoping for a scholarship in football, but he also goes against the norm by being a 4.0/national honors student. The main character trait I see in him that I feel many other kids his age are lacking is the ability to take in the big picture. Call it common sense, or intelligence or whatever, but he recognized at a very early age that there is more to life than what is immediately going on around him. This enabled him to develop the necessary coping skills to deal with those realities.

Coping skills. So many of us lack this. So we turn to junk food, or drugs, or alchohol or sex or video games. Those that are able to hit challenges/adversaties head on and learn how to deal with it in a healthy way will always suceed. Period. Those kids (not just nerds) that you see in high school that carry the high grade point average do so because they don't lead a charmed life, but because they know it matters. To them, everything they do in life matters so they APPLY themselves. It is a character trait that will not only take them far in life, but reduce their stress and allow them to be happy where others are miserable. And yes, live longer. Not only longer lives though, but better QUALITY of lives.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Well, there's a clear correlation...

Good Grades>Higher Education>Affluence>Better Health

Yup.

top topics

join